April 27, 2024, 10:02:58 AM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 268194 times)

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
Here's a response from Kim on FB about her new schedule, "I will still be seen during the week 7-8pm during the week and part of the local severe weather team on weekends and after 8pm."

I'm guessing "the local severe weather team on weekends and after 8pm" means that if there is a severe storm in a regional area after 8pm weekdays or 2pm weekends that TWC goes live to those areas on a alternate feed while everyone else stays on long form.
I hope this alternate feed does not require the IS2 to switch it on because my cable system does not have the IS2.
Sounds like the return of dual feed. We know the IS has dual feed, the IS2 probably does too, though I'm not sure if it has ever been used.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
Here's a response from Kim on FB about her new schedule, "I will still be seen during the week 7-8pm during the week and part of the local severe weather team on weekends and after 8pm."

I'm guessing "the local severe weather team on weekends and after 8pm" means that if there is a severe storm in a regional area TWC goes live to those areas on a alternate feed while everyone else stays on long form.
I hope this alternate feed does not require the IS2 to switch it on because my cable system does not have the IS2.
Intresting. What about DISH and DTV?, are they separated into regions?  Would they go live to the whole country for a Nor Easter/East Cost Storm, Blizzard, or Tropical? I'm assuming this team will do the regular weather updates? What about Afternoon longform?

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 9348
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
Well No WCL tonight! I guess TWC has the real schedule.  Tues can't come soon enough!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #288 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Comcast's programming guide still hasn't showed any changes in the schedule outside of 8pm-4am being longform. I don't see any name changes or live programming shows being dropped on Tuesday. :no:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2013, 01:48:47 AM »
Does anybody know why there has not been any WCL tonight?
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #290 on: November 10, 2013, 02:47:29 AM »
Maybe they wanted to be on tape so they could fishing up work on the studio remodel and test the new graphics?

Another update on the OCM's shift changes,
"Alexandra Wilson November 8
Last night with the Weather Center Live Crew! I'm headed back to mornings for a while - but first, I'll be off next week to celebrate my birthday (it's the Big 3-0)! Hope you have a great weekend, too!"

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 10, 2013, 06:16:55 AM »
im guessing their new slogan is "its amazing out there", there modifying the whole building

notice the use of the weather forecast logos on the elevators, and whatever that is laying on the ground outside

weather channel elevators have new doors lol

here's david clark (president) playing with the new monitors?

he also tweeted this photo ???

from chris warren, seem to be testing

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:20:09 AM by GEAUXmedic »

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 10, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
I wonder... if the lion's share of programming is supposed to be longform, they're spending an awful lot of time, effort, and money on upgrading studios that wouldn't be used so much. :dunno:

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
Jen Carfagno just posted this on Facebook regarding Weekend View:

Just finished the last ever "Weekend View" show on The Weather Channel. I will be here next weekend anchoring with Alex Wallace...in a new studio with a new show name!

Another update from Jen. Apparently, Weather Center Live is replacing Weekend View:

Change is good and exciting ... But still, hard to change your name ...  Next weekend, mornings will be known as Weather Center Live.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:28:01 AM by Trevor »

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »
After reading through posts and such, I seriously hope that for TWC's well being that this isn't the final product. That looks half- :censored: for a studio. The anchor desks look like they're made out of white cardboard that has been folded and cut to form a desk. The floor/stage area for that (the 'desk') just appears to be a large plastic box-like platform and the entire floor looks terrible where you can see the 'stage' ending. What in the world are they thinking? This is a studio? I sincerely hope they're also going to make more use of the space they have, but given that the weather producer desk is now out in the floor where the old desk w/ the four monitors were, I'm thinking that's unlikely. Goodness, TWC, what in the world have you done to your once beautiful studio.  :blink:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:03:14 PM by Donovan »

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
After reading through posts and such, I seriously hope that for TWC's well being that this isn't the final product. That looks half- :censored: for a studio. The anchor desks look like they're made out of white cardboard that has been folded and cut to form a desk. The floor/stage area for that (the 'desk') just appears to be a large plastic box-like platform and the entire floor looks terrible where you can see the 'stage' ending. What in the world are they thinking? This is a studio? I sincerely hope they're also going to make more use of the space they have, but given that the weather producer desk is now out in the floor where the old desk w/ the four monitors were, I'm thinking that's unlikely. Goodness, TWC, what in the world have you done to your once beautiful studio.  :blink:

While the set certainly looks smaller, it's pretty obvious the "desk" area is just a placeholder for testing purposes. I'd guess the desk goes in last.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #296 on: November 10, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
With all the long form programming TWC has, do they really need a big set?

I'm surprised they are even getting a new studio.  The other one was pretty spiffy. 

I'm going to say these pictures aren't doing the studio justice.  Anxious for the debut Tuesday, as I am sure is the case with all of you.  Keep the expectations low so your less likely to be disappointed :P.

Offline micvachon

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 528
  • SD Channel #: 28
« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
I'm very excited to see all the new graphics and the new studio on Tuesday! I'm practically refreshing this page every 5 minutes to see if there's anything new to see lol. And then of course when I see there's a new post in here I get all excited :P

However, after reading thru the posts the last few months and especially the last couple of weeks...does the following seem like what is going to be the new norm at TWC?...

-No live weather coverage during week days after 8pm
-No live weather coverage during weekend days after 2pm
-When there's severe weather during those "off hours" only people in the local areas being affected by severe weather will have live, severe weather coverage, while the rest of the country is forced to watch the reality shows?

Do I understand correctly?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
Please excuse all the replies...

I agree with you, Donovan.  I would *hope* that the desk there is just a placeholder as mightynine said.  Because I thought I remember seeing or reading somewhere that a new anchor desk was going to be put in, and the one there now looks like it could snap in half and crumble to pieces in minutes.  It would be hard to go from that huge, swivel desk to this cheap piece of crap, but then again, TWC has done crazier things before.

With all the long form programming TWC has, do they really need a big set?

I'm surprised they are even getting a new studio.  The other one was pretty spiffy. 

I am also surprised they are updating the studio.  Going along with what Eric said, if they are increasing long-form, what is the purpose of even remodeling the studio?  However, I wonder if they are trying to confine the studio to a smaller space now, and they will be filling the excess space with something else we don’t know about yet?

I'm very excited to see all the new graphics and the new studio on Tuesday! I'm practically refreshing this page every 5 minutes to see if there's anything new to see lol. And then of course when I see there's a new post in here I get all excited :P

However, after reading thru the posts the last few months and especially the last couple of weeks...does the following seem like what is going to be the new norm at TWC?...

-No live weather coverage during week days after 8pm
-No live weather coverage during weekend days after 2pm
-When there's severe weather during those "off hours" only people in the local areas being affected by severe weather will have live, severe weather coverage, while the rest of the country is forced to watch the reality shows?

Do I understand correctly?

I think that is correct.  At least, that's what I have understood so far.

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
I'm guessing if TWC decided to cut back on studio hours, they looked at the cost of keeping the HD studio as is, and decided it didn't make sense for the number of hours it would be in use.

So they made a smaller main set, almost a supersized local news style set, that could give them a number of "looks" but at a lower cost. If half the studio is "dark" that's half the maintence cost.

As of right now, it looks like the video screens would be the most expensive part of the set. The set pieces themselves look pretty basic.