June 06, 2024, 09:54:14 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788841 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14805 on: May 29, 2013, 11:16:48 PM »
I wish there was more historical imagery of the places I've lived.  Most of the time, it's just a black-and-white or very blurry view that's pretty much exactly the same as what it looks like now.  Differences are few and far between, but sometimes interesting.  I can see what the new owners did to my grandparents' former house in suburban Philadelphia, and the historical images show that their next house in Gettysburg was in the middle of a totally empty field just a few years before the subdivision was built.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14806 on: May 31, 2013, 01:46:25 AM »
I'm starting to think 2013 is cursed for me given what has happened to me in real life and with my friends here. :(  I've even found a new song called "Barren Lands" by Australis that really describes my feelings lately, and the only thing I can cling to is the hope conveyed at the end.  Here's a great music video someone on YouTube made using weather of all things to portray this song:

Australis - Barren Lands

So many people in life seem to misunderstand me, and I worry that I've turned off a few members here.  If so, I wish to apologize now.  There have been a few of you who have not answered my PMs lately, and I would like to resolve things over the next days.  I'm seriously considering real help for myself.  Does anyone actually understand what I'm trying to show here through this song despite how crazy and weird my perceptions of music seem to be compared to everyone else? :hmm:

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14807 on: May 31, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »
wait wait wait wait what is going on here.

I really need to stop by here frequently.

Patrick, remember I'm just a PM away, I get an email notification for it. xD

but yeah, anyways...I've been inactive because I've been dealing with issues myself, mental health issues actually. It's a long story. Jesse, Springy and Billy kinda know what I've been going through since I visited them at the IRC sometime ago (and will do so later!) and well...at the moment I'm trying to rekindle with a few friendships I had risk of losing, and if that doesn't happen I'd be heartbroken.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14808 on: May 31, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »
Just came out of work today and had to say it was the worst day of work so far, a customer comes to my register to purchase 2 Walmart Gift Cards (one for $25 and another for $10) i go to do the Scan/Swipe the cards then when i go to enter the amount i press 25 and enter (i was supposed to press 2500) which then came up as .25 cents.

The Customer says you put in 25 cents instead of 25 dollars then i start getting really nervous and start apologizing. i then try to enter in the prices for the other card and the customers says rudely "i don't need this card" and goes to get another one. when she comes back she says "Enter this one as $25" which i did with the help of another cashier and the total came out to $35 dollars which she then gives me $40 dollars. after pressing total an error on the screen came up saying "Supervisor required" which is because i tried to void out the other card which then locked up the touchscreen.

i keep apologizing to the customer and she says "i'll take my money back and here's the cards" this was after no supervisor that showed up after a 10 minute wait at my register. then another cashier tried to help me go through the steps to fix the transaction which we both tried to do which failed and the other cashier couldn't believe the computer wouldn't finish the purchase.

after trying to help me fix the error the other cashier directed the customer to try and see if she could do a new transaction at a different register. which i looked and saw the customer got her gift cards and went on her way. after what happened i felt very nauseous and almost passed out (felt like an anxiety attack) but i caught myself and took some deep breaths to calm myself down after the ordeal. then one of the supervisors came up to me an hour later to tell me it's my 15 minute break which was a relief because i would be able to explain what happened to the supervisor. i explained the above to my supervisor and she said when i come in at 10am tomorrow for my shift i should look for my manager and discuss the situation with her or if i don't see my manager wait until 11am until she (my supervisor) comes in so we both can meet with my manager and tell her what happened tonight.

Overall a very bad night at work and i was shaking and very nervous and after i told my supervisor i'm not comfortable being a cashier anymore she completely understood with all the stress involved in working in the front end of the store. hopefully i can talk to my manager tomorrow and look for a new position in the store and continue to work at walmart and continue to help out customers who shop there daily.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14809 on: May 31, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »
Just came out of work today and had to say it was the worst day of work so far, a customer comes to my register to purchase 2 Walmart Gift Cards (one for $25 and another for $10) i go to do the Scan/Swipe the cards then when i go to enter the amount i press 25 and enter (i was supposed to press 2500) which then came up as .25 cents.

