June 06, 2024, 03:32:52 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788137 times)

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #1410 on: July 21, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
IMHO, you've got bigger problems than mistakenly using a filter on your modem. You need to get a technician out there to check every inch of line between your house and the phone pole. Does anyone else in your neighborhood have similar problems?
My mom called the ISP and they're going to send out a technician here tomorrow. :yes:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #1411 on: July 21, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »
Excellent! I'll be interested in hearing what they find. :yes:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 21, 2007, 11:06:32 PM »
It is funny Gil. You just have to learn how to laugh at jokes that are on you instead of taking them so seriously.  8)
I need to learn to do that too.

G2003

« Reply #1413 on: July 21, 2007, 11:32:39 PM »
I wish my house had a phone pole connected to it. It would be kind of interesting to see how life would be different if it had that. Had i grown up in a house with above ground utilities, i could've been an entirely different person. Or dead. :)

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 21, 2007, 11:34:16 PM »
My dad's house has above ground electrical/telephone wires connected to it.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 21, 2007, 11:34:41 PM »
Its not that different. The only difference is everything is above ground instead of underground.  :D

G2003

« Reply #1416 on: July 21, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »
Its not that different. The only difference is everything is above ground instead of underground.  :D
Well knowing me, I would've probably electrocuted myself years ago :P. Kinda interesting though. I guess having it above ground
would look kinda shitty, wires going over your yard. Hmmm. Next house I live in, i want above ground utilities just to see what its like :yes:

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38:44 PM »
My house has above ground wiring. The thing about above ground wiring is it's a lot easier to replace if they get damaged, because you don't have to have your yard torn to pieces to get them fixed. :yes:

G2003

« Reply #1418 on: July 21, 2007, 11:41:03 PM »
My house has above ground wiring. The thing about above ground wiring is it's a lot easier to replace if they get damaged, because you don't have to have your yard torn to pieces to get them fixed. :yes:
true, but underground utilitize are MUCH less prone to outages, and problems.

Plus, I heard living with those above ground ones are bad for you. somethin g with the electromagnetic pulse or something can really mess you up over
time. Or maybve its just the big ones. I dubbo

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 21, 2007, 11:42:02 PM »
What I hate about above ground electricity is when trees touch the wire, they get trimmed (at least here), meaning less and less oxygen in the air. Does the mayor of this town care about the environment?

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 21, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
Exactly right Stephen.

Gil, underground wires have their own problems, so, no, their not less prone to problems. They just have differenet ones. And no, above ground wires are not dangerous. They say taht the big transmission towers are what's dangerous.

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 21, 2007, 11:43:19 PM »
true, but underground utilitize are MUCH less prone to outages, and problems.

Plus, I heard living with those above ground ones are bad for you. somethin g with the electromagnetic pulse or something can really mess you up over
time. Or maybve its just the big ones. I dubbo
I've been living with above ground wires all my life and it hasn't "messed" me up.

What I hate about above ground electricity is when trees touch the wire, they get trimmed (at least here), meaning less and less oxygen in the air. Does the mayor of this town care about the environment?
That's really a minor difference, so you don't need to really worry about that. :no:

G2003

« Reply #1422 on: July 21, 2007, 11:43:48 PM »
Exactly right Stephen.

Gil, underground wires have their own problems, so, no, their not less prone to problems. They just have differenet ones. And no, above ground wires are not dangerous. They say taht the big transmission towers are what's dangerous.
Well the power, specifically, is less prone to outages, since there is pretty much nothing at all that can disturb it.

Oh yeah, I think i was thinking of the big transmission lines. I saw lots of those today :yes:

G2003

« Reply #1423 on: July 21, 2007, 11:44:54 PM »
They do that a lot. They do that everywhere, really. its for safety. I do know that more and more places are dismantling the above grouns wires and putting them underground.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 21, 2007, 11:45:55 PM »
Exactly right Stephen.

Well the power, specifically, is less prone to outages, since there is pretty much nothing at all that can disturb it.

Oh yeah, I think i was thinking of the big transmission lines. I saw lots of those today :yes:

Again, not true. As I said, underground wiring has its own set of problems.

Mike, don't know if you realize this, but for each branch you cut off of a tree, it will grow several more. There will never be a depletion of oxygen.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:48:31 PM by lfmusiclover »