June 06, 2024, 02:05:30 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787947 times)

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #6855 on: August 08, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
His headend could of mixed up feeds with a nearby headend.

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #6856 on: August 08, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
His headend could of mixed up feeds with a nearby headend.
They were trying to connect to another headends feed because the XL was having problems, but they couldn't connect, so the IS headend restarted the IS (which was why we heard IS narration and those beeps). They got the XL fixed before they could connect to the other feed, and then they restored the feed + the XL. :yes: (According to CriminalCola, he called his headend)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #6857 on: August 08, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »
OMG, I don't want see an INtellistar in his city!

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #6858 on: August 08, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »
Uh, we're not.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: August 08, 2008, 07:15:07 PM »
That other headend must of been far away if the city was reporting 90 something degrees. Quincy was only 79° at the time of the outage.

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: August 08, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
That other headend must of been far away if the city was reporting 90 something degrees.
Remember, the IS was rebooting at the time. That probably wasn't the actual temperature being reported. ;)

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6861 on: August 08, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
That other headend must of been far away if the city was reporting 90 something degrees.
Remember, the IS was rebooting at the time. That probably wasn't the actual temperature being reported. ;)
The IS doesnt beep like that on a simple reboot, I've heard it beep like that on first boot up only.

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: August 08, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
The IS doesnt beep like that on a simple reboot, I've heard it beep like that on first boot up only.
It was a reboot, at least according to his cable company. :yes:

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6863 on: August 08, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
It was a reboot, at least according to his cable company. :yes:
Follow a context, the XL rebooted, but we were hearing an IS narration, followed by the beeps.

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: August 08, 2008, 09:10:06 PM »
Follow a context, the XL rebooted, but we were hearing an IS narration, followed by the beeps.
No, I clearly remember CriminalCola saying that the IS was rebooted, not the XL. :yes:

Offline Concentric Eyewall

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6865 on: August 08, 2008, 10:09:31 PM »
so um yeah...today my restaurant was almost robbed, not once, but twice....

and guess who saw AND spoke to both suspects...I DID.

I QUIT.

more tomorrow, i'm about to go crash right now.
That really sucks!  are you really quitting?

well depends...i was NOT scheduled to close by myself tonight...so here is what happened...

around 10pm i headed outside to bring in the patio chairs, one lady, who was by herself at a table, was still eating her meal...so i skipped her table and moved on...when I was about to finish with the last two tables, i heard some guy yell into an alley, then he started walking down the sidewalk toward my work - thats when i grew suspicious, but didn't think it would actually happen, well he came up to me and asked for the time -  i gave it to him - 10pm, he continued walking along and he looked back, and i was looking at him, so i finished with the chairs and he was acting suspiciously in front of our restaurant, again i didn't expect he'd do anything there, well a couple of minutes later - LeCour our shift leader comes running in asking for the phone to call police and that some ladies purse had been stolen by that same guy who asked the time (he asked her the time after i had told him 10pm - i guess he waited for me to go in), we then acted and locked all doors, stayed with the lady until we could get the quarry security to arrive, and for the police as well, it was a good 45 minutes until the police got there, security however was there the whole time.

so the cop finally arrives and the lady, i could only assume, did a police report - she then left at around 10:50pm - giving me the chance to finish closing up outside, by now i wanted to get the hell out of there. lol.

so i closed up outside, came in and locked the doors and continued to close in the FOH (front of the house)

it was about 11:30pm now and the 2 cooks were still there, about had just about finished closing the BOH (back of the house) [i was the only cashier working that night, again i wasn't suppose to be] so they left, i was just about done with all my stations and just needed to take out the trash, so i roll out the trash can and get all the trashbags together threw them in the trashcan and rolled it out through the front, because that is were our dumpster is located - well this guy comes out of no where (not the same person as before) with no shirt on, which was already suspicious in my book, my manager saw and pretty much ran out...he started asking me for water, i didn't say anything - i tried to but nothing came out, i went around the guy and headed inside - and grabbed the phone - he then started flipping out (yelling, etc), so my manager whistled for security, but hahaha they didn't come - he closed the door and locked it.

thing is that we couldn't risk letting him in, so we didn't give him water, or anything...i mean if an incident had just happened not even an hour ago, would you let some guy that came out of a dark alley get some water?

