May 03, 2024, 10:11:47 AM

Author Topic: DirecTV Dropping TWC  (Read 79711 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: DirecTV Dropping TWC
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
Thank you. Looks like they shut down the study.

They usually don't last long.  If you sign up for an account on the website you'll get an email when the next survey is ready.  They don't come all that often, however.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »
Noticed that Keith said TWC is back live at 5pm ET. Saturday they were live to 7pm then went to long form.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
Noticed that Keith said TWC is back live at 5pm ET. Saturday they were live to 7pm then went to long form.

Kim just said they will be live until 9pm ET.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
TWC needs to update their guide data. They have been live 2pm-7pm since DTV dropped TWC and my cable box guide and the web TV listings still list reality shows for 2pm-7pm.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
Funny.  :lol:  The irony is that DirecTV owns a show on an NBC network (NBC Sports), and of course NBC owns TWC.  What a tangled web we weave.  :rolleyes:

Offline kcspis1

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
Network Weather Channel posted this on Facebook:  " *** URGENT MESSAGE FROM NETWORK WEATHER CHANNEL ***
There have been rumors running around that our company should buy The Weather Channel. Yes, we are heavily considering that option and a press release will be put out to the press explaining this situation. More in the coming days. STAY TUNED"

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »
Network Weather Channel posted this on Facebook:  " *** URGENT MESSAGE FROM NETWORK WEATHER CHANNEL ***
There have been rumors running around that our company should buy The Weather Channel. Yes, we are heavily considering that option and a press release will be put out to the press explaining this situation. More in the coming days. STAY TUNED"

Whaaaaaaaatttttttt. Would NBC even consider that? Can't wait to hear more..

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »

I'm pretty skeptical on this, so we'll just have to wait and see.  I'm no expert on economics, but I fail to see how a small (I think it's small), up-and-coming company like Network Weather can buy TWC out from a power company like NBC.

And honestly, I feel competition for TWC is better anyway.  With more "weather channels" out there, TWC should adjust its programming rather than doing whatever it wants because it is eh hem, it thinks, it's the only source of weather information out there.

Offline HulkieD

• NOAAs a guy who NOAAs a guy
    • View Profile
    • A Better Forecast
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27098
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »
...well this is novel.

The Weather Channel properties cost about $3.5 billion to acquire.  How Network Weather, a very small startup, would be able to swallow such a big fish is beyond me.  It has happened - tiny Capital Cities Communications ended up buying ABC, thanks in large part to Warren Buffet - but it's still unlikely.

That said, I can see The Weather Channel being sold.

The one thing that I keep saying is that NBCUniversal does not own The Weather Channel.  It owns a stake in The Weather Channel.  Bain Capital and Blackstone Group hold the rest.  In fact, I've heard NBC's stake referred to as a MINORITY one, meaning that Bain and Blackstone probably have more control of the company than NBC.

That said, Bain and Blackstone are private equity firms.  They buy companies, they invest into them, and then they eventually sell their stakes or take the company public.  They don't own companies forever.  At some point they're gonna sell.

What I can see, more than any other outcome, is Bain and Blackstone selling their stakes to NBC/Comcast, giving them 100% control.

And hopefully some adult supervision.

Offline Stormsentinel

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »

And I called Total BS on this looking at their facebook page. Honestly, I'll say they don't have the money to do anything big unless they got MAJOR money behind them... And I HIGHLY doubt that!

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »
Not that I believe such a sale would ever happen even in my wildest dreams, but I would be all for NBC selling the channel to someone who might be able to fix the problems.  The way I look at it, things couldn't get much worse than they have been at TWC, so a change at this point might be good.  I don't see it happening, though.

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2014, 06:53:31 PM »

Once again...

I can't believe it, Network Weather Channel considering buying TWC?! They haven't even launched yet!

...well this is novel.

The Weather Channel properties cost about $3.5 billion to acquire.  How Network Weather, a very small startup, would be able to swallow such a big fish is beyond me.  It has happened - tiny Capital Cities Communications ended up buying ABC, thanks in large part to Warren Buffet - but it's still unlikely.

That said, I can see The Weather Channel being sold.

Yet, not only did Capital Cities acquired ABC, but the Walt Disney Company eventually swallowed up both Capital Cities and ABC with it in 1995, like what Comca$h did to NBC back in 2011. I feel sorry for Network Weather Channel. I just hope TWC doesn't acquire WeatherNation TV like what they did to WeatherUnderground, IntelliCast, and WSI. Either way, it seems like TWC is becoming a monopoly to the television weather business like how ESPN and Fox Sports are to the sports television business.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:07:07 AM by WeatherSTARIII »
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »
I think you misread. NETWORK WEATHER wants to acquire TWC.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
I passed the news on to my FB friends, and I couldn't believe it myself, I thought this was an early April Fool's joke. How they have the capital to even acquire TWC blows my mind, but Dave Schwartz and his partners aren't wasting their time for nothing. These are experienced (likely wealthy) individuals who are giving a run for their money, I hope something works out for them. Who knows what TWC's current evaluation is but I am eager to hear about this on press release, if they do indeed have one coming.