June 06, 2024, 01:12:23 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787873 times)

G2003

Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #885 on: July 10, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »
Yah, my parents yell at me and hate it when i swear, yet they are always swearing at eachother. My parents
were fighting the other day, and every single sentence involved at least 1 curse word. I had to leave the house.

:rolleyes:
Wow Gil, you certainly have some really GOOD parents. <_<
Oh yes, they've certainly set a good example, haven't they?  :rolleyes:
Yep, its funny cause none of it ever happened when my brother was growing up. Just me :D
I guess your special.  :D
Thats what both my parents and my psychiatrist say!  :) :yes:

G2003

« Reply #886 on: July 10, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
I got my computer back from the HP Raleigh Repair center yesterday, but I wasnt home to sign for it, so we had to go to the FedEx
office to get it, in pouring rain :D

For all i go through with HP tech support, they sure come through. :)

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #887 on: July 10, 2007, 11:54:02 AM »
Glad everything worked out well for you Gil!  8)

On another note, we've now exceeded 2500 posts!  :dance:

G2003

« Reply #888 on: July 10, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »
Glad everything worked out well for you Gil!  8)

On another note, we've now exceeded 2500 posts!  :dance:
So am I. :) Guess what?!!? I dranl 2 cups of coffee today! I think it made me hyper!! I CANT STOP TALKING!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

G2003

« Reply #889 on: July 10, 2007, 12:21:55 PM »
My cat has been having sneezing fits lately, where  she sneezes for like 3 minutes really weird. Kinda funny thouh.

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #890 on: July 10, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
Yah, my parents yell at me and hate it when i swear, yet they are always swearing at eachother. My parents
were fighting the other day, and every single sentence involved at least 1 curse word. I had to leave the house.

What's wrong with swearing?  They're no different than saying darn or butt?  Swears are just what man have created them to be, but in reality, they're no different than non-swears.

G2003

« Reply #891 on: July 10, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »

What's wrong with swearing?  They're no different than saying darn or butt?  Swears are just what man have created them to be, but in reality, they're no different than non-swears.
Your right.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 10, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »
I disagree. Swearing makes you sound filthy. And girls don't like it either (unless they are filthballs too). And it also shows that you have no compassion or regard for other people if your willing to curse anywhere, anytime (as some of you seem to be). Bottom line: its all a matter of upbringing. If you weren't brought up to recognize these things, then your going to disagree with me exactly one nanosecond after this post goes up.

G2003

« Reply #893 on: July 10, 2007, 01:15:43 PM »
Ok i agree with both of you. pretty much everyone swears, but there is a time, a place, and the right people to do it.
Everyone knows I swear (obviously :P ), but depending on time, place, people, and context, it can make you look pretty
bad. For example, I wouldn't go out to the store and just start cursing. people would think im not a good person. However,
in the privacy of your own home, or with your friends, its an entirely different story.

Long story short...I dont know...

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 10, 2007, 02:23:23 PM »
Ok i agree with both of you. pretty much everyone swears, but there is a time, a place, and the right people to do it.
Everyone knows I swear (obviously :P ), but depending on time, place, people, and context, it can make you look pretty
bad. For example, I wouldn't go out to the store and just start cursing. people would think im not a good person. However,
in the privacy of your own home, or with your friends, its an entirely different story.

I don't even do it in front of friends or family. You know why? I care about them too much to subject them to that filth. I'm not saying I don't cuss, but I don't do it often, and I try not to make a habit of it.

G2003

« Reply #895 on: July 10, 2007, 03:18:52 PM »

I don't even do it in front of friends or family. You know why? I care about them too much to subject them to that filth. I'm not saying I don't cuss, but I don't do it often, and I try not to make a habit of it.
Thats a good thing :)

G2003

« Reply #896 on: July 10, 2007, 03:58:21 PM »
I went to the library today :)

Offline Ericster88

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: WOW!
« Reply #897 on: July 10, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »

Yeah, I never cuss in front of friends or family either, although sometimes my friends would make fun of me because they've never heard me swear before.  I just don't sound right when I swear.

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #898 on: July 10, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »
But noone's answering my question.  Why are the seven swears considered filthy?  Why isn't fart and butt and darn considered swears?

In 1900, saying chicken thigh and breast was considered filthy.  It's all relative, and noone ever thinks it through, they just blindly follow everyone else who says those words are bad.  Context is more important than just the words themselves.  Ask any linguist that.  Is there a difference between saying a-hole and the actual word?  Nope, if you looked at the context instead of the actual word.

And BTW, one who says you have a not so good upbringing because they swear is pretty judgemental themselves, which IMO is far worse than a sound of out of someones mouth.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:42:18 PM by Concentric Eyewall »

G2003

« Reply #899 on: July 10, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »
Man, the Simpsons Movie looks TERRIBLE!