June 07, 2024, 01:05:51 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789074 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #8460 on: April 28, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
My friend had to dissect a dog today.  :blink:
I know for sure that I will not sign up for Biology as dissecting does disgust me. I am better with Astronomy.

Dogs??

Yes, Molly. Dogs. Not cats, not frogs, not squids. Dogs.  :noexpression:

And exactly how big was this dog??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #8461 on: April 28, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »
I know for sure that I will not sign up for Biology as dissecting does disgust me. I am better with Astronomy.

Dogs??

And exactly how big was this dog??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

It was a black small border collie according to my friend. I have no idea why her class would do that such a thing. My brain exploded when she actually did that. She took a pic of the dissection but I know for sure I will NOT see it or show it to you on here (verrrrrry graphic). She even thought it was "fun".  <_< :foolish: :sick:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Rico

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 304
  • SD Channel #: 304
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #8462 on: April 28, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »

Dogs??

In College-level Advanced Biology, we had to dissect a pig. I will never eat another piece of pickled pigs feet a day in my life again.

I can't wait until 10:00a tomorrow!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:21:18 PM by rico »
When will you ever learn? -Judge Mathis

Join my TWCNow Page!!!
Child boo.

Few things are in place...

*My name is not Lamarr, or Lmarr. My name is Rico Jose Maldonado-Winchester. *If I am on thin ice, or on very thin ice, the ice should have broke by now. I am 275lbs and 6'6" tall. * I am here for keeping up appearances. I am not here for none of this bologna. Bologna is WeatherSCAN XL which is a conficker virus specially made to act as a weather e-instrument. Or one of them damn toolbars. They are a waste of time and baud. * Recurring posts that are pedant

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #8463 on: April 29, 2009, 12:27:05 AM »
Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 is out....

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) ID:20090423204732

I'm still :blink: ing at the .NET CLR, which is an IE thing...

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #8464 on: April 29, 2009, 12:44:57 AM »
I am so tired of hearing about the Swine Flu!
It has become such a big deal that TWC is now having a whole segment on it and an interview with Tom Skinner from the CDC?!?!?  :blink: :blink: :wacko:
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: April 29, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »
It has become such a big deal that TWC is now having a whole segment on it and an interview with Tom Skinner from the CDC?!?!?  :blink: :blink: :wacko:

I made up a club. it's called "For those who are so freakin tired of hearing the swine flu"! I am WAY annoyed than most of you guys are.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #8466 on: April 29, 2009, 01:13:07 AM »

I made up a club. it's called "For those who are so freakin tired of hearing the swine flu"! I am WAY annoyed than most of you guys are.
Sign me up

Offline Rico

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 304
  • SD Channel #: 304
« Reply #8467 on: April 29, 2009, 01:38:44 AM »
They ran out of the vaccine here in Rensselaer Springs. I need one, so I am going down to Charlotte to get one.
When will you ever learn? -Judge Mathis

Join my TWCNow Page!!!
Child boo.

Few things are in place...

*My name is not Lamarr, or Lmarr. My name is Rico Jose Maldonado-Winchester. *If I am on thin ice, or on very thin ice, the ice should have broke by now. I am 275lbs and 6'6" tall. * I am here for keeping up appearances. I am not here for none of this bologna. Bologna is WeatherSCAN XL which is a conficker virus specially made to act as a weather e-instrument. Or one of them damn toolbars. They are a waste of time and baud. * Recurring posts that are pedant

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: April 29, 2009, 01:53:21 AM »

Sign me up

I just created a facebook group on that.  :bleh:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: April 29, 2009, 06:27:16 AM »
They're overreacting it at school too when there aren't even any known cases of it here yet.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #8470 on: April 29, 2009, 07:36:38 AM »
Here's my opinion about the swine flu. 

The media is what is worrying most people, like always.  But, it's their job to do so (for lack of a batter word) (i know that sounds bad, but it is, basically).  I really don't think they are going over-the-top just yet.  But each time they report on it (at least the local news), I always hear something different, and they don't repeat the same thing, which is good.  It is a cause for concern though, as it is deadly.  The first US death has been reported.  A 2 year old in TX died. 

