June 06, 2024, 11:11:09 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788942 times)

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #7050 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »
Good morning all. :) Well, my power just kicked back on. The remnants of Fay started heading back east (after missing us this weekend when it was heading west) last night towards us, and this morning, the winds from the system knocked out our power at about 5:15 AM CT this morning. Power was restored around 6:42 AM CT. No word right now on school cancellations in the area, but most likely cancellations WILL happen, seeing how long the power was out, the traffic signals are out/flashing red or yellow. That, along with the winds that are still blowing and gusting out there will make conditions unsafe for the school buses to be on the road. In any case, we'll be waiting for official word from the district. :yes:
I can't imagine them still having school in those kinds of conditions. However we've gotten over a foot of snow in less than a few hours, and there was zero question of cancelling.
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #7051 on: August 25, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »
Good morning all. :) Well, my power just kicked back on. The remnants of Fay started heading back east (after missing us this weekend when it was heading west) last night towards us, and this morning, the winds from the system knocked out our power at about 5:15 AM CT this morning. Power was restored around 6:42 AM CT. No word right now on school cancellations in the area, but most likely cancellations WILL happen, seeing how long the power was out, the traffic signals are out/flashing red or yellow. That, along with the winds that are still blowing and gusting out there will make conditions unsafe for the school buses to be on the road. In any case, we'll be waiting for official word from the district. :yes:
I can't imagine them still having school in those kinds of conditions. However we've gotten over a foot of snow in less than a few hours, and there was zero question of cancelling.

Yeah 'cause God knows those are such awful conditions.  :rolleyes:

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: August 25, 2008, 08:56:25 AM »
Yup, they say Chicago winters are some of the worst. :yes:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: August 25, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »

No, I meant the conditions Stephen is experiencing. He said power is back on, and he's experiencing some wind. Doesn't sound bad enough (to me at least) to cancel school. I don't think it would cancel school here.  :biggrin:

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: August 25, 2008, 09:22:33 AM »

No, I meant the conditions Stephen is experiencing. He said power is back on, and he's experiencing some wind. Doesn't sound bad enough (to me at least) to cancel school. I don't think it would cancel school here.  :biggrin:
But it IS a hurricane/tropical storm/whatever. That changes things. :yes:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: August 25, 2008, 09:39:15 AM »

Its none of the above. Its nothing more than a subtropical storm. Its been over land for days. Its long lost its tropical characteristics.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #7056 on: August 25, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »

Its none of the above. Its nothing more than a subtropical storm. Its been over land for days. Its long lost its tropical characteristics.
But my God it's FAY!  Overhype express!  We get Fay remanats here, and they'll send reporters out to cover it.  Ridiculous.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: August 25, 2008, 10:30:23 AM »

But my God it's FAY!  Overhype express!  We get Fay remanats here, and they'll send reporters out to cover it.  Ridiculous.

Yeah I agree. They've been overhyping this since it formed.  :rolleyes:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #7058 on: August 25, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
You go to school? I thought you were 25 years old. :huh:

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #7059 on: August 25, 2008, 11:41:02 AM »
Are you serious? You mean you've never heard Stephen mention that he goes to school before?  :blink:
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #7060 on: August 25, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »
Not sure where you got that from, Victor. :wacko:

Don't hold your breath Stephen. If the power's back on and all there is is some wind, I'd be getting ready for school.  :D
Too late, I went back to bed. :P School didn't get cancelled, but oh well.

And I'll agree it has been overhyped. However, with the carzy paths that this system has taken (and the fact that it stalled over central Florida and caused major flooding), you still had to be prepared in case that happened again. Fortunately though, it didn't happen. :)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: August 25, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
No, he's the same age as me IIRC.

Too late, I went back to bed. :P School didn't get cancelled, but oh well
*calls the police for cutting school*

J/K :P

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: August 25, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »
I have a hunch he's trying to cover up his real age. I had a post here and it's mysteriously disappeared. :fear: :blushing:

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #7063 on: August 25, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »
I have a hunch he's trying to cover up his real age. I had a post here and it's mysteriously disappeared. :fear: :blushing:
That's not my real age, Gil. ;) You pulled that B.S with Dan before, and you're not gonna do that here. :no:

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: August 25, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
That's not my real age, Gil. ;) You pulled that B.S with Dan before, and you're not gonna do that here. :no:
You're forgetting one important thing. You've actually told me before. ;)