The Customer says you put in 25 cents instead of 25 dollars then i start getting really nervous and start apologizing. i then try to enter in the prices for the other card and the customers says rudely "i don't need this card" and goes to get another one. when she comes back she says "Enter this one as $25" which i did with the help of another cashier and the total came out to $35 dollars which she then gives me $40 dollars. after pressing total an error on the screen came up saying "Supervisor required" which is because i tried to void out the other card which then locked up the touchscreen.

i keep apologizing to the customer and she says "i'll take my money back and here's the cards" this was after no supervisor that showed up after a 10 minute wait at my register. then another cashier tried to help me go through the steps to fix the transaction which we both tried to do which failed and the other cashier couldn't believe the computer wouldn't finish the purchase.

after trying to help me fix the error the other cashier directed the customer to try and see if she could do a new transaction at a different register. which i looked and saw the customer got her gift cards and went on her way. after what happened i felt very nauseous and almost passed out (felt like an anxiety attack) but i caught myself and took some deep breaths to calm myself down after the ordeal. then one of the supervisors came up to me an hour later to tell me it's my 15 minute break which was a relief because i would be able to explain what happened to the supervisor. i explained the above to my supervisor and she said when i come in at 10am tomorrow for my shift i should look for my manager and discuss the situation with her or if i don't see my manager wait until 11am until she (my supervisor) comes in so we both can meet with my manager and tell her what happened tonight.

Overall a very bad night at work and i was shaking and very nervous and after i told my supervisor i'm not comfortable being a cashier anymore she completely understood with all the stress involved in working in the front end of the store. hopefully i can talk to my manager tomorrow and look for a new position in the store and continue to work at walmart and continue to help out customers who shop there daily.

I've never worked as a cashier (and never want to), but I'm sure it takes a lot of patience and tolerance to do because I can tell it's very stressful whether you're a newbie or a veteran. You really have to love helping people as a second nature like you seem to in order to handle it.  Hopefully you'll be able to move to a different position that will better suit you there while at the same time allow you to interact/help customers.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14810 on: June 01, 2013, 01:38:34 AM »
Congrats, Zach! College is a load of fun.  :biggrin:
College was a big waste of time and money for me. All I got out of it was a piece of paper that told my former employer that it was safe to hire me. About 95% of what I use every day at work I either learned on my own or on the job. My programming classes only taught the basics, which by then I already knew for the most part.

Honestly, if you're going to college, just started college, or are thinking about college...don't give into the nonsense that "everyone should go to college." It's not true. Sure, some professions require a degree, but many do not. And if you do decide to go, make sure that you can pay for it and that your chosen profession is in demand. Many graduates have been shocked to find out that you have to start paying your loan when you graduate, regardless of whether or you can find a job (filing bankruptcy won't help). Or that there aren't too many employers looking to hire someone with a degree in gender studies.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14811 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »
I used to work in the electronics department, but I got reassigned to checkouts about a year ago.  Patience is not something I have a lot of, so it's often a struggle.  I have customers who truly consider me to be a slave - after all, they're paying customers, and I have to do anything to keep their business.

One of the most bizarre requests a customer made of me: a customer was a few dollars short of the total owed, so she told me to pay the rest of it with my own money, and then she started to grab her bags and walk away.  I held onto the bags and told her that I was not going to pay for customer's purchases with my own money and that she either had to pay the full amount or remove some merchandise from her purchase.  After screaming until she was literally red in the face and calling me every name in the book, she abandoned the purchase altogether, yelling about how horrible my customer service was for not "helping" her and "giving her a break."

A more frequent problem is when customers don't know how they want their merchandise bagged.  I'm willing to bag things the way people want me to (I'm particular about bagging when I'm a customer, too).  However, when customers change their minds several times and expect me to unbag everything just to rebag it again, all the while holding up my line with a growing queue of impatient customers behind them... that's too much.  One customer had me bag, unbag, and rebag no fewer than six times, after which I pointed out that I had a growing line of customers that needed attention, and that I was going to put the bags in the customer's carriage, along with some extras in case they were needed, so the customer could bag his items the way he wanted them.  Well, that stopped everything cold, and it got so bad I had to tell my waiting customers they might actually get faster service in other lines.  I had to call the manager, and the customer insisted that I refused to bag his merchandise outright.  Fortunately, the manager knows I'm not a nut, so the security tape was reviewed, and the customer was then told that I had, in fact, bagged and rebagged six times already.  The customer said he didn't care about that - it was my refusal on the SEVENTH time that made him angry.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14812 on: June 01, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
I can't agree with you more Matt. I can understand people being passionate about a certain path, then they realize their majors provide no practical training or skills for their degree and can't find a job. Since nowadays bachelors degrees are a dime a dozen, a degree alone is not enough. I don't get why people do useless majors like philosophy , art history, womens and gender studies, english etc and expect to be handed a job. IMO, trade schools may be just as Valuable as 4 Year colleges. that's not to say college is useless, it absolutely isn't but I just realized when I went to school how overcrowded it was and how all these people could actually be getting jobs down the line with their degree 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:39:31 AM by Localonthe8s »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14813 on: June 01, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »
wait wait wait wait what is going on here.

