May 02, 2024, 08:08:30 PM

Author Topic: OCM Layoff- Bill Keneely  (Read 86060 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: OCM Layoff- Bill Keneely
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 10:39:24 PM »
ratings and $$$
Dr. Steve Lyons was popular. He had his own promos, and was well-respected by many viewers.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:07 AM »
ratings and $$$
Dr. Steve Lyons was popular. He had his own promos, and was well-respected by many viewers.
I was very surprised at the loss of him. I imagine there was a lot of politics with the decision.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »
ratings and $$$
Dave Schwartz was just as popular as Dr. Lyons IMO. He didn't have his own promos, but he was a great OCM and TWC just didn't have the money to keep him.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
Dave Schwartz was just as popular as Dr. Lyons IMO. He didn't have his own promos, but he was a great OCM and TWC just didn't have the money to keep him.
I know, just look at all the groups, petitions, and websites that have been created for him. And TWC hasn't listened one bit. Dave would be a perfect companion with Ray, Alex, or Danielle on SW/WV. :(

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »
I know, just look at all the groups, petitions, and websites that have been created for him. And TWC hasn't listened one bit. Dave would be a perfect companion with Ray, Alex, or Danielle on SW/WV. :(
Sadly, I don't think that would be enough for TWC to rehire him. It's the amount of wages that matter here :(

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:31 AM »
$$$ is all people care about. It's ridiculous. <_<

Offline twcc_hdayejr

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1370
  • HD WxStar ID #: ?
  • SD Channel #: 56
Re: OCM Layoffs
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2010, 09:58:59 PM »
Jim is pretty much the "face" of The Weather Channel, so I HIGHLY doubt they will let him go. ;)

As for Stephanie, heck, is she even around at TWC anymore or on assigment somewhere else? Who does WUWA now? I never watch it (nor will I) to find out.

But it is sad that these "classic" OCMs are being laid off. I'm just interested to know WHO TWC likes and WHY they like them. For example, why are Jen and Adam the ones hosting the Summer Beach Party? I like them both...I think they would do a great job, but WHY are they the ones hosting. :dunno:

If you need any further evidence of Cantore being their "poster boy", watch the new ads they have with him. They make him look like a football player entering the arena. Instead, he's walking into a Cat. 5 hurricane

Cantore, Abrams, Bettes, and Roker are probably signed for life with that channel, the rest are probably going to be shown the door before long. Hate to say it, but I bet Viv Brown is the next one to hit the deck.

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
They made that Cantore commercial last year; they just brought it back recently.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2010, 03:55:06 AM »
Cantore, Abrams, Bettes, and Roker are probably signed for life with that channel, the rest are probably going to be shown the door before long. Hate to say it, but I bet Viv Brown is the next one to hit the deck.
I too am worried about her! :(

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »

i could give you a few reasons why she can't be touched.. although i rather not specify.. :)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
I feel you Martin :( The only things i see with her is that shes no Cantore and joined later than him being 1989 IIRC. Its a shame TWC doesnt wanty to keep the vets because of money, and I havent seen the freelancers in ages :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »
What about Carl Parker? He's been on the network long enough as well. I'd hate to see him out of the door!

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2010, 12:02:20 PM »
What about Carl Parker? He's been on the network long enough as well. I'd hate to see him out of the door!
I don't think they'd get rid of Carl, he is still young.

I am thinking of Jeff Morrow.  He has been there quite a while, too.  I am glad to see he is back in the studio doing the weather :).

I was thinking of Vivian Brown the other day.  I sure hope they don't get rid of her.  I enjoy catching her on PM Edition.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
I don't think they'd get rid of Carl, he is still young.

I am thinking of Jeff Morrow.  He has been there quite a while, too.  I am glad to see he is back in the studio doing the weather :).

I was thinking of Vivian Brown the other day.  I sure hope they don't get rid of her.  I enjoy catching her on PM Edition.
I guess that makes sense, though I wasn't aware NBC was also hiring/laying off OCMs based on age. Vivian has been on since 1989, IIRC. I hope she doesn't get the boot since I've enjoyed watching her on the afternoons for years. She's one of the OCMs who I can clearly remember watching back in the late 90's.

Offline wxsurfer

• Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
Once again, another NBC blunder of letting go another OCM talent! They would rather keep the "sagging ratings clown" Al Roker with his limited knowledge of weather and his high salary on, than keep someone that has been with TWC from the gitgo! Keneely was good, had a big following, and will land a BETTER job just like Steve Lyons did. In the long run, Bill Keneely will be very happy to get away from that "gang" from NBC.  Good luck Bill! Call Steve up and he will tell you how happy he is in Texas!