March 29, 2024, 01:04:07 AM

Author Topic: Question about IntelliStar 2  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Christian1023

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Question about IntelliStar 2
« on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
I'm too addicted to Local on the 8s/IntelliStar that I would like to ask this.. Anyway has anyone like a normal person who doesn't work for TWC or a Cable Company ever gotten a WeatherStar or other unit? Also do you guys think there's a chance that Comcast would give me an IntelliStar that they aren't using? :p

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question about IntelliStar 2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
Yes, certain private individuals, including those who post here, do actually have their own Star units of various generations.

No, a cable company will not give or sell a Star to you.  It's against their contract with The Weather Channel and they would be in very serious trouble for doing so.

That said, even if you acquired one, it's not like you could just plug it in and start getting your own personalized local forecast segments from it.

Offline Christian1023

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Oh, thanks! c:

Offline Joe The Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
I'm too addicted to Local on the 8s/IntelliStar that I would like to ask this.. Anyway has anyone like a normal person who doesn't work for TWC or a Cable Company ever gotten a WeatherStar or other unit? Also do you guys think there's a chance that Comcast would give me an IntelliStar that they aren't using? :p

I head someone found one in a dumpster at an old cable head end once.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:25:47 AM »
To correct Eric, what he said about the contracts is in no way confirmed from everything I have gathered over the years. In fact, cable stations have sold me equipment and Mediacom just gave an employee an old 4000...

As for plugging it in and getting forecasts... the answer is "yes" but "no". Yes for the XL, mine is still chugging along cuing a D or M flavor on the 8s... mostly D. This has taken some reverse engineering and three brains. Older legacy units... answer is still yes but with all of my reverse engineering efforts, I haven't been able to make much progress as the equipment I would need comes with a hefty price tag. Due to that, my II, III, and Junior sit in storage.

Now, would Comcast give an IntelliStar away? Doubtful. I'm sure that TWC requests them back if there is faulty hardware, and given it's still the most heavily used system in the field today there isn't a great chance of these machines sitting in an old equipment closet. Give it five more years when the IS starts to be replaced by the IS 2 Jr (if that happens...).

For those who say it's not possible for an XL to run without AMC 11... check out my youtube. I upload videos quite often. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9XWVJjbCUzImvznI1sHSpw
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:30:04 AM by curtjr4 »

Offline TWCC_VernonMetcalf

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24788
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »
To correct Eric, what he said about the contracts is in no way confirmed from everything I have gathered over the years. In fact, cable stations have sold me equipment and Mediacom just gave an employee an old 4000...

As for plugging it in and getting forecasts... the answer is "yes" but "no". Yes for the XL, mine is still chugging along cuing a D or M flavor on the 8s... mostly D. This has taken some reverse engineering and three brains. Older legacy units... answer is still yes but with all of my reverse engineering efforts, I haven't been able to make much progress as the equipment I would need comes with a hefty price tag. Due to that, my II, III, and Junior sit in storage.

Now, would Comcast give an IntelliStar away? Doubtful. I'm sure that TWC requests them back if there is faulty hardware, and given it's still the most heavily used system in the field today there isn't a great chance of these machines sitting in an old equipment closet. Give it five more years when the IS starts to be replaced by the IS 2 Jr (if that happens...).

For those who say it's not possible for an XL to run without AMC 11... check out my youtube. I upload videos quite often. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9XWVJjbCUzImvznI1sHSpw
If there were to be an Intellistar unit (especially used) available on eBay or through some reseller at some point, I'd laugh. Same thing goes for when another XL unit pops up for sale. :rofl2:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:54:21 AM by TWCC_VernonMetcalf »