May 06, 2024, 04:02:57 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 269183 times)

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #255 on: November 06, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »
thats just beautiful, no more depressing lighting... those graphics are amazing..

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2013, 01:29:57 AM »
Also Jim Cantore mentioned he liked that you get your local forecast all the time, you don't have to wait for your local on the 8s. Not groundbreaking... just thought provoking.

An LDL, even an always-on and expanded LDL, is still just an LDL.  There's so much more that an actual local forecast segment can provide, assuming TWC gives that segment an appropriate amount of time.  (One minute just does not cut it.)  I sincerely hope that the new LDL isn't seen as a replacement for actual local forecasts and for actual weather programming, but, sadly, I think that's the new direction TWC is going in.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #257 on: November 07, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
This is off topic but still very interesting!  WeatherNation debuted a new LDL yesterday (they call it a banner) and last night, at least my station in Milwaukee WI, squeezed back the commercials and kept the LDL up! Those of you who have WN may want to check it out.   Competition perhaps?  Or does TWC have a hit on their hands that others want to follow? I would love to see that new tool debut before the new set!

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »
Also Jim Cantore mentioned he liked that you get your local forecast all the time, you don't have to wait for your local on the 8s. Not groundbreaking... just thought provoking.

An LDL, even an always-on and expanded LDL, is still just an LDL.  There's so much more that an actual local forecast segment can provide, assuming TWC gives that segment an appropriate amount of time.  (One minute just does not cut it.)  I sincerely hope that the new LDL isn't seen as a replacement for actual local forecasts and for actual weather programming, but, sadly, I think that's the new direction TWC is going in.

That's not the direction TWC is going in. In the WATT preview video they still had local forecast, weather programming, etc. Not to sound rude but re-watch the WATT video again and you will see they are still going to have those things.  :yes:
Brandon Mahaffey

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 07, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »
Only 5 more days till WATT!!! I can't wait! I'm off from work that day so I will be watching all day! This is going to be a good change for TWC and in the right direction.  :clap:
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »
Studio is almost done!!

Here's a 360 degree view

http://360.io/77WuQp

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:57:55 AM by GEAUXmedic »

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 08, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
Looks like a much smaller set overall.  Think they might move that green screen closer?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2013, 10:22:14 AM »
It does look smaller, and that area where the video wall is has much "warmer" feeling to it.

BTW, did we ever find out what was in the mysterious "Fragile" box???

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
It does look smaller, and that area where the video wall is has much "warmer" feeling to it.

It really does look a lot smaller than the old one. I normally don't say this but I'm not sure if I like the new set. I guess I will just have to see it in production then make my decision if I like it or not. And as far as I know we still don't know what was in that "Fragile" box. I was trying to look at that 360 view of the new studio and figure out what might have been in that box but I sure as hell can't figure it out lol.
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »

Yes. I had posted it a page back. The name on the crate is stewart. That company makes video screens for broadcast sets.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »

Yes. I had posted it a page back. The name on the crate is stewart. That company makes video screens for broadcast sets.

OK, so in the box were probably the screens that went in the "windows" Jen was talking about in the videos posted.

EDIT: Also, for those of you who are curious to see a "then" and "now," weather.com still has their interactive tour of the HD studio along with some great pictures at http://www.weather.com/tv/studio/index.html.  Seems like just yesterday I couldn't wait to see the unveiling of the new studio!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:22:23 PM by WeatherWitness »

Offline ap215

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 09, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »
TWC - Before & After And here's a look at the new Local On The 8's

The Weather Channel: Before and After

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
LOVE the weather ticker during longform.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #268 on: November 09, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
Why do I have the feeling there's more live weather programming in that short video clip than we'll see on a typical programming day when the new format begins?  I would give an arm and a leg to go back to the days before all this longform.  Not only that, but weather programming ("Weather Center," "Your Weather Today," "Good Morning Forecast," etc.) was a million times better than the pseudo-tabloid weather programming they have now, where so much time is taken up with Twitter, videoclips, and empty discussion.  Show a freaking weather map once in a while, whydontcha?! :hammer:

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
LOVE the weather ticker during longform.
YES! Finally!  Although, the ticker/LDL almost blends in with the longform. No L bar during longform, oh well.  I'm dying to see where the LO8/Live Updates/extended coverage fits in with longform. I was hoping that snow storm would hold true for next week but it doesn't look like it today.  I'm also dying to see what DISH and DTV gets.
As for TWC Before And After, the only new footage is the ticker/LDL over longform.  That commercial ran 1:15. Would TWC be able to show that on air?