May 02, 2024, 03:57:00 PM

Author Topic: DirecTV Dropping TWC  (Read 79697 times)

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: DirecTV Dropping TWC
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »
This had to be pre planned for when they figured out a deal was not close with DTV.

You are so right about TWC not airing any promos about their reality shows and replacing them with promos
about why TWC is important. That had to be part of the plan.

This is what makes me laugh, they did not care when people complained about the having no live shows after 2pm on weekends and now they are only doing it as a publicity stunt.
It's an insult to the people who watch TWC for the live weather shows.

Maybe as part of the deal with DTV they agree that TWC restores some the live hours they took away.
At least bring back the 4pm and 7pm weekend hours.

Offline Stormsentinel

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »
I find it kinda funny that TWC has been showing live programming all weekend. If they did this more often, I would be a regular viewer!

Agreed.  All of this extra live coverage is reminding me of years gone by, and I like it.

Too bad it is only for a short time and only because they are about to lose 1/3 of their audience If they don't get a deal done.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
It seems like they're playing games with the viewers and the providers.  That's a strategy that can't hold up long-term.  Did this start just because DTV picked up WN?

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »
It's a game.  I predict that regardless of the outcome, TWC reverts back to longform central after the dispute ends.  If DTV keeps TWC, then TWC will see no need to appease the carrier and it will resume the longform.  If DTV drops TWC, then TWC will have nothing to gain from smoke and mirrors; therefore, it will resume the longform.

As far as losing its audience goes, I thought TWC was making a start on that already.  Sure, being the only national weather source available for so long would have given the channel an advantage by default.  However, I'm sure some viewers, whether on DTV or not, have tuned out the channel already.

Now, I do think this may be a wakeup call of sorts if TWC listens.  Although I don't see longform going away, especially on weekends, I wonder if some of the egregiously non-weather-related programming (*cough*Prospectors*cough*) might get the boot in favor of more weather-related shows.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »
It's a game.  I predict that regardless of the outcome, TWC reverts back to longform central after the dispute ends.  If DTV keeps TWC, then TWC will see no need to appease the carrier and it will resume the longform.  If DTV drops TWC, then TWC will have nothing to gain from smoke and mirrors; therefore, it will resume the longform.

As far as losing its audience goes, I thought TWC was making a start on that already.  Sure, being the only national weather source available for so long would have given the channel an advantage by default.  However, I'm sure some viewers, whether on DTV or not, have tuned out the channel already.

Now, I do think this may be a wakeup call of sorts if TWC listens.  Although I don't see longform going away, especially on weekends, I wonder if some of the egregiously non-weather-related programming (*cough*Prospectors*cough*) might get the boot in favor of more weather-related shows.
Or maybe increase live weather coverage to what it was like in 2010 or 2011? And hopefully boot off those stupid reality shows and show weather shows like what it was in 2007 and 2008 like you said?

Offline Stormsentinel

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »

Or maybe increase live weather coverage to what it was like in 2010 or 2011? And hopefully boot off those stupid reality shows and show weather shows like what it was in 2007 and 2008 like you said?

If DirecTV follows throughs I strongly expect That some weather programming would return mainly evenings and overnight (Ex. The 10pm and 1am returning and weekends even adding hours.)

The reason TWC is doing this is because DirecTV pretty much called them out for what we have been saying about TWC for a while now... Except, They have 33 million homes they go into and have picked up a 24 hour weather network as well to say "Hey, You know when you used to be about the weather? We would like that back please, or we will walk with our 33 million customers and we'll stay away.... ask G4 about that one, Comcast.*" So DirecTV have some stroke here that TWC knows for a fact is huge. So If DirecTV does this expect some changes on TWC.

