June 06, 2024, 08:51:18 AM

Author Topic: Why no Marine Forecast on Great Lakes IntelliStars?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline IntelliStar

• View Profile
Why no Marine Forecast on Great Lakes IntelliStars?
« on: August 21, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »
I was wondering, is there any particular reason where there is no Marine Forecast product on Great Lakes IntelliStars?  I can see why there is no Tides product, since the Great Lakes does not actually have tides, however, the NWS still gives marine forecasts for the Great Lakes.

And no, the Marine Forecast product does not have to coexist with the Tides product.  For example, Choice Cable TV upgraded to IntelliStar in 2006 where it had the Tides product, but didn't get the Marine Forecast product until 2007.  Therefore, it would definitely be possible to have a Marine Forecast product for the Great Lakes without having to add a Tides product.

Is there any reason why?

Offline bobalong

• Watching TWC since 1990
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 31
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31331
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Why no Marine Forecast on Great Lakes IntelliStars?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »
No marine forecasts on Intellistar for the Great Lakes? Wow that is surprising. I live in New England but I've been to Lakes Erie and Michigan and they are just like the ocean, complete with storms, big waves, wave cut shorelines and no land visible on the horizon. They also have large recreational boating and shipping operations and are one of our most important water routes. The same navigation rules apply. Just about the only difference from the ocean is the fresh water. So I agree there should be a marine or lakes water forecast on the LF for the Great Lakes.

Offline IntelliStar

• View Profile
Re: Why no Marine Forecast on Great Lakes IntelliStars?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »
No marine forecasts on Intellistar for the Great Lakes? Wow that is surprising. I live in New England but I've been to Lakes Erie and Michigan and they are just like the ocean, complete with storms, big waves, wave cut shorelines and no land visible on the horizon. They also have large recreational boating and shipping operations and are one of our most important water routes. The same navigation rules apply. Just about the only difference from the ocean is the fresh water. So I agree there should be a marine or lakes water forecast on the LF for the Great Lakes.

According to user wxntrafficfan (hasn't been active recently), no, Great Lakes IntelliStars don't have any marine products. As I said, the Great Lakes are non-tidal, which is why NOAA doesn't provide tide forecasts there. However, the NWS does indeed provide marine forecasts, which is why it could easily be added to Great Lakes IntelliStars.