May 12, 2024, 06:31:42 AM

Author Topic: IntelliStar 2 Beta Launch  (Read 223348 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: IntelliStar 2 Beta Launch
« Reply #525 on: September 25, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »
What if you were to contribute the additional cost of HD programming and an HD cable box yourself?

Back in the mid-1990s, our cable company introduced its first cable box with an on-screen programming guide.  I wanted one, but my parents didn't want to pay the extra cost of having one in my bedroom, so I paid the extra amount myself.  Later on, when DVRs came in cable boxes, I paid the extra cost of having one in my bedroom.

http://tampahdtv.com/tpahd-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9 and specifically http://tampahdtv.com/tpahd-vb/showthread.php?t=31658
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #526 on: September 25, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
*flips to Channel 836*

"PLEASE have the IS2, PLEASE have the IS2!"

Now, your Local on the 8's...

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

:cry:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #527 on: September 25, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »
*flips to Channel 836*

"PLEASE have the IS2, PLEASE have the IS2!"

Now, your Local on the 8's...

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

:cry:

Well if it's true that Comcast Atlanta viewers have the IS2, the bright side is maybe it won't be long before other Comcast subscribers in other cities/states get it. If I was at my brother-in-law's auto shop I could verify whether Atlanta actually has the IS2 or not. For some reason, I feel like the suburban areas such as Marietta are the ones who actually have it, they were the first ones to get TWCHD.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 25, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
Interesting that they are still launching the IS2 even after switching to "full-screen" LFs at only :28 and :58 for most programming. I guess this shouldn't stop them from continuing to launch an expensive program they developed within the past year, though. :thinking:

Of course they're going to try to get as much money out of it as possible, even if the majority of its products will only be available now for four minutes every hour.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
Interesting that they are still launching the IS2 even after switching to "full-screen" LFs at only :28 and :58 for most programming. I guess this shouldn't stop them from continuing to launch an expensive program they developed within the past year, though. :thinking:

Of course they're going to try to get as much money out of it as possible, even if the majority of its products will only be available now for four minutes every hour.

Still such a waste on a hard worked on computer local forecasting system, it's too bad people's attention spans are so short that the LFs had to be reduced to an L Bar, but I can understand because our technology is so well advanced that most folks are not going to want to sit and watch a 90 sec. or 2 min forecast they can look up online or get on their phone or iPads.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #530 on: September 25, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
They're starting to install the IS2's faster so viewers won't complain they don't have an HD Localized L-Bar  :bleh:

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 25, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »
Still such a waste on a hard worked on computer local forecasting system, it's too bad people's attention spans are so short that the LFs had to be reduced to an L Bar, but I can understand because our technology is so well advanced that most folks are not going to want to sit and watch a 90 sec. or 2 min forecast they can look up online or get on their phone or iPads.

I don't think it's because of short attention spans.  I think it's because TWC wants to make more money with commercials, and, most importantly also to attract an audience that's not necessarily interested in what the UV forecast is or when the next high tide will be.

We already know that weather forecasting is becoming less and less important at TWC.  It is changing itself into a reality-themed network.  We know that, and there's nothing that we can do about that.  Local forecasts just do not fit into TWC's new image of itself.

You're also right that it's a waste of the Intellistar, and it's also because there are so many other sources for real-time weather information that just did not exist back in 1982, or 1992, or even 2002.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 25, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
They're starting to install the IS2's faster so viewers won't complain they don't have an HD Localized L-Bar  :bleh:

That makes perfect sense.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #533 on: September 25, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Seems to be installed since Tuesday

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 25, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
Seems to be installed since Tuesday

Looks like I was right about the suburbs around Atlanta having it...

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #535 on: September 25, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »

I don't think it's because of short attention spans.  I think it's because TWC wants to make more money with commercials, and, most importantly also to attract an audience that's not necessarily interested in what the UV forecast is or when the next high tide will be.

We already know that weather forecasting is becoming less and less important at TWC.  It is changing itself into a reality-themed network.  We know that, and there's nothing that we can do about that.  Local forecasts just do not fit into TWC's new image of itself.

You're also right that it's a waste of the Intellistar, and it's also because there are so many other sources for real-time weather information that just did not exist back in 1982, or 1992, or even 2002.
That's what I am thinking. The IS2 would be a waste IMO if it can only be seen twice an hour. How many people are honestly going to sit around and wait for 30 minutes to see their LF presented with the new hardware? Not me.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 26, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
I brought up to my mom about switching our cable boxes to HD ones again because it is a waste to have a SD one for a HDTV and this time around she said, "Yeah, sure." She claimed she told me to remind her to call back when I asked her over a month ago, but I don't remember her saying anything of the sort.  :blink: Well anyway, once we have those HD cable boxes (maybe by the end of the week or this weekend) I'll check TWCHD and see if we do have the IS2 here. If we do, I'll try to get a clip of it and post it here.  :thumbsup:

NintenGamers Nation

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 27, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »
I can't recall if this has been asked before, but does the IS2 display a record high/low screen?

NintenGamers Nation

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #538 on: September 27, 2011, 02:37:14 PM »
I can't recall if this has been asked before, but does the IS2 display a record high/low screen?
I don't think so. I've never seen it on my IS2 nor any other.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #539 on: September 27, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
It does, but it's quite rare. It's called Climate Data. It has the average and record highs/lows, not to mention pixie dust. :P
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper