April 28, 2024, 08:18:01 AM

Author Topic: DirecTV Dropping TWC  (Read 79551 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: DirecTV Dropping TWC
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
Reading Facebook posts on their wall and this is the latest message I have seen from them:

Thank you so much for your support. We are no longer in talks with DirectTV; they've removed us permanently. You can visit http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com/ for a list of alternate providers that do carry our channel.

Why is DISH quiet about this? Didn't they drop TWC for a day or two back in 2010 too..

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
interesting this guy on reddit (claiming to be a meteorologist at twc) posted this on reddit then deleted his account
Meteorologist at the Weather Channel here, so obviously this is a throwaway. I can tell you this. We hate everything that is going on too. The last two days have basically been treated like the Jerry Lewis tele-a-thon. However on the upside it is nice to actually work on making weather content ALL DAY. We need to get back to it full time...or at least just more than we do now.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
Reading Facebook posts on their wall and this is the latest message I have seen from them:

Thank you so much for your support. We are no longer in talks with DirectTV; they've removed us permanently. You can visit http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com/ for a list of alternate providers that do carry our channel.

Why is DISH quiet about this? Didn't they drop TWC for a day or two back in 2010 too..

:rofl2: :worship: TWC just got kicked in the nuts for this. Kudos to DirecTV, related to long form or not, one less provider with the weathertainment now.

Also just found out that the reality show clutter is a core reason. directvpromise.com
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:34:15 PM by weatherfan_2013 »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2014, 06:34:03 PM »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
This is picture was from another forum but I would like to show you this since it's relevant.:
http://hulkied.com/tvnt/WeatherChannelCrap.png

TWC is lying in that picture as they deny 40% of programming is Long-Form.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »
This is picture was from another forum but I would like to show you this since it's relevant.:
http://hulkied.com/tvnt/WeatherChannelCrap.png

TWC is lying in that picture as they deny 40% of programming is Long-Form.

That's a lie, and the fact that they say they include current local forecast information 24 hours a day.  FALSE.  Guess what still hasn't been fixed in two months?  The fact that non-cable viewers see no weather information during long-form.  None.  That's not 24 hours a day!  I don't care about the limitations they have with the new design - if they want to hold to their truth, then just make the LDL non-transparent.  Easy.  End of story.

I understand companies sometimes have to lie to oversell themselves, but TWC's flat-out lies are too obvious.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
TWC just played a clip from their CEO on the AM show saying TWC is live 4am to 8pm every day. That's not true.
Unless he was indirectly announcing a new schedule,
TWC is on tape 2pm to 8pm on weekends and 2pm to 5pm weekdays and live programming starts at 4:30am on weekends.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:13:34 PM by IceManNYR »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »
The reality is that I'm not surprised to see that this whole thing occurred.  If you really want weather 24/7, the internet is the best choice as you can see everything you want when you want it.  The days of TWC being a good monopoly for weather on TV are approaching the end.  While I realize lots of people like the concept of a 24-hour weather channel, I think those days are going to become history soon as times are changing.

Local media, internet and mobile sources, the National Weather Service, and a NOAA weather radio with a battery backup are far more reliable options when you need weather information and warnings.  No other 24-hour weather network can really compete here when you want local weather all the time that truly affects you!

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
Weather Caught on Camera is back  :( looks like TWC doesn't really care anymore...

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
Weather Caught on Camera is back  :( looks like TWC doesn't really care anymore...

Yeah, especially with the couple of things I have seen posted on here that TWC has completely ended negotiations with DirecTV.  weather.com is still decked out in DirecTV ads, but I guess that will be disappearing soon.  It's too bad TWC and DirecTV couldn't work out a negotiation that would benefit the rest of us (i.e. get rid of a few hours of long-form per day) but that's fine.  As Patrick has said, TWC is not the most reliable source when it comes to getting weather quickly and easily and probably never will be.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2014, 08:56:14 PM »
Apparently a new OCM joined the network yesterday, and I'm already not liking her:
https://www.facebook.com/Meteorologist.Kait.Parker/posts/10101988944860510?comment_id=17792508&reply_comment_id=17792655&total_comments=8
Wow, what a snob! Very unprofessional and not a very good way to change minds. :rolleyes:
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
I don't get it. What did she say that was so unprofessional? In fact, what did she say that was any different from what a lot of OCMs (including Jim Cantore) has already said since this weekend? :dunno:

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I guess you're talking about her response to someone else and not the actual post itself.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:19:44 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
Incase anyone wants to watch an interview with the founder of TWC, John Coleman who describes the premise the channel was created, being laughed at by investors, and how he sees the channel has drifted away from its original mission statement, in whole to whats happening today with it.

John Coleman at TWC 30th anniversary - cameo

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
I don't get it. What did she say that was so unprofessional? In fact, what did she say that was any different from what a lot of OCMs (including Jim Cantore) has already said since this weekend? :dunno:

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I guess you're talking about her response to someone else and not the actual post itself.
It was her response to Kevin Blackfox's comment.

Looking at TWC's FB page, their page is about 50/50 oppose/support DTV's move. Most viewers seem to be content with DTV's move though saying TWC pulled the plug on them refusing to bite into DTV's offer for a rate decrease.

Offline Steve-O

• Diggin' storms since 1982
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1823
  • SD Channel #: 23
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24778
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2014, 11:33:07 PM »
I wonder how annoyed the mets got having to keep on announcing the plan for DIRECTV to drop them?