April 28, 2024, 07:21:57 AM

Author Topic: TWC Revamp: Strong Chance Of Less Weather Coverage  (Read 20755 times)

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
TWC Revamp: Strong Chance Of Less Weather Coverage
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »
A friend of mine (@weathrlver) shared this article with me on facebook about TWC's future revamp of it's weather coverage. In a video interview with Sharon Scott, one of the executives from NBCU said that they have plans to reduce TWC's live weather programming for several reasons. This won't happen until the next year or perhaps sooner.  Link to the article and video interview here.

Well... I've seen the worst of this coming. *sigh*

hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: TWC Revamp: Strong Chance Of Less Weather Coverage
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »
TWC has been changing for the worst so it doesn't surprise me that NBCU would be making a "money making" decision like this for the future of the network

as i would say :thumbsup: for the avg viewer and  :thumbdown: for the long time viewer.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!   :thumbdown: :cry: :cry3:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
:facepalm:

My opinion: "For live weather, you can use this." Not everyone has "this"  :rolleyes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »
So they didn't learn their lesson with Flick and a Forecast?

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:59:19 AM »
isn't NBC fixing to be sold?? aren't they in bankruptcy anyway? wtf, i don't know who they think they are coming around and making dramatic changes, but this certainly isn't going to go well for the viewers...perhaps this is why the video wall is no longer being used.

someone at NBC needs a nice slap across the face, and shown the door.  :club:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
Haven't local news stations across the board been providing more live weather coverage over the decades due to demand?  Yes, it's way easier to find your weather online, but to explain what's happening and why along with relaying critical information requires a live segment.  News stations pull in tons of ratings when there's virtually non-stop live weather coverage during an event.  As Tyler hinted above, TWC better not let themselves get caught again in some non-live show while a serious weather event is looming or occurring.  Even average viewers who love long-form will notice, especially if they're the ones being threatened.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 01:59:33 AM »
Just like people got over the MTV thing, people will get over the TWC thing as well. Trust me. You'll all eventually get over it and move on to more important "in real life" problems.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:47:08 AM »
Just like people got over the MTV thing, people will get over the TWC thing as well. Trust me. You'll all eventually get over it and move on to more important "in real life" problems.
In a way what she said makes sense. People can instantly check the weather on all of their devices and who really cares about the national forecast anyway? Really all that the general population cares about is their local weather for the next day or so which can be satisfied by a STAR.

Having said that I think they are definitely going in the wrong direction if this does turn out to be what there plan is. Weather programming is mildly interesting but I really don't see how in the long run it will save the channel. NBC is treating TWC like it would with any of its other assets. It sees that viewer ship probably has declined over the past 10 years. They automatically think that this is a problem and throw a hissy fit trying to stop it and ultimately fail. TV is becoming a smaller part of the American lifestyle and the networks are going to have to get used to it. Trying to find other content to make people interested in the channel again is not going to work.

We can compare how NBC is treating The Weather Channel to its other stations. SYFY has moved away from many of the core shows that brought true scifi fans to the network and has been pumped full of sex and drama to appeal to wider audiences.  MSNBC has moved away from true news reporting and become more opinion based than anything else. The reasoning? People can get the basic news online but they have to watch TV for actual commentary and opinion. NBCU is taking drastic changes that will in the end hurt the branding of their stations. TWC nor any other NBCU station will NEVER be sold or change hands. NBCU will remain. Hopefully they will see the error in their ways at some point.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:57:29 AM by Martin »

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »
While reading this thread, I was wondering if I was going to see your trademark "dad" answer. :P

Yes, people who were upset over MTV's choice to dump music videos got over it. Only they got over it by watching another channel. :pinch:

I love her razor-thin arguments for long-form (or as I like to call it, long-nap) programming. Yes, outdoor photography has a little to do with weather. But then again, so does buying patio furniture at Home Depot and scratching yourself in the morning. When do those Emmy-worthy programs debut? :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:08:38 AM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
Just as long as there's still music, and Local on the 8s, that's fine with me.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
Just as long as there's still music, and Local on the 8s, that's fine with me.

That's what Weatherscan is for.  Does Weatherscan, which offers constant local weather, replace The Weather Channel?  Not even close.  The two compliment each other, not compete with or replace each other.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
I feel like punching that executive in the face.

Well, there's nothing we can do now. Yeah, complain all you want, but it's not gonna stop them. TWC is reducing live coverage because we have the iPad app (no wonder that's the most popular app ever.  :rolleyes: ) and too many people are getting their weather by their local newscasts or mobile apps. I'm more worried about the people who don't even have access to mobile apps or internet just to get their weather. If they want to make that move, let them do that. Like Jesse said, we'll get used to this like we all did before.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »
Like Jesse said, we'll get used to this like we all did before.
Yes, some will, but many won't. Many will just give up on TWC and find another source for weather information (I did years ago). What NBC doesn't seem to realize (or care) is that there are still many people out there that need on up-to-the-minute weather information. And in it's heyday, the place for that was definitely TWC. The appeal was that you didn't have to wait for the 6:00 or 10:00 news. You could get your weather forecast every few minutes. You could get live coverage of an event. You didn't have to wait or settle for for a bunch of stupid boxes, with information typed in a font size that requires binoculars to read, covering up half the damn screen. But now, as time goes by, NBC is moving farther and farther away from what made TWC, well, TWC. Don't get me wrong, if they WANT to become a G4-like network, that's fine. But they're nuts if they think most or all of their loyal "weather" fan base will stick around. :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:27:24 PM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »
Like Jesse said, we'll get used to this like we all did before.
Don't get me wrong, if they WANT to become a G4-like network, that's fine. But they're nuts if they think most or all of their loyal "weather" fan base will stick around. :thumbdown:
What's G4?
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper