April 28, 2024, 10:04:30 AM

Author Topic: TWC going all long-form Thanksgiving night  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
TWC going all long-form Thanksgiving night
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »
A lot of you might remember last year's plans to show nothing but long-form on Christmas Day; well, as it turns out, TWC will be implementing half of that plan this Thanksgiving. According to the Zap2It guide, TWC will be airing nothing but Tornado Road from 7PM ET to 4 AM ET on Thanksgiving night.

To go along with this, the 7PM WC on Black Friday will be replaced by a repeat of Future Earth, followed by the March of the Penguins movie.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
Re: TWC going all long-form Thanksgiving night
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:32:43 PM »

I will go both ways on this one... Although I want weather, it's nice twc is letting the OCMs be with their families this Thanksgiving...

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:41:38 PM »
I have to agree as well. First time I'm hearing that TWC is going all long form on Thanksgiving.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
Yes its nice OCMs are getting Thanksgiving but this IS a network tv station. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the biggest travel times in the year. I suppose if some weather event comes up they will do some coverage. Quite frankly id rather see a satellite forecast loop with xmas tunes all day xmas rather than long form. This just seems unprofessional to me.  :hmm:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 12:05:28 AM »
While I agree that it's a nice gesture by TWC to let the OCM's get a break for Thanksgiving, the weather operates 24/7 just like a hospital.  Usually, the most experienced workers would receive this break, but the younger staff would work during the holiday time if something major were to arise.  When I eventually get hired to be a meteorologist someday, I'll be expected to work holidays no matter what.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:48 AM »
While I agree that it's a nice gesture by TWC to let the OCM's get a break for Thanksgiving, the weather operates 24/7 just like a hospital.  Usually, the most experienced workers would receive this break, but the younger staff would work during the holiday time if something major were to arise.  When I eventually get hired to be a meteorologist someday, I'll be expected to work holidays no matter what.
Exactly. Its something you expect when you take the job

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 07:02:39 AM »
Well put :yes:

I am sure that the OCM's who work on holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving plan around their job, and do get to spend time with their families.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
Yes its nice OCMs are getting Thanksgiving but this IS a network tv station. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the biggest travel times in the year. I suppose if some weather event comes up they will do some coverage. Quite frankly id rather see a satellite forecast loop with xmas tunes all day xmas rather than long form. This just seems unprofessional to me.  :hmm:

I'm pretty sure not many people (if anyone) will be traveling on Thanksgiving night, Martin. ;) So really, coverage isn't necessary. :no:

However, what I think TWC could do is loop several weather maps, graphics, etc. with background music instead of having that darn long-form. This way, people would still get their weather AND OCMs wouldn't work on the holiday. :yes:

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »
What the heck is Tornado Road? I don't mind them not showing weather information (it's not like they show a lot of that these days), but showing repeats of stuff? A lot of people watch TV on Thanksgiving night. You think they'll watch TWC if they're showing repeats? I don't think so.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »
Tornado Road is a show produced by Thom Beers (Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men, etc.) to compete with Discovery's hit series Storm Chasers.  The Weather Channel debuted it the same night as the season premiere of Storm Chasers but didn't keep it at a consistent timeslot.  It's new to programming this year but who knows if they will actually finish out the series or not.  They aired all new episodes for the entire week after the premiere and then shoved it to the back burner.  It's an ok show but I prefer Storm Chasers to be honest.  I would be interested in seeing it completed though.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »
Why show nothing but Tornado Road for nine straight hours though? IMO, they should show a variety of long-form shows.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
Why show nothing but Tornado Road for nine straight hours though? IMO, they should show a variety of long-form shows.

They should add a couple of Storm Stories, WWCH or something... I'd be annoyed if I watched Tornado Road 9 hours straight.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline WeatherPaparazzi

• View Profile
    • Breaking News Video Network
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »
I'd be annoyed if I watched Tornado Road 9 hours straight.

Try having to tune in and see yourself on TWC...

EDIT:  You can have fun with this show as a drinking game.  Everytime I get  bleeped, you can take shot or drink.  Just make sure you don't try and drive after the 6th show.

Doug
http://www.bnvn.com
http://www.WeatherPaparazzi.com
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:53:24 PM by WeatherPaparazzi »

Offline WeatherPaparazzi

• View Profile
    • Breaking News Video Network
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
Excuse me, but I believe you quoted at the wrong person there. I'm pretty sure that's directed at me and not at mike.

So, talk to the site admin, the quote thing is screwed up.

That does not change the fact that I have to go to the relatives and deal with this crap all day long.

Also, the show was NOT made for TWC, it was produced for NBC.  NBC was suppose to put it on a reality TV night with several other shows but they pulled the plug on their reality TV night last fall and we ended up on TWC. 

The NBC site for the show is still up http://www.nbc.com/Primetime/Tornado_Road/

The plan was for NBC to try and get some of the reality TV ratings from cable TV but someone killed that plan after all the shows were produced.  http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7993

So don't be hating on the show or the cast, we were never suppose to be on TWC.

Doug

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »
Excuse me, but I believe you quoted at the wrong person there. I'm pretty sure that's directed at me and not at mike.

So, talk to the site admin, the quote thing is screwed up.

That does not change the fact that I have to go to the relatives and deal with this crap all day long.

Also, the show was NOT made for TWC, it was produced for NBC.  NBC was suppose to put it on a reality TV night with several other shows but they pulled the plug on their reality TV night last fall and we ended up on TWC. 

The NBC site for the show is still up http://www.nbc.com/Primetime/Tornado_Road/

The plan was for NBC to try and get some of the reality TV ratings from cable TV but someone killed that plan after all the shows were produced.  http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7993

So don't be hating on the show or the cast, we were never suppose to be on TWC.

Doug

Were you the one who got the crappy partner? Nah we aren't hating on Tornado Road just TWC. I think you may have set a record for the number of times a person was beeped on TWC! haha This would have been a sweet show for NBC to show......much better than some of the crap they have.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:49:41 PM by Martin »