June 07, 2024, 04:25:40 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789345 times)

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14820 on: June 02, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »
Those touchscreen registers are nothing but trouble. We have one in electronics, and it's the worst, most laggy thing ever. Thankfully our store didn't get a remodel this year like we were supposed to, so they didn't take away all of our old-style registers.
Does your store by chance use IBM ACE? I noticed some Walmarts have been switching to those. We have them at my work as well, and they're a pain in the ass sometimes. The most frequent problem is when it fails to communicate with the pinpads.
Not sure what the model is. They're IBM, and that's all I know. The OS appears to be something Linux-based.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14821 on: June 02, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Lately I've been having problems installing updates on my laptop. There is one particular update that always fails to install successfully, whether it's automatic when I shut my laptop down or if I install it manually. I provided a screenshot to show the update that fails every time:

I tried just about every solution I could possibly find on the web, but with no luck  :(   Anybody have an idea on what I should next to get the update to install successfully?  :dunno:

BTW, my system is a Windows 7 Home Premium x64-based PC, if this is helpful.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: June 03, 2013, 05:13:15 AM »
Lately I've been having problems installing updates on my laptop. There is one particular update that always fails to install successfully, whether it's automatic when I shut my laptop down or if I install it manually. I provided a screenshot to show the update that fails every time:

I tried just about every solution I could possibly find on the web, but with no luck  :(   Anybody have an idea on what I should next to get the update to install successfully?  :dunno:

That is Windows 7 Service Pack 1. You may have to download it manually and try to install it manually. I know of a lot of people who are having and have had issues installing the service pack.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: June 03, 2013, 05:58:38 AM »

That is Windows 7 Service Pack 1. You may have to download it manually and try to install it manually. I know of a lot of people who are having and have had issues installing the service pack.
Right, do as Jesse said, and just download it manually. And if that doesn't work, go to "Run" (Windows Key + R), then type in "cmd", enter, then type in "sfc /scannow" then enter and then see if anything on your computer gets fixed.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14824 on: June 03, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »
I was able to download and manually install the Windows 7 SP1, and everything worked successfully!  :dance:  Many thanks for your help, guys  :biggrin:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: June 03, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
Not sure what the model is. They're IBM, and that's all I know. The OS appears to be something Linux-based.
Does it look anything like this http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pos1R1003444&aid=2

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14826 on: June 03, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »
Went into work today and i went on my 11am lunch break to talk to my manager about what happened Friday night, since i was a temp worker i would either have to stay at cashier or be let go. i chose to be let go and i wasn't happy but i decided it was the best thing to do.

Then i got a call about an hour later saying they had a new opening and asked me if i was interested in a position of cart pushing/stockman and i agreed.

I go back in 10am tomorrow to hopefully take the new CBL's for the position and i'm grateful at whoever talked to the higher ups to convince them to allow me a second chance to work at walmart.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:35:07 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14827 on: June 04, 2013, 12:42:52 AM »
Went into work today and i went on my 11am lunch break to talk to my manager about what happened Friday night, since i was a temp worker i would either have to stay at cashier or be let go. i chose to be let go and i wasn't happy but i decided it was the best thing to do.

Then i got a call about an hour later saying they had a new opening and asked me if i was interested in a position of cart pushing/stockman and i agreed.

I go back in 10am tomorrow to hopefully take the new CBL's for the position and i'm grateful at whoever talked to the higher ups to convince them to allow me a second chance to work at walmart.

Alex, you're really lucky.  Try not to be so nervous about things though as everyone can make mistakes.  Good luck with the second chance.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14828 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »
Alex, you're really lucky.  Try not to be so nervous about things though as everyone can make mistakes.  Good luck with the second chance.

Thanks Patrick, hopefully i see whoever put in a word for me i really appreciate the opportunity  :happy:

I'm just glad Walmart gave me a second chance to allow me to help out customers outside the facility and work outside in the elements. Another good thing about the new position is  the constant exercising during my shifts that would really help continue my healthy diet and lifestyle.

Also health update

240 pounds as of monday morning, total lost now at 120 pounds.

10 pounds from 230, 40 pounds from 200, 60 pounds from 180.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:02:12 AM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #14829 on: June 04, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »
Does it look anything like this http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pos1R1003444&aid=2

It's pretty similar to that.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14830 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »

It looks something like that with a different theme.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14831 on: June 04, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
I finally got some good news at work after what has been a frustrating year for me so far:  NOAA has cancelled the furloughs proposed for employees like me, so I won't be laid off for several days as I was fearing that might happen this summer.  The tornadoes in OK tipped the scale to get NOAA and Congress to agree on a proposal to increase the budget flexibility that will keep everyone in the NWS aboard to watch the ongoing severe weather season and the upcoming hurricane season.  I just hope things get better from here.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #14832 on: June 05, 2013, 08:59:26 AM »
I finally got some good news at work after what has been a frustrating year for me so far:  NOAA has cancelled the furloughs proposed for employees like me, so I won't be laid off for several days as I was fearing that might happen this summer.  The tornadoes in OK tipped the scale to get NOAA and Congress to agree on a proposal to increase the budget flexibility that will keep everyone in the NWS aboard to watch the ongoing severe weather season and the upcoming hurricane season.  I just hope things get better from here.
Excellent news! 

I am still in awe of the recent tornadoes in OK.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14833 on: June 05, 2013, 09:56:25 AM »
1st day as a cart associate was awesome i would estimate i collected around 300 carts throughout my 9hr shift yesterday. (i took between 3-7 carts at a time)

i go back 12pm to 9pm tonight and 2pm to 11pm Thursday before i get a much needed day off on Friday.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #14834 on: June 05, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
One of the most bizarre requests a customer made of me: a customer was a few dollars short of the total owed, so she told me to pay the rest of it with my own money, and then she started to grab her bags and walk away.  I held onto the bags and told her that I was not going to pay for customer's purchases with my own money and that she either had to pay the full amount or remove some merchandise from her purchase.  After screaming until she was literally red in the face and calling me every name in the book, she abandoned the purchase altogether, yelling about how horrible my customer service was for not "helping" her and "giving her a break."
Wow, that is classic! Unfortunately, that's the kind of thing you get when we live in an entitlement society. People get handouts from the government, and so they expect it in other areas of their lives. I've never been a cashier, but I was a sales rep for a few years at Best Buy. One of the more bizarre things that happened to me was I got a call from a customer, asking about some software. At first, he didn't ask his question very clearly, so I said his understanding was incorrect. When he explained it better, I apologized and said he was correct. He then went into a hissy-fit about always getting poor customer service at my store. He said "do you know who I am!?" I thought "no, but I bet you can't wait to tell me." He told me he was with some paid shoppers group, and that because of what I did, he was going to give my store a poor rating. I thought "uh, okay. Anything else dips***? Because I have a real customer in front of me with a question." He then asked for my name and my supervisor, which I gave him. I did so knowing he was all talk and wouldn't do anything. And he didn't. I was never so much as asked about the event. I laugh every time I think about it. This guy apparently thought that getting paid to "shop" was being like a foreign diplomat or something.

I think my experiences working at Best Buy and a retirement home (my first job) helped me become more aware of how I treat those I encounter in customer service. I always do my best to be polite and not make silly demands.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com