April 27, 2024, 09:56:18 AM

Author Topic: DirecTV Dropping TWC  (Read 79519 times)

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: DirecTV Dropping TWC
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2014, 09:16:51 PM »
I just don't get TWC's rules for when they stay live and when they go to tape.
Last night they ended storm coverage at 8pm though my cable guide said they were going to be on till 11pm.
Tonight there are no active storms and TWC is staying live to 10pm.

you're forgetting the fearsome WINTER STORM KRONOS...

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »
Here's a very interesting analysis of how 4 national weather networks can compete and how each of them can succeed (TWC, WN, Network Weather, Accuweather)
http://hpbear149.livejournal.com/273731.html

Offline HulkieD

• NOAAs a guy who NOAAs a guy
    • View Profile
    • A Better Forecast
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27098
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2014, 10:07:35 PM »
I seriously wonder if he watches his own damn network.

Since 1982, we’ve invested millions of dollars in building a system to display NWS watches and warnings within minutes on a local basis. Folks with vision and hearing problems can access those weather alerts on the Weather Channel.

D* viewers don't get that alert system because they had the satellite feed only.

Also, the recent revamp removed the alert tone and vocal announcement, so those with vision problems don't get the alert. And the new scrolls are so small and go by so fast that it's impossible to make them out.

That's only one of the bullcrap things he says... seriously.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
Last night they ended storm coverage at 8pm though my cable guide said they were going to be on till 11pm.

Yeah, winter weather in south Texas and Louisiana would (well, should) warrant extra coverage. ;)  I guess TWC realizes that there's another part of the country other than the Northeast?

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »

Yeah, winter weather in south Texas and Louisiana would (well, should) warrant extra coverage. ;)  I guess TWC realizes that there's another part of the country other than the Northeast?

i live in louisiana.. we had snow.. interstates are shut down.. but all TWC cares about is Houston.. who got LESS snow than we did.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

i live in louisiana.. we had snow.. interstates are shut down.. but all TWC cares about is Houston.. who got LESS snow than we did.

Houston got snow? I thought they only got ice. There is an unfortunate bias for the Northeast region when it comes to wall to wall coverage. (I do mean 24+ hours straight) There's only a bias towards the Southeast if Atlanta is being affected. Although, I've noticed in the past couple of years, that's not always the case either...

EDIT: To be fair, I do understand the bias, that is where the largest population of people live in our country, so if any threatening weather is in that region it makes sense to be all in on it. If any region of the country feels like outsiders it's the West.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:49:55 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »
I just got invited to take a survey on The Front that focused on DirecTV dropping TWC.  It asked some pretty obvious questions, including who I thought was more to blame, reasons why, and so on.

Offline skian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »
I just got invited to take a survey on The Front that focused on DirecTV dropping TWC.  It asked some pretty obvious questions, including who I thought was more to blame, reasons why, and so on.

How did you get to take this survey? Is there a link?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2014, 12:53:48 AM »

Houston got snow? I thought they only got ice. There is an unfortunate bias for the Northeast region when it comes to wall to wall coverage. (I do mean 24+ hours straight) There's only a bias towards the Southeast if Atlanta is being affected. Although, I've noticed in the past couple of years, that's not always the case either...

EDIT: To be fair, I do understand the bias, that is where the largest population of people live in our country, so if any threatening weather is in that region it makes sense to be all in on it. If any region of the country feels like outsiders it's the West.

The Northeast bias is one of the main reasons why I have stopped watching TWC, and while it has always been an issue, it has gotten worse ever since NBC acquired TWC (for obvious reasons).  Yes, I understand that the NE is where most of the nation's population is, but often times with an ongoing storm in the central or southern Plains, for example, TWC will devote more coverage to how the storm will be affecting the Northeast in the coming days than what's actually going on with the storm at the present time (this happened with some of the winter storms last year).  And even take two equally dangerous weather phenomena (i.e flooding in the Northeast and a heat wave in the south). Which is likely to get more coverage?  I think you guessed it.

The Atlanta bias seems to be getting worse too.  It's almost as if Atlanta is the only city in the southeastern US.  Not hard to figure out where TWC's headquarters is, I bet.  Probably all the people who actually think TWC is a "life saving resource" are from Atlanta.  In that case, it probably would be as useful as the local news stations.

Honestly, if TWC changed their name to the "Eastern US Weather Channel," I wouldn't have a problem.  Seems that more accurately reflects what they cover anyway.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:55:21 AM by WeatherWitness »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #235 on: January 25, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
For anyone that has DTV, how is WN doing? Asking because in the last 24 hours, my local WN in Milwaukee froze up(and it wasn't the first time!) and this morning, the audio has static in it. It sounds awful! What good is WN if it doesn't work well??? I HOPE WN does not have these problems on DTV!!!!!

Offline Stormsentinel

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
For anyone that has DTV, how is WN doing? Asking because in the last 24 hours, my local WN in Milwaukee froze up(and it wasn't the first time!) and this morning, the audio has static in it. It sounds awful! What good is WN if it doesn't work well??? I HOPE WN does not have these problems on DTV!!!!!

It doesn't. This sounds like a station signal issue in Milwaukee but It just runs smooth on DTV.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »

It doesn't. This sounds like a station signal issue in Milwaukee but It just runs smooth on DTV.

Thanks! That's good to know since WN is the only one on DTV.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »

I signed up for The Front a while ago, and they send emails whenever there's a new survey to take.
https://www.thefrontpanel.com/PORTAL/default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fPORTAL%2fmembers%2fdefault.aspx

Offline skian

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »

I signed up for The Front a while ago, and they send emails whenever there's a new survey to take.
https://www.thefrontpanel.com/PORTAL/default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fPORTAL%2fmembers%2fdefault.aspx

Thank you. Looks like they shut down the study.