April 27, 2024, 11:55:19 AM

Author Topic: Wake Up With Al  (Read 201662 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Wake Up With Al
« Reply #630 on: August 12, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
i wont be surprised if WUWA's ratings are towards the bottom of the barrel.
Incorrect. There are a lot of people (especially older ones) who wake up with Al. See their facebook page.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #631 on: August 12, 2010, 01:02:53 PM »
There are lots of viewers that love Al on the Today show and NBC wanted to experiment with him on TWC to see if ratings would increase and they have so its unlikely that over 50% of TWC viewers hate Al :yes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #632 on: August 12, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »
I think some of you need to realize that how you present yourself on TV and your personality matters way more than how much of a weather expert you are when it comes to broadcasting.  That's why some people who never have meteorology degrees end up doing really well presenting the weather on TV, because they have camera and people skills.  Al is a perfect example.  We as TWC fans may not be wild about it, but when you look from a business or casual viewer's perspective, this show is actually quite successful so far.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 12, 2010, 04:24:37 PM »
I think some of you need to realize that how you present yourself on TV and your personality matters way more than how much of a weather expert you are when it comes to broadcasting.  That's why some people who never have meteorology degrees end up doing really well presenting the weather on TV, because they have camera and people skills.  Al is a perfect example.  We as TWC fans may not be wild about it, but when you look from a business or casual viewer's perspective, this show is actually quite successful so far.
:clap:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2010, 02:08:18 AM »
i wont be surprised if WUWA's ratings are towards the bottom of the barrel.
Certainly not. Morning shows have the highest ratings on TWC. Al is a huge name in the industry.
Lets be honest about it as well.... Al presents more of a "diverse" makeup in the media category. You are correct his name is worth more than anything else. Also how much actual forecasting do OCMs even do? Local weather is a bit different but OCMs I would say aren't making tough decisions when it comes to drawing the maps and writing scripts.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2010, 04:47:07 AM »
Lets be honest about it as well.... Al presents more of a "diverse" makeup in the media category. You are correct his name is worth more than anything else. Also how much actual forecasting do OCMs even do? Local weather is a bit different but OCMs I would say aren't making tough decisions when it comes to drawing the maps and writing scripts.
Many things these days with forecasting are either automated or done by people who work in the background.  All the graphics and forecast data you see on the air is almost never looked at by an OCM until he or she rehearses the segment.  All the OCM worries about is how to best present the information to the viewers so that it's understandable.  Their job is more about presentation rather than forecasting.

bergone

« Reply #636 on: August 22, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
Any bets on when the show will be canceled? I hope soon.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #637 on: August 22, 2010, 07:57:50 PM »
Any bets on when the show will be canceled? I hope soon.

Again, the ratings people were mentioning. Don't expect the show to cancel soon.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #638 on: September 06, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
It appears that vocal music isn't being played on WUWA anymore. I like that change a lot, as it gives us an extra hour of the morning playlist. Even though I don't particulary love the morning playlist, it's so much better than "Billie Jean" in the morning.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #639 on: September 06, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
It appears that vocal music isn't being played on WUWA anymore. I like that change a lot, as it gives us an extra hour of the morning playlist. Even though I don't particulary love the morning playlist, it's so much better than "Billie Jean" in the morning.

Wait... then why was I hearing Sugar Ray on the LOT8s that other morning?  :blink:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #640 on: September 06, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »

Wait... then why was I hearing Sugar Ray on the LOT8s that other morning?  :blink:
Usually during red mode (i think but not sure) primetime slot music is looped on WUWA
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #641 on: September 06, 2010, 04:58:35 PM »
Usually during red mode (i think but not sure) primetime slot music is looped on WUWA
from what i've heard recently it's been a mix of primetime and morning music :yes:

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #642 on: September 06, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
Oh, so the music change isn't permanent? I don't know how y'all find out this stuff. I don't mind the vocal music that much, but I don't see why they play it; it's sort of random.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #643 on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »
Oh, so the music change isn't permanent? I don't know how y'all find out this stuff. I don't mind the vocal music that much, but I don't see why they play it; it's sort of random.
Tomorrow will tell if the vocal music is totally gone that's the best i can tell you

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 07, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
Was there vocal music today?