May 03, 2024, 06:52:25 PM

Author Topic: Independent Music Removal  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Independent Music Removal
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »
Why can't they just use mainly jazz and maybe some other varieties. Variety is actually good, but they should use 75-80% of the songs in the list as jazz and 20% other genres. They just don't know what they're doing for themselves.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
Hi Guys,
     Thanks as always for the support.  As for what kind of music it sounds like they're either going for theme based music - to presumably give them a consistent identity or a package of specific music from a company like the Satellite music stations pre-programmed selections (possibly still Smooth Jazz although they've expressed a desire to have more variety). 
     Either way it's just one less outlet for independent music exposure - and more specifically independent Jazz.
This is sad news to hear! Thank you so much for letting us know and keeping us updated! TWC is really shooting itself in the foot. Its tarnishing its image and turning away viewers who have been regular viewers for years. Dont know why things that work have to be changed.  :no:

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »
This is a little weird. Steve Hurst told me something like this would happen years ago. Well, he didn't say it "would" happen, just that it was an option they were considering. He told me that it's become rather expensive to play commercial music because of outrageous royalty fees (most of which, I'm sure the record companies give to the artists [haha - yah right]). Back in the day, most independent artists were happy to have their music on the air for free (to get exposure). This is not the case anymore. So while I agree that this is a decision that will piss a lot of people off, I can understand why they're doing it. But look on the bright side, maybe they'll play Network Music again? Or Trammell?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:37:10 AM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 12:22:18 PM »
imin, I am so sorry. I can't imagine what it would be like for you. :no:

NBC is really making a lot of wrong moves. :club: :club: :club: :club: :club:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »
Trammell is signed with a record company? I thought he's an independent artist. :unsure:

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »
Well IMO I think that they definately shouldn't get rid of their original smooth jazz, but i'm also a big rock fan so i think it would be really cool if they started to do rock too.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »
Well IMO I think that they definately shouldn't get rid of their original smooth jazz, but i'm also a big rock fan so i think it would be really cool if they started to do rock too.

Do you even realize that this means she won't make any money off of her music? :o :blink:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »

Do you even realize that this means she won't make any money off of her music? :o :blink:

Oh sorry. I just realized that a twc musician started this thread  :doh: In that case thats not cool  :no:

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »
Trammell is signed with a record company? I thought he's an independent artist. :unsure:
same here, me gots a bad feeling

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 11:49:48 PM »
TWC has been consistently shooting themselves in the foot ever since they were bought out by NBC. This is just the icing on the cake.

He does production music. The TWC set was production music.
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
Wow, this is such a shame for you Jeanne, as well as all the other independent artists featured on TWC. It's definitely the WRONG thing for TWC to do. If I had any interest left in TWC this would have killed it.

I do wonder though, where you guys got the notion that they're gonna use rock music. I didn't read that part in the memo Jeanne posted...

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »
I do wonder though, where you guys got the notion that they're gonna use rock music. I didn't read that part in the memo Jeanne posted...
Well Gary, they are. Just look at the June playlist- There are far more songs of the Rock genre than of jazz or most anything else.  <_<  :(
There is no indication that they are definitively choosing Rock as their genre.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »
Well Gary, they are. Just look at the June playlist- There are far more songs of the Rock genre than of jazz or most anything else.  <_<  :(

Wow, this is such a shame for you Jeanne, as well as all the other independent artists featured on TWC. It's definitely the WRONG thing for TWC to do. If I had any interest left in TWC this would have killed it.
Agreed. The only reason I am still watching TWC is because I have had so many years tied up with them. It is not easy to leave a lifelong hobby like that.  :no:
TWC and NBC will notice their ratings and viewers go down to the sewer. It would be nice if they realized they had fans.

However, it seems to me like they know they are disapproving to the audience they have always had. They are including at least some jazz. I notice there is at least one Ryan Farish song. But having said that, I didn't say that they care. I wonder how many people would agree to and/or sign a petition on this.......  :thinking:

All those groups (except maybe one) have been featured on TWC in years past. Nothing really new on that playlist. And as Gil said, there's no indication they plan to go with an all rock format. Tht's just a premature conclusion on your part.

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »
On MY part? I don't think you've read through the forums much lately. I am clearly not the only one who has come to that "premature conclusion"
So just because more than one person says the same thing, that makes it true?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »
Someone please tell me..how rock from the 60s and 70s is supposed to appeal a younger
audience versus smooth jazz from the 2000s? :whistling: TWC has used rock before and I don't mind them using rock as long as the MAJORITY of the playlist is jazz. Just 6 jazz songs and the rest rock, chill and pop? That's supposed to be a minority...the Indie and Mainstream jazz should still be the majority.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:36:33 PM by Localonthe8s »