Damn, that's crazy!  WTF, why did the police take soo long to come?  Talk about emergency response :rolleyes:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: August 08, 2008, 10:52:39 PM »
so um yeah...today my restaurant was almost robbed, not once, but twice....

and guess who saw AND spoke to both suspects...I DID.

I QUIT.

more tomorrow, i'm about to go crash right now.
That really sucks!  are you really quitting?

well depends...i was NOT scheduled to close by myself tonight...so here is what happened...

around 10pm i headed outside to bring in the patio chairs, one lady, who was by herself at a table, was still eating her meal...so i skipped her table and moved on...when I was about to finish with the last two tables, i heard some guy yell into an alley, then he started walking down the sidewalk toward my work - thats when i grew suspicious, but didn't think it would actually happen, well he came up to me and asked for the time -  i gave it to him - 10pm, he continued walking along and he looked back, and i was looking at him, so i finished with the chairs and he was acting suspiciously in front of our restaurant, again i didn't expect he'd do anything there, well a couple of minutes later - LeCour our shift leader comes running in asking for the phone to call police and that some ladies purse had been stolen by that same guy who asked the time (he asked her the time after i had told him 10pm - i guess he waited for me to go in), we then acted and locked all doors, stayed with the lady until we could get the quarry security to arrive, and for the police as well, it was a good 45 minutes until the police got there, security however was there the whole time.

so the cop finally arrives and the lady, i could only assume, did a police report - she then left at around 10:50pm - giving me the chance to finish closing up outside, by now i wanted to get the hell out of there. lol.

so i closed up outside, came in and locked the doors and continued to close in the FOH (front of the house)

it was about 11:30pm now and the 2 cooks were still there, about had just about finished closing the BOH (back of the house) [i was the only cashier working that night, again i wasn't suppose to be] so they left, i was just about done with all my stations and just needed to take out the trash, so i roll out the trash can and get all the trashbags together threw them in the trashcan and rolled it out through the front, because that is were our dumpster is located - well this guy comes out of no where (not the same person as before) with no shirt on, which was already suspicious in my book, my manager saw and pretty much ran out...he started asking me for water, i didn't say anything - i tried to but nothing came out, i went around the guy and headed inside - and grabbed the phone - he then started flipping out (yelling, etc), so my manager whistled for security, but hahaha they didn't come - he closed the door and locked it.

thing is that we couldn't risk letting him in, so we didn't give him water, or anything...i mean if an incident had just happened not even an hour ago, would you let some guy that came out of a dark alley get some water?

Damn, that's crazy!  WTF, why did the police take soo long to come?  Talk about emergency response :rolleyes:

They probably had to finish their coffee and donuts.  :P

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: August 09, 2008, 12:52:38 AM »
Uhh what? I'm gone for a day, and 3 pages of this thread. Get lives, people.

I toured the NSSL/SPC/NOAA in Norman, OK today! It's an awesome building. Every floor (7) has a big LCD TV mounted on the wall, with TWC constantly on.

I took pics, but I think my camera is broked. :(
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: August 09, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
That Gil just earned you a warning. Lose the 'tude. Now.  :happy:

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #6869 on: August 09, 2008, 02:03:39 AM »

hell if i know...we called twice...and all i was giving was "there will be a unit there soon"...

hahaha. i forgot to mention a really stupid part on the SAPD's part...ok so about 30 minutes after the incident we saw a cop in the quarry - we thought he was lost...the quarry security guard hopped into his truck and took off after the police officer's car...apparently that officer didn't get the call about that thief, so we wanted longer and finally a cop finally showed.

seesh talk about the lack of communication.