April 28, 2024, 02:29:40 AM

Author Topic: Change in Severe Weather Criteria  (Read 1507 times)

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
Change in Severe Weather Criteria
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
The Central region of the NWS is proposing chainging the severe threshold for hail from 3/4" to 1", and issuing significant weather alerts for hail between 3/4" and 1".  I am for this idea because studies have shown that 3/4" hail does not really cause a lot of damage, and it would hopefully reduce the number of false alarms and the "cry wolf" effects that come from these. 

However, I wish that if this were to happen, it would be an all or none thing, either everyone does this or no one, not just a region, because now how do you verify a severe thunderstorm warning?  If Texas were to get a storm with 3/4" hail and a warning, it verifies, but if Nebraska were to get between 3/4" and 1" hail and a warning, the warning does not verify.  Thoughts?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Change in Severe Weather Criteria
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »
If it works, don't change it.  B) 3/4in hail counts as severe in my opinion and I am sure it causes damage to vehicles.

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »
I would totally agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  The thing is, around here, there are already so many false alarm warnings that people never take them seriously, the idea is to reduce the number of warnings that are put out. 

However, I agree that if 3/4 inch hail is very dense and/or windblown, it could cause some damage.  Also, it is not something fun to drive in, and I have a feeling the media (radio) would basically ignore "severe weather alerts" and you wouldn't know it until you were driving in it.  There are several reasons this is quite controversial.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:24:54 PM »
I would take 3/4in hail coming out of the sky seriously haha!
 :bleh: