June 07, 2024, 01:14:47 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789090 times)

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14655 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »
With Easter coming this Sunday, do any of you perform any special activities for this holiday?

sleep.

no j/k. going to a family get together. (actually the "Easter" celebrations start on Friday with a Good Friday brunch. yay for not eating till noon! \o/)
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14656 on: March 27, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
With Easter coming this Sunday, do any of you perform any special activities for this holiday?

Not really. I'm just gonna do nothing, like I always do on a typical weekend anyway  :P
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14657 on: March 27, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
My niece is going to do her 2nd Easter egg hunt on Sunday with her family (since she's 2), and my Easter is most likely going to church with family and watching Opening Night baseball.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14658 on: March 28, 2013, 02:18:38 AM »
Just finished the first season of VEEP. :wub: Love that show!

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14659 on: March 28, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
The very good thing about this year is that I'm a retired Easter Bunny. My little sister will be taking care of the eggs now. ;) I'm just gonna be at the front row watching the kids fight to the death hunt for these eggs.  :thumbsup:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #14660 on: March 28, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »
Nice to hear from you Anistorm. :thumbsup:

I'm curious to know what some of you guys think about working while in college. I'm taking difficult classes, but my parents/stepparents keep insisting that I find work, but I'm not sure I can emotionally handle work on top of a full load of college classes. I've had part-time work experience before, but I really had a hard time studying and all after I had to work in the past because I'd be exhausted. Been a controversial topic at home... I see myself being independent in  maybe two years once I graduate and all, but I'm not ready to support myself and be a successful full-time college student at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:21:35 PM by twcfan68 »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14661 on: March 28, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

I'm curious to know what some of you guys think about working while in college. I'm taking difficult classes, but my parents/stepparents keep insisting that I find work, but I'm not sure I can emotionally handle work on top of a full load of college classes. I've had part-time work experience before, but I really had a hard time studying and all after I had to work in the past because I'd be exhausted. Been a controversial topic at home... I see myself being independent in  maybe two years once I graduate and all, but I'm not ready to support myself and be a successful full-time college student at the same time.

I had friends who were in the same boat as you, also you mentioned the classes are difficult so if i were you i would worry about the college workload instead of having added anxiety with part time working
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:41:05 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14662 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »

my parents said the same thing but they wanted to me not worry about work and just study, study, study for the next 4 years instead. That's a good thing you should balance work with classes which is why I admire what you're doing. Unless you're aiming for grad school, entry level employers don't look into GPA too much but work and internship experience/involvement on campus. I would worry about classes but don't worry too much about getting A's..as long as you can pull a 3.0 that's enough. Unfortunately, I wish I had known that last year because all I did was study and that's it. And these classes were all general ed classes. I wish I could've built my resume with internship experience which I hope to do next year. I am looking for summer internships right now and all of them I find are in NYC, which is too far from home and I cannot afford housing in NY for the internship, so I'm stuck in a dead-end situation :/ Grades and degree matter, but experience matters so both are important. If it's too much for you to handle, look into lightening your courseload.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:20:01 PM by Localonthe8s »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14663 on: March 28, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
You need job experience in addition to good grades and a degree, or you're not going to land a job right away after graduation.  I found volunteer work and internships during the summer so that I didn't have to pile more things on top of my courses, but some people have to do so to afford their college costs or because of opportunities that arise during semesters.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14664 on: March 28, 2013, 08:50:56 PM »
It's also been difficult in my end as well. My advice is to find volunteer work when you have time away from your classes, and with that experience, you might land on a good job opportunity right after college. Prioritize with your schoolwork. :)
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14665 on: March 28, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
That's why I go to school part time (3 classes) and work part time to balance things out, with more work hours during summer/breaks. Not like I'm in any hurry to graduate anyways.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #14666 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
I really appreciate all the input. I think an on-campus job is undoubtedly the best choice because people are more understanding of college schedules. I plan to seek a career counselor and ask him or her what some options would be. I do need to work this summer, but I get overwhelmed with school and work because I try really hard to keep my high GPA. I'm no genius who hardly has to study to get good grades.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14667 on: March 29, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
I really appreciate all the input. I think an on-campus job is undoubtedly the best choice because people are more understanding of college schedules. I plan to seek a career counselor and ask him or her what some options would be. I do need to work this summer, but I get overwhelmed with school and work because I try really hard to keep my high GPA. I'm no genius who hardly has to study to get good grades.
When you're trying for that high GPA, make sure you give yourself small occasional breaks during your study time as you can easily burn yourself out and perform worse than what you could if you just study continuously.  Lastly, don't forget to reward yourself when you do well on courses and exams.  Social time and academic time have to be balanced in college and in life to make yourself feel happy and healthy.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14668 on: March 30, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
This news broke yesterday and I see it's already made national news.

Ex-APS Superintendent Beverly Hall, others indicted in Largest Cheating Scandal in US History
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/special-reports/grand-jury-aps-cheating-indictments/nW7Lg/
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/us/08hall.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:30:19 AM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14669 on: March 30, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
Tavores, that story ran on our local NBC affiliate this morning.