April 27, 2024, 11:41:31 PM

Author Topic: 4000/XL/Jr. - The End Is Near  (Read 40571 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: 4000/XL/Jr. - The End Is Near
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
Confirmed via Twitter this morning

@freddyflaxman: @daveclark @Gt1racer @gdlott Thanks for the tip, Alex! We sent a i2jr SD STAR to Mattoon. The new gfx will be released to it on June 10.
Maybe on a somewhat more related note does that mean the music will change next Tuesday as well?

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
Confirmed via Twitter this morning

@freddyflaxman: @daveclark @Gt1racer @gdlott Thanks for the tip, Alex! We sent a i2jr SD STAR to Mattoon. The new gfx will be released to it on June 10.
Take it for what its worth, but Dave Clark told me via Twitter that I would have the IS2 by now on Verizon, and that was months ago. Yet to still have it.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »
Analog retired as of 4:35 AM EDT today. There is now no more signal..

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 07:45:06 AM »
Oh, that's sad.... I never got to see a legacy star in person. I guess I never will.  :noexpression: RIP WeatherStars 4000-XL

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
Oh, that's sad.... I never got to see a legacy star in person. I guess I never will.  :noexpression: RIP WeatherStars 4000-XL

Actually.. on a better note, I was wrong, there was something wrong with the ground station equipment. The analog is still with us  :yes:

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
Yay! I might still have a chance!

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
Yay! I might still have a chance!
Well hurry up if you want to. You might only have days, if that... ;) :D :P

Offline TWCC_VernonMetcalf

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 56
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24788
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
According to SatelliteGuys, the analog feed is no more as of yesterday afternoon.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/the-weather-chanel-c3-13-leaves-analog.338956/

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
I've always wondered if they put up a warning message before the analog signal's shutdown. I'm sure this doesn't effect cable systems that are already using digital satellite signals. Supposedly, TWC previously did this to the WeatherStar III back in late 2004. I've always wanted to see video of that.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline Coldwinter

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22420
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
Aww, I miss the Legacy STARs.  :censored:, I had one when I lived in New York's Finger Lakes region (it was a Jr.).

Offline TWCC_VernonMetcalf

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 56
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24788
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »
I've also found out from Rick's Satellite Wildfeed & Backhaul Forums that there were symptoms over the past week described how soon The Weather Channel's analog feed would end. Although the analog feed would exclusively be for the commercial subscribers since the end of 2008, The Weather Channel was said to be fixed-key sometimes. One of the symptoms over the past several days included the color bars. http://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/post/weather-channel-vc-2-3483212?&trail=30
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:23:18 PM by TWCC_VernonMetcalf »

Offline jsb1980

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: AT&T U-Verse
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2014, 06:14:52 AM »
[quote author=Eric link=topic=5054.msg189782#msg189782 date=1401724712

I'm sure there has to be a legitimate business reason behind delaying cutting off the analogue feed other than that enough people at TWC are "sentimental" about the legacy STARs.  This is a large country with a huge number of headends, and, even with plenty of advance notice, chances are not everyone's going to be ready for such a major change.  Given the choice between meeting its deadline but losing viewers or quietly extending the deadline in the hope that those headends that haven't caught up to modernity yet eventually will, TWC would much rather retain viewers through the use of antiquated equipment.

I'm sure not every headend operator can easily afford to upgrade to new equipment to keep up with the rapidly-changing times, and The Weather Channel usually isn't at the top of the list of priorities for where a headend's money should be spent.  If money were no object, then every headend would be equipped with an IntelliStar 2.  My cable company is currently in the process of upgrading to an all-digital signal, years behind some of the bigger players in the cable TV field.  And there are plenty of cable companies smaller than mine that are lucky to still exist, basically.
[/quote]

There are a number of reasons that TWC needed to get rid of the analog feed:

1. Videocipher. The Videocipher technology was a big help for TWC's systems.  But that tech started going away in the 90s.  General Instrument killed production of the VCII+/RS modules in 98.  As time passed, working VCII encoders/decoders probably became harder to come by.  That, combined with the shift of other broadcasters to digital format made it necessary to transition.  And Motorola's decision to stop authorizing VCII/RS decoders at the end of 2008 cut off TWC from the BUD market.  (I somehow envisioned in my home TWC's uplink using a Videocipher Encoder that still had "Property of HBO" stenciled on it somewhere :-D)

2. Cost-effectiveness.  In the 90s, digital compression enabled more than one program to share a single transponder on a satellite.  Where 25 years ago, you had 24 channels on a C-Band satellite (32 on Ku-Band), you can now fit a lot more.  That and analog satellite equipment was probably becoming more expensive to maintain.  And parts for the existing reception/transmission equipment were probably becoming harder to come by (like Videocipher).  That and prices for digital reception equipment for existing cable headends have dropped over the years since digital transmission became the standard.  And now, TWC, (and it's corporate overlords at NBCUniversal/Comcast), can take transponder 13 and add a compressed digital signal on that one transponder for its own use.

All in all, it was a day that was coming.  The fact that it took more than five years is a miracle.

Offline boyercam

• Bringing The Weather Channel to the UK
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2014, 05:28:33 AM »
If anyone get's hold of a star and wouldn't mind an enormous shipping cost...
But honestly I'm still surprised how long this legacy hardware has lasted. To be fair this day would have come sooner or later, I'm just surprised It finally took so long. Mind you, the BBC only just dumped Teletext last year.

WxStar XL Web Emulator: http://cameronboyer.tk/wsxl/