April 26, 2024, 05:56:48 AM

Author Topic: About width...  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
About width...
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
I know the pages are wider than they used to be...but I'm still not liking the width. I was wondering with the new design, can we create a page that has 100% width and not a set amount of pixels?

Right now, it looks like the pages are 708 pixels wide...which gives a 46 pixel border to users with 800x600 resolution. However, almost no one uses 800x600 anymore. In January 2006, the number was 20% of users using 800x600. In January 2007, the number shrank to 14%. One year later, in 2008, it went down to 8% and is now around 3% to 4%.

What I'm saying here is that resolutions are continually rising, and to keep up we should do a 100% width...so it can work with someone who uses 400x300 resolution (ouch!) or 1920x1080. IMHO, it'd be the best for the new design.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: About width...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:45:17 PM »
The width of the design depends on the width of the menu system. Right now, Gary had asked that I make it as interoperable with as many users and clients as possible, I chose 708px. It uses fixed widths, not based on percentages. Using percentages would break many of the key parts that make the site run the way it does. I honestly have no plans to change the width any time soon as I am happy with the design the way it is :)

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
The width of the design depends on the width of the menu system. Right now, Gary had asked that I make it as interoperable with as many users and clients as possible, I chose 708px. It uses fixed widths, not based on percentages. Using percentages would break many of the key parts that make the site run the way it does. I honestly have no plans to change the width any time soon as I am happy with the design the way it is :)

It's way too thin for me. I'll just use greasemonkey.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:16:11 AM »

It's way too thin for me. I'll just use greasemonkey.

Your just one of many users.