April 28, 2024, 05:54:43 AM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 268298 times)

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #585 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »
Forgot to mention they gave a local on the 8s at 8:50 CDT And it was silent, but I heard the chime and narrations. Weird.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #586 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard a former fan say that. I glad you like the changes. The more I see, the less I am impressed. I'm starting to think I should go into graphic design. Companies like Trollback make it look really easy. Blue box, gray box, black box, this font. Boom, done! Now where's my $10 million? :rolleyes:

You know I'm probably making more out of this than I should, but considering I'm currently a student in school for graphic design this statement really rubs me the wrong way. I respect that you dislike the design/graphics and find it unimpressive, it's your personal opinion. As hard as it may be to believe I'm about 99.9% sure TWC had a fair share of input in how they wanted their graphics to be presented so to make it seem like the group of graphic designers that worked on this for them just sat around on their butts and threw some crap together just for the money is a bit insulting.

I've been critical of some of the graphics TWC has chosen to use in the past. In retrospect, I don't care much for the design they chose to use during the first HD launch 5 years ago. I still think they missed the mark at not going with the other demo design that was floating around before that HD launch. However, I wouldn't cynically make it seem like money was the incentive for them not to make good graphics just because in my own opinion I didn't like the overall design. Not everything done in various professions has to be money motivated, it can be done because people naturally love to do that job and have a passion for it like I do now as student and hopefully soon as profession.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #587 on: November 12, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »
So, are you saying TWC can't show anything on Satellite?

Dish and Direct TV can use their own Stars to overlay their Stars' output over the national LDL, as in the past.  There's bound to some difficulty at first.

The whole system has had a few hiccups, but has otherwise been pretty successful for a flash-cut at 4:00 this morning, and with, apparently, rather little preparation time.  (The worst blooper I saw was at 5:00 this afternoon when the squeezeback didn't happen and the LDL/sidebar just got switched off after a few minutes.)

Just give it a little time.  Once things get ironed out, you might see some improvements.
Thanks, I was so pumped for this relaunch! One of the reasons was I was hoping it would make longform a little better to watch and when nothing changed i got nervous!

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #588 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »
I really like these new graphics!   :yes:

The "old" IS was starting to get tiresome.
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #589 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »
Forgot to mention they gave a local on the 8s at 8:50 CDT And it was silent, but I heard the chime and narrations. Weird.
same thing happened this afternoon during longform.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #590 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »
This might have already been asked or stated, but what are the XL/4000/Jr. viewers seeing during the LOT8's? Was the graphics update expanded to the legacy STAR's as well, or are they just receiving the national/satellite feed?
Those are still alive and well  :)
Not for much longer.
Yeah, I had a feeling that was gonna be said.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 12, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
I really like these new graphics!   :yes:

The "old" IS was starting to get tiresome.
I was getting tired of it, I mean, Come on! 5 years of the same thing! Unacceptable!

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
If you're watching on satellite, do you just see the transparent twc logo next to a title bar that says local on the 8s?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
There's something I wanted to have clarified about the IS2, did the design remain the same as before or did it also get graphically overhauled like it's IS counterpart? :dunno:

NintenGamers Nation

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 12, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »
There's something I wanted to have clarified about the IS2, did the design remain the same as before or did it also get graphically overhauled like it's IS counterpart? :dunno:
Yes, it did and it has better animations than the IS (by animations I mean fluid motion of the local information pages)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »

If I understand your question correctly, the IS2 now looks like its IS counterpart, except for a couple of minor details I mentioned earlier.  Here's my post.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:20:30 PM by WeatherWitness »

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 12, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »
Sorry if posted...

Yes, the network schedule changed starting November 12, 2013. Our first objective is to ensure our fans get their weather, all the time, on our screen, even during commercial breaks and when watching our shows. We hope our new scheduling changes inspire our fans to explore, investigate, and appreciate the experience of weather in all of its many forms, like we do everyday. 

The schedule changes on the weekdays include a morning destination with shows starting at 5:30 a.m. ET with Wake Up With Al and at 7 a.m. ET with Morning Rush,  where our fans can get the top stories about weather and other important news happening in our world with a focus on getting you prepared for whatever the day may bring. Weather Center Live starts at 10 a.m. ET giving you all the weather stories around our globe and hosted by the most talented meteorologists today. 

Starting at 8 p.m. ET and throughout the night, every night, we will provide our fans the most engaging stories of real people tackling the natural drama of lives lived in the elements.  Shows in November and December at night include Prospectors at 9 p.m. ET and Freaks of Nature at 10 p.m. ET every Sunday. 

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #597 on: November 12, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »
Overall, I like the concept of the graphics.

However, I have one complaint. In my opinion, the solid gray/white basemaps are too bland. I think it would be more appealling to use topographic basemaps. In addition, it's harder to see snowfall (color coded in either blue or white) depicted on those light-colored maps.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 12, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
Yes, it did and it has better animations than the IS (by animations I mean fluid motion of the local information pages)

Thanks for the clarification.

If I understand your question correctly, the IS2 now looks like its IS counterpart, except for a couple of minor details I mentioned earlier.  Here's my post.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I was curious if the comparisons were similar or not since I never really saw a photo or video of what it might look like. That's cool, now I know what to look out for if we ever get the IS2 here. It's been almost 3 1/2 years since it's beta release, so I've calculated it should be 19 years from now once I'm 40 by the time I see it. :lol:

NintenGamers Nation

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #599 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »
The weather icons are still the same as before on Weatherscan according to this YT video I found from today:

Weatherscan 11/12/13: NJ's first snow of the season.

Clip courtesy of Ike OrangeBox from YouTube.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)