*DirecTV pulled G4 in 2010, and it has not returned since.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:58:51 PM by Stormsentinel »

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
Despite the lack of widespread severe weather today, TWC has not aired any longform programming, from what I have seen. They are definitely scared that DTV could drop them. Hopefully this instills in the minds of the management of TWC/NBC/Comcast that live weather is the best way to go; both for the viewers and for TWC's ratings.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if TWC adds more live programming to their schedule should the DirecTV dispute be resolved. Somehow I doubt this will happen, as TWC will probably forget about this and then soon go back to the current schedule that includes the so-called "hit" reality crap shows which absolutely have nothing to do with weather.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:33:12 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline HulkieD

• NOAAs a guy who NOAAs a guy
    • View Profile
    • A Better Forecast
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27098
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2014, 11:06:06 PM »
I posted this (in two parts) on another forum, but I'm posting it here as well, because this whole thing is just outrageous.

I've said that this network's problem is that they seem split between being Weather Channel, a network that airs live weather coverage, and WEATHER™, an entertainment network that happens to feature shows that are tangentially about weather and nature.  They need to be one or the other, because Weather Channel can't be taking long stretches off from live coverage, and WEATHER™'s programming needs to be dependably scheduled.

But, with this whole DirecTV scare, they've made their choice, whether they know it or not.

They've been in live coverage continuously since at least yesterday morning.  They show no signs of stopping.  As a number of you have noted, all advertising and promotions for long-form/reality programming have ceased.  In the usual promotional spots which air prior to Local on the 8s, they've either been running generic network IDs, the Cantore promo directing viewers to keeptheweatherchannel.com, and those image spots that say "THE WEATHER CHANNEL MATTERS".  The implication is that, because the weather has gotten more extreme, the service that they provide is necessary, NOW MORE THAN EVER.

Nevermind that said weather forecasting resource ends at 2pm on weekends.  Nevermind that, up until DirecTV threatened to drop the channel, they were hyping shows like "Highway Thru Hell" to death.  Nevermind that the amount of live weather coverage has been dropping steadily for years now.  No, they describe themselves as a service providing crucial public safety and severe weather preparedness programming.

Whether intentionally or unintentionally, The Weather Channel has ACKNOWLEDGED that the amount of long-form is too high.  They've basically validated the complaints of DirecTV, its customers, and everyone here.  If they're a weather service that matters, they've been doing a spectacularly poor job.

I'm not against long-form and reality programming.  But if they are actively saying that The Weather Channel is a forecasting news service, they have to deliver on that promise.  They can't simply go back to airing hours and hours of "Freaks of Nature" after this is all over.  They have to commit to increased weather coverage.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 01:54:32 AM »
TWC keeps using the phrase "The Weather Channel will no longer be available on Direct TV after January 13th" as if it's 100% a fact that DTV is dropping the channel.
If that's the case why would anyone bother calling DTV to complain since the channel is being dropped?
That wording makes it seem like TWC has stopped negotiating with Direct TV.

As of the 3am ET WCL they are now showing old reports of storm coverage to almost brag that hey! we were there covering the storms! Very tacky.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:46:58 AM by IceManNYR »

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2014, 02:01:39 AM »
I posted this (in two parts) on another forum, but I'm posting it here as well, because this whole thing is just outrageous.

That is a very good summary of the situation.  Because DTV might drop them they are pretending to be a 24/7 Weather Channel.

They can't go from being live from 4:30am Saturday to at least 12am Tuesday then go back to having no live programming 2pm-4am on weekends because it proves this was just a planed stunt.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »
Now TWC is turning this into an infomercial about why TWC is so important. They are playing clips from viewers talking about TWC.
Also various off camera meteorologists have been doing interview segments with the OCMs talking about TWC.

It's so funny how a channel that cut back live hours with a relaunch is now crowing about how vital and important they are.
Again, if what TWC does is so important why are reality shows on 8pm to 4am weekdays and 2pm to 4:30 am weekends.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this...so I'll put it here.

This makes me downright mad and honestly made me lose any respect I had for TWC.

Offline HurricaneJerry

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 26
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24751
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
I just saw that on facebook. Hope WN kick their  :censored: now. lol

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this...so I'll put it here.

This makes me downright mad and honestly made me lose any respect I had for TWC.

That is the least classy response I have ever seen from a network. But hey, it takes one to know one, in regards to trashing others. Soo....