I really need to stop by here frequently.

Patrick, remember I'm just a PM away, I get an email notification for it. xD

but yeah, anyways...I've been inactive because I've been dealing with issues myself, mental health issues actually. It's a long story. Jesse, Springy and Billy kinda know what I've been going through since I visited them at the IRC sometime ago (and will do so later!) and well...at the moment I'm trying to rekindle with a few friendships I had risk of losing, and if that doesn't happen I'd be heartbroken.
Ana, thanks for your care.  I'll try to talk with you at a later date.  I'm having a lot of personal issues at work and a little as well here.  I feel like I've lost touch with people, too.  I even worry if I scared everyone with that song in my post, but I was really calling for help.  I hope things get better for you as well.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »
College was a big waste of time and money for me. All I got out of it was a piece of paper that told my former employer that it was safe to hire me. About 95% of what I use every day at work I either learned on my own or on the job. My programming classes only taught the basics, which by then I already knew for the most part.
I think the only reason why more and more employers require a degree is to just slow the hiring process, and nothing about personal experience. If I could go somewhere with a good paying job in the IT industry without some piece of paper then I would have most definitely not gone to college. So far it's been a waste of time for me. Right now I have no intention to go past an associates degree since the field I'm studying is still growing rapidly to this day anyways. Not to mention I don't have the time and money to go to a four year university without getting loans, which are a PIA to deal with.

Also Alex... I work as a cashier too and can't count how many times customers blame me over a wrong price. I do not control the prices, the store does. :rolleyes: In fact one customer ticked me off so much when they called us "full of crap" over a too high of a price. I offered her to speak to a manager and she still got pissy. I, uncontrollably, said "I do not control the prices." I may have likely lost a customer but it is unacceptable for one to say that in front of everyone. At least I didn't get in trouble for it. I care about the store and customers but when they don't explain their issue in a clear, calmly matter it's hard for us to solve their issue.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:43:39 PM by Mike M »

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #14815 on: June 01, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »

Oh, jeez. Don't get me started on Walmart. Been there for 6.5 years now...

Those touchscreen registers are nothing but trouble. We have one in electronics, and it's the worst, most laggy thing ever. Thankfully our store didn't get a remodel this year like we were supposed to, so they didn't take away all of our old-style registers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:58:21 PM by beanboy89 »
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14816 on: June 02, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »
Today there has been a devestating loss in the storm chasing community. TWISTEX founder and chaser Tim Samaras, his son Paul,  and Carl Young were killed in the El Reno tornado Friday. I'm praying for the families during this difficult time. This  just shows you how dangerous  storm chasing can be at times but they died doing what they had loved.   

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
They were near the Tornado Hunt team. The tornado made a sharp 90° and hit them. I actually met Tim Samaras at DASCCON1 in Jackson, TN last year. He was one of the most genuine people I know. May him, his son, and Carl all rest in peace.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14818 on: June 02, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »
Thanks Mike and Billy for sharing your experiences, i talked with one of my managers on Saturday morning and he told me he sent an email to the new store manager so i can let her know I'm not comfortable being a cashier and hopefully i could become a Stockmen/Cart pusher maybe sometime this week. (even though the weather will play a factor when i'm doing my job it's way better than getting anymore stress that almost made me faint on Friday night.)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: June 02, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
Those touchscreen registers are nothing but trouble. We have one in electronics, and it's the worst, most laggy thing ever. Thankfully our store didn't get a remodel this year like we were supposed to, so they didn't take away all of our old-style registers.
Does your store by chance use IBM ACE? I noticed some Walmarts have been switching to those. We have them at my work as well, and they're a pain in the ass sometimes. The most frequent problem is when it fails to communicate with the pinpads.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:24:27 PM by Mike M »