May 01, 2024, 09:16:46 PM

Author Topic: XP Movie Maker Problems  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
XP Movie Maker Problems
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »
I have two problems with the XP version of Movie Maker:

1) It constantly freezes when I am trimming my clips, often for several minutes. This doesn't happen on my laptop with Vista.

2) It takes forever to open video files, especially large ones. The Vista version opens the files within five seconds regardless of the size.

Any help on this is appreciated

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
Re: XP Movie Maker Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
This is the case when you edit and make too many videos at once. (I've been through it before)  MM's constant freezing is one reason why I don't make/upload as many videos as I used to. You can try clearing the history for MM. I use XP MM and this often clears up the issue. MM has too many files stored and too much memory used up from those files you used to edit in MM which is why it's lagging.

Go to Collections<Click on the files<hit delete on the key.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »
I have problems with WMM 2.6 (XP's MM on Vista/7). Sometimes, it will take 2 minutes to produce a 10 MB clip (one 2-min LF), and other times it will take 15 minutes to do the same. :wacko:

And on my XP, it tends to slow my computer down while I process the video. On my Vista, it doesn't. :blink:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »
I have problems with WMM 2.6 (XP's MM on Vista/7). Sometimes, it will take 2 minutes to produce a 10 MB clip (one 2-min LF), and other times it will take 15 minutes to do the same. :wacko:

That's because you don't have enough hard drive space in the folder where you store your videos.

wxntrafficfan

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

And on my XP, it tends to slow my computer down while I process the video. On my Vista, it doesn't. :blink:
Yeah, it varies like that for me too, and I have plenty of HD space (I purchased a new 1.5 TB HD for all 2009 and future videos). I think the difference between how Movie Maker works on Vista as opposed to XP is that on Vista, WMM just links to the files, and thus makes copies of them when you make a movie with an original file. This is my guess as to why it only takes a few seconds to see the files in WMM on Vista regardless of the size.