I am most definitely NOT getting tired of it, in fact, I think it is really interesting to follow.  I like learning about it, for some reason.  I really am not THAT concerned in getting it, but I am just being cautious, but not taking dramatic steps.  Definitely washing my hands more often, and basic stuff you should do.

Sorry to say, but you're going to end up with sleeping if you are already tired of hearing about swine flu, it's only the beginning. (:P-- lame joke). 

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8471 on: April 29, 2009, 07:52:20 AM »

Sign me up
Me too!  :biggrin:

They're overreacting it at school too when there aren't even any known cases of it here yet.
Apparently, there are two possible cases of it here in the Wolverine State, one in Livingston County, which is the county right next to Ingham County (mine), and there is another just west of Grand Rapids along the lakeshore in Ottawa County.

According to the Home Page of my school district:
Swine Flu Information

Swine influenza is a virus infection that can cause a wide range of symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.  Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting.  Like seasonal flu, swine flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe. Please be advised that no case of swine flu has been identified in the school district.  To date, the illness rate in the district is normal to below normal.

In an effort to be pro-active regarding information about the Swine Flu, Haslett school officials attended a meeting at the Ingham County Health Department on April 27.  The Health Department has requested that we assist them in tracking the flu illness and help prevent the possible spread of such illness.  We will be reporting our absences to the ICHD, as requested, on a daily basis. 

We have also reminded our staff and students to continue the following personal hygiene practices:  cover mouths when coughing and sneezing, wash hands often, use gel sanitizers and stay home if you exhibit any of the symptoms. 

We are in touch daily with the ICHD and will update the information on our web site as new information becomes available.

So, everyone is freaking out about it!  :club:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:55:03 AM by socool375 »
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
« Reply #8472 on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »
I believe there is some hype to the media.  My example, the media keep putting in headlines that a 22-month old boy is the first death IN the United States.  Although it doesn't state it, the headlines are worded as if you think the boy is from Texas, he is from Mexico, and was being treated in the United States.  There have been no deaths of US citizens yet.

I also believe this strain is not any worse than other flu strains, based on how many people die each year from the flu.  The main problem is that there is no defense against this strain if you have been vaccinated.  Rico, don't waste your time going to get vaccinated if you are only doing it for swine flu, it hasn't been developed.

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
« Reply #8473 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to add something.

I'm not trying to say that the boy being from Mexico is less significant, it's just as unfortunate either way.  So far, every case in the US has been mild.  This may be because IN GENERAL people in the United States live in a cleaner environment with better access to health care, which may lead to us having better immune systems.  We don't know this, but it is possible.  I'm not saying there won't be any deaths here, the epedemic may just not be as severe here as in Mexico.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8474 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to add something.

I'm not trying to say that the boy being from Mexico is less significant, it's just as unfortunate either way.  So far, every case in the US has been mild.  This may be because IN GENERAL people in the United States live in a cleaner environment with better access to health care, which may lead to us having better immune systems.  We don't know this, but it is possible.  I'm not saying there won't be any deaths here, the epedemic may just not be as severe here as in Mexico.
That is actually true. This is one of those situations where it is difficult not to go either way. Most people are either completely panicked or completely pretentious, in that they are too cocky that they will not contract the virus.

Well, one of the probable cases in Michigan has been confirmed.......  :blink:
From Lansing's NBC Station, WILX:
Michigan Confirms 1st Case of Swine Flu
LANSING - Officials with the State of Michigan Joint Information Center say a Livingston County woman does have swine flu. The Centers for Disease Control confirmed Michigan's first case of the swine flu Wednesday. No other cases have been confirmed at this time, although the state and the C.D.C. are testing samples from other patients described as "probable cases."

Livingston County health officials announced on Monday that the 34-year old Livingston County woman was a probable case. She had recently visited San Antonio Texas, where she had been in the vicinity of pigs at a petting farm.
Livingston County is the county right next to the one I live in, Ingham County
We are still waiting on another possible case in Ottawa county, along the lakeshore just west of Grand Rapids. There may be other cases as well, we are waiting to find out as test results take 24-48 hours to process.
TWC in...