April 27, 2024, 04:37:01 AM

Author Topic: Hurricane Jova  (Read 1849 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Hurricane Jova
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned sooner, but Major Hurricane Jova (in the eastern Pacific) is headed toward Mexico. I'm not sure if the current projected path may change to show Jova only brushing the west coast of Mexico or not. I wonder if any of the remnants may bring more wet weather to Texas. :thinking:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:11:10 PM by WeatherWitness »

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Hurricane Jova
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
Okay, I know it's a Pacific storm, but I think it's at least worth mentioning Hurricane Jova, which is expected to make landfall in Mexico within the next 48 hours. Although it won't impact the United States directly, may supply some moisture for the Four Corners region and possibly the Southern Plains.
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
Andy and Mac, I've merged your two posts on Jova here into one topic.  Jova is a Category 3 hurricane with winds of 125 mph.  If it's going to parallel the coast slightly before making landfall, this situation could turn really ugly for western Mexico.  Watches and warnings are already in effect.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:52:26 AM »
Thank you, Patrick. :) In regards to the track of Jova, what is it about this time of year that tracks hurricanes from west to east (affecting the US and Mexican west coasts) as opposed to from east to west (heading out toward Hawaii) in the eastern Pacific?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »
First, the track of Jova is quite rare as older forecasters cannot recall a hurricane in the Eastern Pacific moving so far westward and suddenly turning eastward to this degree.  We're heading towards winter, so the jet streams are shifting southward on average as we speak.  Thus, the westerly flow in the mid-latitudes is starting to encroach upon the easterly flow of the tropics, and we're seeing the effects now.