April 27, 2024, 12:55:42 PM

Author Topic: DirecTV Dropping TWC  (Read 79523 times)

Offline HulkieD

• NOAAs a guy who NOAAs a guy
    • View Profile
    • A Better Forecast
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27098
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: DirecTV Dropping TWC
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2014, 12:36:22 AM »
So I posted that.  I literally just saw that on my way to work and scrambled to get it up on my site because it was blatant misinformation, pure and simple.  I actually did the math and I counted 49% reality/non-weather programming considering 7 days and 24 hours.  If you only count 6am-11pm Monday-Friday, the number's still very high - 35%.  And 100% of prime time programming is reality/non-weather.

The way this network has treated its viewers during this situation is cynical, manipulative, and despicable.  You cannot suddenly go 24/7 live weather just to prove to DirecTV you're worth it.  Nor can you say you're devoted to weather coverage when you were running promos for nothing but the reality shows a week prior.

This situation has infuriated me so much, I've been actively tweeting like never before and trying to get something out to counter their misinformation.  Luckily the domain droptheweatherchannel.com was available.  Viewers aren't as stupid as Weather Channel thinks.

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2014, 12:44:11 AM »
The professionalism of the OCM's has really went through the basement floor. In my opinion, a major television network like TWC should make sure their broadcasters maintain a large degree of professionalism, and don't crack unnecessary jokes and stupid comments. 10+ years ago, the TWC mets were more serious, and gave you the forecast and the facts, without all the side bullcrap. TWC is not a sitcom, it's an informational network.
Not only that, they actually EXPLAINED the weather instead of seeing blobs of color move across a blinding white map.

Each "upgrade" of graphics has led to more and more and more "dumbing down".  I have become more and more disappointed with each set of icons and maps - and I am a programmer as a profession. 
Some OCMs, with Chris Warren being the biggest example, BABBLE about pictures and things they see.  Others just read what is on the screen and provide NO background to what they are presenting.

The November upgrade is like the Obamacare of weather information - we are forced to like it because we pay the cable bill.  They went to the lowest common denominator by providing the city weather, three radars, 36 hour forecast, day planner, and seven day.....and a silly recap and opening JOKE!  Who in the world decided on that?!

The local and regional observations?  Gone!  All I see in my area is the main city, and two local towns with small populations!  It's downright PAINFUL to watch these days.

I can't say I'd blame DirectTV.  It could be an opportunity for Dave Schwartz's to show them how the old TWC days went.  NBC's networks are taking a hit because they have all lost credibility.

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2014, 01:33:37 AM »
To address the mention of who is responsible for long term programming and if they should be fired...

David Clark, President of The Weather Channel. Per his official biography on weather.com

At Fuse he was responsible for the network's direction and growth strategy and oversaw all of the network's day-to-day business operations including programming, production, marketing and ad sales. While at Fuse, he built a news division and production infrastructure, green-lit seven original series into production for the 12/13 season and initiated Fuse’s move into long-form programming.

It wouldn't be a stretch to assume he was brought here for this reason.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
Each "upgrade" of graphics has led to more and more and more "dumbing down".  I have become more and more disappointed with each set of icons and maps - and I am a programmer as a profession. 
Some OCMs, with Chris Warren being the biggest example, BABBLE about pictures and things they see.  Others just read what is on the screen and provide NO background to what they are presenting.

This throws a monkey wrench in the talent argument TWC was using to justify staying on DTV.  They (all the way up to Cantore) think they're the only ones who can do the job.

Quote from: Jim Cantore
The Weather Channel's slight rate increase is 100% earmarked for increasing the exact local severe coverage that will make The Weather Channel's already-essential coverage even more precise and imperative for our viewers.

Quote from: Jim Cantore
I think it’s a dangerous gamble to put lives at risk for a penny. I think you’ll agree. Nobody can do weather like we do. Nobody.

I bet the rate increase goes into silly new graphics or more longform.

Of course, I don't suppose they're going to admit that another network could compete; this is business, after all. 

As far as "dumbing down" goes, I feel that it reflects what is going on today in general.  To use another network as an example, ABC's GMA has pretty much morphed into TMZ Lite.  They don't seem to cover anything seriously anymore.  I remind you that TWC pulled Sam Champion from there, and to find out he's not even a real meterologist even though he's gotten so much fame just about floored me.

To address the mention of who is responsible for long term programming and if they should be fired...

David Clark, President of The Weather Channel. Per his official biography on weather.com

It wouldn't be a stretch to assume he was brought here for this reason.

If Clark is the channel's president, then there's no one who could fire him, is there?  What a drag.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:57:11 AM by Metarvo »

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
I've been reading the thread last night and this morning...and I agree with 95 percent of yall. I'm 36, and I remember TWC from the mid 80s. They were the one of the main reasons why I became a weather junkie.

