May 09, 2024, 08:44:36 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 269363 times)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #315 on: November 11, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »
I got my DVR fired up for 3:30am ET on both SD (47) and HD (847) to catch the changes at 4am :D

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
 :biggrin: i hope someones able to upload to youtube! ill be watching live, but itll be cool to watch again.

here's the latest news story about it.

"We are getting back to our roots as a company," said David Clark, president, Weather Channel. "We wanted to get back to the core idea that this is a place where people get the weather."

The tactic is an attempt to retain and engage viewers during ad breaks. Networks including Fox and ESPN have also tested ways to keep viewers engaged during commercial breaks, including "double-box ad" formats, where the content continues to air in one small box while the commercial runs in another box.

For Weather Channel, making the forecast a persistent element coincides with a larger revamp of the channel, which includes a focus on Sunday night prime-time programming, amplifying its morning shows and a new tagline: "It's amazing out there."

Mr. Clark said the network had been missing opportunities to capture passion around the weather. It deviated a bit from its core mission in 2010, when it ramped up its reality TV programming and reduced its coverage of the weather. While it will continue to air shows like "Coast Guard Alaska," which follows Coast Guard members as they train and work, the network is adding science-driven, weather-centric, long-form documentaries on Sunday nights under the label "Natural Drama."

Weather Channel is also refreshing its on-air graphics to better accommodate a range of data sought by viewers, including pollen count and dew point.

Society is increasingly focused on data, said Scot Safon, a former CNN and HLN exec who was named CMO at Weather Channel in September. "The brand is completely built around data and data presentation and visualization."

Weather Channel worked with agencies Trollback, Mono and Man Made Music on the tagline and on-air revamp.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:25:43 AM by GEAUXmedic »

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #317 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »

With all the long form programming TWC has, do they really need a big set?

I'm surprised they are even getting a new studio.  The other one was pretty spiffy. 

I am also surprised they are updating the studio.  Going along with what Eric said, if they are increasing long-form, what is the purpose of even remodeling the studio?  However, I wonder if they are trying to confine the studio to a smaller space now, and they will be filling the excess space with something else we don’t know about yet?

Many of you seem confused as to why they would do a face lift to the set if there's a decrease in air time, and I get it.  But here's a question:  why do local television stations change their sets when they have less than 7 hours (give or take) of news broadcasting each day?

I compare it to that.  Always room for a face lift/image rebrand.

You bring up a good point, Andy.  Perhaps they are filling excess space with something else, whether it's behind the scenes stuff or stuff we'll see eventually.

And I'm going to stick with what I said earlier...these pictures are underwhelming (in my opinion).  Very anxious for the final result tomorrow!

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #318 on: November 11, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »

With all the long form programming TWC has, do they really need a big set?

I'm surprised they are even getting a new studio.  The other one was pretty spiffy. 

I am also surprised they are updating the studio.  Going along with what Eric said, if they are increasing long-form, what is the purpose of even remodeling the studio?  However, I wonder if they are trying to confine the studio to a smaller space now, and they will be filling the excess space with something else we don’t know about yet?

Many of you seem confused as to why they would do a face lift to the set if there's a decrease in air time, and I get it.  But here's a question:  why do local television stations change their sets when they have less than 7 hours (give or take) of news broadcasting each day?

I compare it to that.  Always room for a face lift/image rebrand.

You bring up a good point, Andy.  Perhaps they are filling excess space with something else, whether it's behind the scenes stuff or stuff we'll see eventually.

And I'm going to stick with what I said earlier...these pictures are underwhelming (in my opinion).  Very anxious for the final result tomorrow!

I agree with everything you said! Everyone does seem confused on why they changed their set. But your right! I know my local station changes their set often when they don't even need to and being only on the air for less than 7 hours a day. Your also right when saying the pictures are underwhelming. I can't wait to see the final product tomorrow. I'm so excited!!!! :biggrin:
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #319 on: November 11, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
Mike tweeted a pic of the set! It's looks great but, I can't post it. Wake Up With AL is on the Video Wall so the name is staying.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Mike tweeted a pic of the set! It's looks great but, I can't post it. Wake Up With AL is on the Video Wall so the name is staying.

In addition to that ^

Why am I feeling a slight sense of nostalgia when I look at this?
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
From Jen on Twitter:

Tmrw, join @TWCAlexWallace & me for the 1st show in a new look on @weatherchannel! 4am EST #WeatherCenterLive http://bit.ly/1bnMegz

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
This is interesting. On the weather channel feedback forum the idea for "What happened to the smooth jazz on the local on the 8s?" It has been changed from Open for voting to Acknowledged. Changed 4 days ago. Originaly it was Jazmine Maddox who responded but now it says Steve Windham?  :thinking: Although the response has not changed every other requests in the forum have been acknowledged? Who knows what this means for us?

EDIT: All the posts for the TV section of feedback.weather.com is gone?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:25:00 PM by weatherfan_2013 »

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #323 on: November 11, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »
"We are getting back to our roots as a company," said David Clark, president, Weather Channel. "We wanted to get back to the core idea that this is a place where people get the weather."

"Mr. Clark said the network had been missing opportunities to capture passion around the weather. It deviated a bit from its core mission in 2010, when it ramped up its reality TV programming and reduced its coverage of the weather. While it will continue to air shows like "Coast Guard Alaska," which follows Coast Guard members as they train and work, the network is adding science-driven, weather-centric, long-form documentaries on Sunday nights under the label "Natural Drama." "

That's funny. They are still airing junk like Prospectors that has nothing to do with weather and they cut back on the live hours for more taped programming just like they did in 2010.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #325 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-gets-new-look-set-mantra_b203159

^^ I was just going to post this article.

Interesting excerpt: "Mornings, the network’s most popular daypart, will feature a new set and new graphics and a new marketing campaign. Among total viewers for Q3 2013-to-date, the 6-9am block trails Fox News, MSNBC and CNN, but with 233,000 viewers, tops HLN (208,000) and CNBC (114,000)." 

This could be an answer to all your questions about the changing of the set if they are cutting back.

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #326 on: November 11, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »

In addition to that ^

Why am I feeling a slight sense of nostalgia when I look at this?

Man, a nice clear photo really does that set justice.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 11, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »
No more DP and no LO8 LDL during first segment of prospectors. 

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 11, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

Everything is debuting tomorrow, so don't expect any changes yet. ;)

Thanks for posting Mike's crystal clear picture Ana!  I wish they would do another panoramic of the finished product.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:24:54 PM by WeatherWitness »

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »

Everything is debuting tomorrow, so don't expect any changes yet. ;)

Thanks for posting Mike's crystal clear picture Ana!  I wish they would do another panoramic of the finished product.
True but I do find it intresting that there's been no LO8 LDL this afternoon yet.
EDIT: never mind, regular LO8 LDL at 1:38PM CT 

Look what I found on TVNewser: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-gets-new-look-set-mantra_b203159

Also pics are coming in from Paul, Kim and Shawn Reynolds on twtter but their not crystal clear. Ana, how did you get Mike's crystal clear?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:42:23 PM by jrhtwc »