April 27, 2024, 05:43:04 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1769824 times)

phw115wvwx

Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14925 on: July 24, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
Summer has been good here. Been hanging out with friends and going on vacation next week. Hope everyone else is enjoying theirs.
I'm glad to hear that from you.  You really needed it. :happy:

We're down to 75 posts away from the 1,000-page mark here!

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14926 on: July 24, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »
*pokes head in*
*looks around*
*waves*
*retreats*

Hallo, all. :hi:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14927 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
Hai Jonny :waves:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14928 on: July 26, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
I haven't seen you on here in a long time.  Welcome back, Jonathan!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: July 26, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »
Has everyone been enjoying their summer so far?  It's been pretty quiet around here, but I imagine some of you of are on vacation now.  I sure hope to reach mine in 24 days.

Well... I just got back from a week-long vacation with my family to the Northeast coast.  My brother is interested in attending a military academy, so we started in Annapolis, MD at the Naval Academy, worked our way up to West Point, NY for the US Military Academy (Army), spent a couple of days in New York City, then ended up in New London, CT at the Coast Guard Academy before returning home this evening.  I have to say it was a really fun trip, especially considering I have never been farther north than Washington, DC before.  NYC was definitely an interesting experience - all I have to say is that city is something else, and I can understand how it earned the title of "The city that never sleeps!"  The academies were neat too, and each one had its own unique feel to it.  I have to say West Point was the nicest campus, located in the mountains.

The weather was all over the place.  Luckily when we were touring the schools and spending time in New York it never rained, but we had to deal with heavy downpours driving to the different locations in the afternoon.  (I can now understand why some of you up in that area are tired of the rain.)  I now also understand why Northeast heat waves are of great concern because the humidity, especially at Annapolis, was unbearable.  Of course, I will say that we got quite a wake-up call on Thursday when temperatures were in the 60s all day!  I couldn't believe it when I saw people wearing jackets in late-July!  It was cold, especially for someone who is used to the 90s and 100s in the summer!  But based on Craig's latest post of a record minimum maximum temperature in the Long Island thread, I trust this is not normal, even for the Northeast. :P  Following latest week's heat wave, I'm sure it was a nice change for some.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14930 on: July 27, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
Andy, I would argue that summer has only been around for a few days this entire year.  Today, it didn't get out of the 60s, and 1.41" of rain fell to keep my area a foot above normal in 2013.  I'm getting sick of the endless rain and flooding that has plagued everything in the Mid-Atlantic.  I can't wait for my vacation in 20 days.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14931 on: July 29, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »
Last night was a terrible drive home for shore commuters; the main route taken from the shore points to Philadelphia was shut down for two hours due to flooding. Some people were stranded for much longer than that, though.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14932 on: July 29, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
Last night was a terrible drive home for shore commuters; the main route taken from the shore points to Philadelphia was shut down for two hours due to flooding. Some people were stranded for much longer than that, though.
Now you know what it has been like in my area for the past few weeks.  I hope everyone was alright as it sounds like a mess given the traffic you can have. :hmm:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14933 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
For my Intro to Video Production Class I'm doing a 30 sec commercial spot of Coca-Cola as my final project. I haven't edited all the shots I filmed yet, but I have put together the outro to the commercial which I did in After Effects. What do you guys think? :dunno:

FILE WAS COMPRESSED DOWN FROM 632MB TO 5MB SO I COULD ATTACH IT.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14934 on: August 03, 2013, 02:27:21 AM »
Patrick emailed me and wanted me to let everyone know about his recent computer issue. After talking with Dell, they told Pat that he has a failing hard drive, so he'll be getting it replaced as it's under warranty. Until Pat gets his computer completely fixed, he'll be unavailable on the forum until sometime next week if not later.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14935 on: August 04, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
Hello everyone! It's been a few months since I lasted stopped in for a visit. How are you guys?  :wave:

@Tavores: I like the Coca Cola spot, it looks neat.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14936 on: August 04, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »
Hello everyone! It's been a few months since I lasted stopped in for a visit. How are you guys?  :wave:

@Tavores: I like the Coca Cola spot, it looks neat.

Hey Donovan  :wave:

I've been doing pretty well. I can't wait to get started in my AE/web animation classes this fall semester. I wanna learn as much about AE as I can in addition to web animation. I've been seriously thinking about turning my scripted series I post here into a Youtube series for a few years now. It would probably be flash animation.

Thank you for the comment on the Cola animation. I was originally going to do an outline of a Coke bottle, center it, and have the bubble particles rise upwards from inside the outline of the bottle.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14937 on: August 06, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
Got back from my vacation in the Florida Keys. Certainly was a memorable one.

I love Florida, much more cleaner and nicer than New York.  <_<
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14938 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
Well, this year has just gone from bad to worse for me. :(  It turns out my laptop's hard drive was failing, so it has been replaced.  Unfortunately, other issues were discovered during the technician visit, which means my laptop needs to be shipped off to Dell in the next day or two.  Thus, I won't be online again for a while.  I will also be on vacation during August 16-24, which is a break I desperately need.  Sorry that I won't be around for most of this month.  I really can't wait for 2013 to end. :hmm:

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14939 on: August 06, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »
Oh, no, that's not good!  :wacko:  2013's been a suspiciously rough year for computers.  I had a computer crash earlier this year, and several people I know have reported crashes mostly resulting in either complete data loss or restoration to outdated backups.

The summer heat we've started having lowers my opinion of a year as quick as anything.  It hasn't been that bad of a summer up until August, though.  July was actually slightly below normal, but August has started out above normal.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:18:21 PM by Metarvo »