April 27, 2024, 04:18:47 PM

Author Topic: 4000/XL/Jr. - The End Is Near  (Read 40568 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: 4000/XL/Jr. - The End Is Near
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »
Also, I'm probably the only person here that has never seen a STAR XL in person ever :(

Really?  Interesting.  I've unfortunately never seen anything below an XL in person (4000, 3000, Jr, etc.) but I have seen versions 2 and 3 of the XL.  In fact, I'll never forget when Dallas still had the XL and my reaction when this new local forecast suddenly appeared (the IntelliSTAR :P ).

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »
I'm starting to wonder what will happen once the legacy STAR units are disconnected and decommissioned by the cable headends who still had them.  :thinking:  Perhaps maybe the headends are going to just throw the units away or even try to sell them to TWC fans?  :dunno:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »
Wouldn't count on that second possibility.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I'm starting to wonder what will happen once the legacy STAR units are disconnected and decommissioned by the cable headends who still had them.  :thinking:  Perhaps maybe the headends are going to just throw the units away or even try to sell them to TWC fans?  :dunno:

Previously, headends that upgraded were required to return the old Stars to The Weather Channel, which still owned them.  However, when the WeatherStar III was discontinued because of a change in FCC policy, headends were instructed to dispose of them.  I honestly don't know what the requirement will be for the 4000, XL, and Jr. Stars.  However, it's extremely unlikely that headends will have permission to sell them to the public - or anyone, for that matter.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
I believe it's up to the headend on what they want to do. I'm sure a majority will scrap their STARs while some may go to eBay to sell theirs. However, I don't see why TWC would need them anymore if they're going to be out of service now.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
I believe it's up to the headend on what they want to do. I'm sure a majority will scrap their STARs while some may go to eBay to sell theirs. However, I don't see why TWC would need them anymore if they're going to be out of service now.

But do they have the right to sell the old Stars, or even dispose of them in a manner that TWC doesn't specify?  I highly doubt it.  When the III was decomissioned I remember reading a document written by TWC specifically instructing the headends to dispose of the old units.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »
From what I was told by Vala over at Taiganet, her local cable company was directed to send all of their equipment back to TWC. That may be due to their contract (between the operator and TWC) but who knows. But to bring it all down, I think it depends on whether the operator purchased the machines or if they were leasing them since it seems like they either wind up in the trash or wind up being sent back to TWC. I also wouldn't count on eBay. Very rarely do they pop up on there. Chances are they'll just sell all of it to a liquidator or put it on a storage rack depending on company policy.

However, when the WeatherStar III was discontinued because of a change in FCC policy, headends were instructed to dispose of them.
Any documents to cite? TWC told me that III's were still out in the field as of 2012. That, and I have documents from TWC that prove the III was made compliant to these new FCC regulations in 2004. Until then, I believe that the III's are still out there (given thats what I was told from TWC when I requested some information from them). That, and the III uses the same exact data format and transmission/decoding methods as the Junior. Just change the dials on the front of the III with a Junior serial and you're in business.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
The documents I saw were a decade ago.  I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to look.

As I understood it, it was possible to add a device to the III to make it sound a warning tone at every instance of a warning appearing, not just the first one, so that the unit would comply with the new FCC regulations, but TWC decided it was too much to have to worry about a 20-year machine.  Therefore, since the III would no longer be in compliance with the FCC regulations, it couldn't be used anymore.  The Jr. did get that upgrade, however.

According to what I saw back in 2004, the headends were at liberty to simply dispose of the III units instead of returning them, since TWC had no future use for them, anyway.  To be honest, I've heard no reports of a III being used beyond 2004.  Unless I missed something at the last minute, and haven't heard otherwise in the decade since, there were to be no exceptions to the rule discontinuing all III units by the end of 2004.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 11:10:54 PM »
As I understood it, it was possible to add a device to the III to make it sound a warning tone at every instance of a warning appearing, not just the first one, so that the unit would comply with the new FCC regulations, but TWC decided it was too much to have to worry about a 20-year machine.  Therefore, since the III would no longer be in compliance with the FCC regulations, it couldn't be used anymore.  The Jr. did get that upgrade, however.

You're somewhat correct with that. Refer to this document: http://star.fru.me/legacy_audio_alert_rel_notes.pdf

TWC has updated the machine remotely according to that document, which makes sense. It's a simple software change, no big hardware change. The Junior is a bit of a different story due to it using ROMs (which is why the external alert generator was needed). If they did discontinue the III, why would they have made that update and tell me in 2012 that it is still in production? I'm not trying to argue; just a friendly little debate.

On the back of the III, you are right. You can add external equipment on the terminal strips. The Junior alert generator actually could be used on this terminal strip and operate properly as the generator is seriously just a 5V relay that triggers sound to overlap the incoming audio.

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »
On my STAR database site I'm currently working on a new page for IS2 Jr units which I hope to have ready by tomorrow. Quick question for anyone who might know just out of curiosity  -- for the legacy STARs, wouldn't the STAR ID numbers remain the same as before with the new IS2 Jrs or would it be a different number?
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
On my STAR database site I'm currently working on a new page for IS2 Jr units which I hope to have ready by tomorrow. Quick question for anyone who might know just out of curiosity  -- for the legacy STARs, wouldn't the STAR ID numbers remain the same as before with the new IS2 Jrs or would it be a different number?
I doubt it. Back then, STAR IDs were actually tied to the headend, meaning as a headend went from the I/I/III, to the 4000, and then to the XL, the headend ID # remained the same. Ever since the IntelliStar, the ID number has been tied to the unit itself.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
I doubt it. Back then, STAR IDs were actually tied to the headend, meaning as a headend went from the I/I/III, to the 4000, and then to the XL, the headend ID # remained the same. Ever since the IntelliStar, the ID number has been tied to the unit itself.

Oh okay that makes sense. When Charter cable in Omak, WA upgraded from a III to a 4000 in '04 the STAR ID remained the same.
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 12:11:57 AM »
Apologies for double-posting but I just opened the new IS2 Jr page on my STAR database, which features 4 known units so far. Here's the link:

http://weatherstardatabase.webs.com/intellistar-2-jr
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:00:56 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 08:53:56 AM »
Perhaps maybe the headends are going to just throw the units away or even try to sell them to TWC fans?

I expect them to be thrown out. A few of us here, myself included, who possess a legacy STAR unit rescued them from a dumpster. Shipping a giant paperweight like  that back to TWC is ridiculously expensive.

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »
It would be kinda neat to have one - if they would allow it knowing that they don't want them back.

I have an SGI Indigo that still works.

.....my avatar will live on!  B) :rofl: