June 06, 2024, 01:41:31 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787905 times)

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14955 on: September 11, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »
Hard to believe that today is the anniversary of 9/11.  :(  It was 12 years ago that two hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center in NYC, killing 3000 people.  :cry:  I was in the seventh grade at the time and I remember watching the coverage on TV at home and at school, I almost cried when I saw the Twin Towers collapse to the ground. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families whose loved ones were killed on that tragic day.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14956 on: September 11, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
I was literally waking up when it all happened 12 years ago and thought I was in a bad dream.  I hope our country remembers to work together better in the future, because that event should serve as a reminder of why we need to stay united despite how things go in life.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14957 on: September 15, 2013, 12:31:30 AM »
My three-week vacation from work is coming to a close as I'm scheduled to go back to work on Monday, and I'm not ready to do so.  :(  Seems like it was only yesterday when I was driving on over to my folks' house on the other side of the state. Good thing I came back home just in time because now my 11-year-old car won't start at all!  :no:  Doesn't really matter though. I work from home and I can pretty much walk anywhere that I need to go to in my small town until my car gets repaired at some point.  :itsok:

EDIT: Turned out that my car needed a new battery. So I was able to get a neighbor of mine to jump start my car so I could take it to a local NAPA Auto Parts store where I got a new battery installed.  :happy:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:22:56 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14958 on: September 16, 2013, 12:08:22 AM »
I'm glad to hear that it was just a simple fix, Jim. :)  I would consider thinking about either a new or a decent used car in the near future when you can afford it as 11 years is getting pretty old for something more serious that could break down.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14959 on: September 18, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
I'm back!  B)  I was busy and didn't have much time to go online or watch TWC, but my schedule's cleared up.  Cold weather will show up soon, too (I hope  :bleh: ).

I would consider thinking about either a new or a decent used car in the near future when you can afford it as 11 years is getting pretty old for something more serious that could break down.

I used to be a fan of paying off cars and avoiding car payments at all costs, but I must agree with this now.  Although I've never hung onto a car for that long, it seems like things start going wrong after 100,000 miles or 5-6 years.  The warranty's usually out by that point, too, so all of those repairs will be out of pocket and it may turn out that a car payment won't be any more expensive.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:28:21 PM by Metarvo »

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14960 on: September 19, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »
I'm glad to hear that it was just a simple fix, Jim. :)  I would consider thinking about either a new or a decent used car in the near future when you can afford it as 11 years is getting pretty old for something more serious that could break down.
11 years is nothing if you have a car known to be reliable (any Japanese make, IMHO), and on top of that taking care of it by doing routine maintenance. Do this and you'll have a car that will last practically forever. I've had my car for 16 years and almost 200,000 miles and have worked hard on it to keep her healthy. That's why she still runs like new in one piece to this day.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:54:38 PM by Mike M »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14961 on: September 22, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »
The Front Porch is now closed for the season.  We will return here when spring arrives on March 20, 2014.  Join us in the Pot Belly Stove to welcome autumn.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14962 on: March 20, 2014, 01:49:34 AM »
Welcome back to the Front Porch as spring is here!  I don't know if Mother Nature will cooperate right away, but warmer weather should arrive for everyone soon.  Let's see if we can reach the 15,000-post mark in this thread soon. ;)

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #14963 on: March 20, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »
The weather here in Texas may be a bit chilly come this weekend (albeit low temps.), but we're not gonna see any freezing weather anytime soon. I'm hoping this will be Winter 2013-14's last breath.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14964 on: March 20, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »
Welcome back to the Front Porch as spring is here!  I don't know if Mother Nature will cooperate right away, but warmer weather should arrive for everyone soon.  Let's see if we can reach the 15,000-post mark in this thread soon. ;)

Pfft, says who? The calendar? This weekend is such a tease. If these global models keep trending in the direction they're going (especially the GFS) I'm gonna have to pull the leather coat and boots back out for snow and leave the shorts and sunglasses collecting dust in the closet and drawer.  :lol:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #14965 on: March 21, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »
It's been good an warm all week down this way, except in the morning due to fog (fog season's bout to wrap up soon down here). I can't complain though I'm sure another freeze or two will come before Easter.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #14966 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
Spyro Gyra will be performing at my city's "River Raisin Jazz Festival" in August! I can't wait!

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14967 on: March 25, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »
I really can't wait for warmer weather to arrive and persist for once.  This winter has been one of the most depressing times in my life, and I really have fallen into a deep hole emotionally. :cry:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14968 on: March 25, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Does anyone know how I can get more twitter followers without following them back?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14969 on: March 26, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
Does anyone know how I can get more twitter followers without following them back?

That's a good question.  I've always found Twitter a little strange, because unlike Facebook where if you friend someone you automatically see what they post and vice versa, with Twitter, you can follow people but then also have to have followers to see what you're posting (or tweeting).  I too wish I had more followers.  I guess one thing to perhaps do is frequently use hashtags or mention someone's name in your tweets and then they will see your message and follow you.