It is quite sad to see how far this network has fallen over the last decade - from a network that folks joked about, even though the employees were proud of what they were doing (and it showed) to a network that frankly I don't even recognize anymore. The stuff they're doing now (airhead personalities, the longform programming, Top Five Videos, et al) is mind-boggling. Comcast/NBC Universal and Bain Capital has ruined a once proud network...and I let TWC know on their Facebook page on SEVERAL occasions that they aren't who they say they are.

One of my favorite weather shows podcasts - WeatherBrains - dedicated a lot of airtime on its show to the beef between DirecTV and TWC (http://weatherbrains.com/weatherbrains/ - Look for WeatherBrains 416: This Is Only The Second One). Even Accuweather made an announcement about its upcoming channel. I'm surprised it took this long for TWC to get some competition, but I guess it's better late than never. Competition is good, IMHO.

I applaud DirecTV's move to ditch the channel and welcome WeatherNation with open arms. Yes, a good chunk of their programming is taped, but every network on the air today has humble beginnings, so I expect WN to only get better and they will.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
The TitanTV Guide and my Comcast TV Guide now shows WCL airing from 11AM-2PM PT/2PM-5PM ET for Today, Tomorrow and Friday only.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:26:28 PM by Adrian »

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
The TitanTV Guide and my Comcast TV Guide now shows WCL airing from 11AM-2PM ET for Today, Tomorrow and Friday only.
Does that mean something is changeing next week ?

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2014, 01:10:24 PM »
The TitanTV Guide and my Comcast TV Guide now shows WCL airing from 11AM-2PM PT/2PM-5PM ET for Today, Tomorrow and Friday only.
They need to add a primetime block as well. Not 7, 10, and 1 but 8pm - 2am. People still want weather at those times.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2014, 03:25:21 PM »
Is TWC giving talking points for their OCMs to bash WeatherNation with on social media?
That would explain Kait Parker making the 3 hour loop comment. In general TWC OCMs should not be bashing other channels. Let the management do that and don't get involved.

A channel that is on tape 8pm-4am can't mock WN for airing taped loops. At least WN is doing weather forecasts in that 3 hour loop.

TWC is live at 3pm so at the very least longform is gone 3pm-5pm weekdays.
I'm interested if on the coming weekend they are live after 2pm.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:26:56 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
I think it's also worth mentioning that even if you have DirecTV, you can still access weather.com. Which I would argue is more accessible than a satellite channel. But then again, weather.com has also become a train wreck over the last few years. I just counted the weather and non-weather stories on the home page. There were 84 stories total with 24 or 29% of them having to do with weather, and 60 or 71% having to do with something other than the weather. Wow! :o
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
If Clark is the channel's president, then there's no one who could fire him, is there?  What a drag.  :rolleyes:

david kenny?

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:31 PM »
Andre Bernier posted this in a comment on weathernation's website under a post by their president.

As a member of the launch team of The Weather Channel from 1982 – 1985, I am happy to see a new network that is dedicated to the same constant 24/7 weather coverage that once made TWC a solid source for national and local weather. So many of the original (and now former) meteorologists on staff at TWC with whom I am still in touch to this day, share the same heartache when we see the path on which TWC traveled in the last decade. WNTV has a golden opportunity to recapture the wonder of meteorology that was abandoned by the agenda-driven programming that drove viewers away in disgust. Like many of the thoughtful responses above, I echo the cheer and encouragement to stay the course: weather, pure and simple, leaving sensationalism, cheap stunts (naming winter storms), and agenda-driven content out of the mix.

May God grant you all great blessing and increase in 2014.

Blessings,
André Bernier

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:14 AM »
Hopefully we still have DTV customers on here,  I would be interested in How WN is different compared to their website and roku streams. Are there commercials?  Does the Alert LDL stay on all the time if needed? Could someone take video?  Thanks!

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »
Hopefully we still have DTV customers on here,  I would be interested in How WN is different compared to their website and roku streams. Are there commercials?  Does the Alert LDL stay on all the time if needed? Could someone take video?  Thanks!
I heard someone calling for me? :bleh:

Yes, WeatherNation does show commercials on DirecTV, but it's definitely more content than commercials, and the LDL does stay on during these commercials if there's an alert, and the commercials squeeze back. I have yet to see a time though where the LDL on WN is off during commercials on DirecTV. Haven't watched the national stream in a while though, but it may be different there than on DirecTV. I have a Sony TV with internet capability, and WN comes on that. From what I have seen, the clock is in sync on the stream to what it is on DirecTV, but the segments and the LDL cities aren't.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline ndinminot

• TWC Music Expert (1986 thru 2009)
  • TWC fan from 1991 to 2008
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
I stand with DirecTV in their decision too. TWC like 90% plus of all other modern TV has became a toxic cesspool of cultural degeneration. I love WeatherNation I watch it on my computer wish i had DirecTV now that they are carrying it. The dinosaur media need to quietly fade away and never comeback, as we are moving more toward a user driven, personalized content media (which I support)
No Place On Earth Has Better Weather