June 06, 2024, 10:54:44 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788923 times)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14640 on: March 23, 2013, 07:19:27 PM »
Chilly 50s today with a chance of snow/sleet tomorrow night/Friday. That doesn't sound very Spring-Like to me Patrick. :club:  :lol:

NWS Forecast
Thursday Night A slight chance of rain and sleet before 4am, then a slight chance of snow and sleet between 4am and 5am, then a slight chance of snow after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday A chance of rain, snow, and sleet before 7am, then a chance of rain and sleet between 7am and 8am, then a chance of rain after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=134&map.y=108&site=ffc&zmx=1&zmy=1
I am so sick of all the cold weather! It's only in the 60s for a day or two, then below average temperatures again. :( :angry: I am wanting springtime thunderstorms, but the cold and stable air keeps ruining it. There's a chance south of me tonight and then tomorrow, a cold north wind and more subfreezing temperatures tomorrow night, Monday night and Tuesday night, with no more 60s until next Thursday.  :angry:

Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. West wind around 15 mph.

Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 48. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph.

Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 31. West wind 5 to 15 mph.

Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 47.

Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 29.

Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 54.

Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 36.

Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 61.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:25:40 PM by TWCC_Lightning »
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14641 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »
Chilly 50s today with a chance of snow/sleet tomorrow night/Friday. That doesn't sound very Spring-Like to me Patrick. :club:  :lol:

NWS Forecast
Thursday Night A slight chance of rain and sleet before 4am, then a slight chance of snow and sleet between 4am and 5am, then a slight chance of snow after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday A chance of rain, snow, and sleet before 7am, then a chance of rain and sleet between 7am and 8am, then a chance of rain after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=134&map.y=108&site=ffc&zmx=1&zmy=1
I am so sick of all the cold weather! It's only in the 60s for a day or two, then below average temperatures again. :( :angry: I am wanting springtime thunderstorms, but the cold and stable air keeps ruining it. There's a chance south of me tonight and then tomorrow, a cold north wind and more subfreezing temperatures tomorrow night, Monday night and Tuesday night, with no more 60s until next Thursday.  :angry:

Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 48. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph.

Pfft, we barely reached 30 on Thursday and we got SNOW. :angry: Around this time last year we hit 81. We are getting another snowstorm 3 - 6" according to a few models on Monday. I am so sick and tired of this cold weather, it's killing my joints.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14642 on: March 23, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »

Really? I had thunderstorms all morning today and our temps were only in the low to mid 40s. Very impressive lightning flashes (A few I think were cloud to ground) and loud thunder it caught me by surprise and woke me up from a great sleep. <_< :angry:

Btw, we never got the snow and yet it managed to snow only two counties to my west. :wall: I'm in the minority, but I don't mind the cold weather for the remainder of March. I'm gonna sound selfish, but it can stay as cold as it likes until my Spring Break starting April 1st, then it's gonna have to get the heck outta here.  :P

EDIT: If there's a plus side, you're under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch tonight so maybe you'll get lucky. :thumbsup:

Pfft, we barely reached 30 on Thursday and we got SNOW. :angry: Around this time last year we hit 81. We are getting another snowstorm 3 - 6" according to a few models on Monday. I am so sick and tired of this cold weather, it's killing my joints.

We can trade weather, you can take my thunderstorms and I'll take your snowstorm because I haven't had one in this s :censored: ty winter. :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:36:46 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14643 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
Lets take at a look at here. We aren't looking at any warm temps until the end of March, early April. Here, when we get huge warm spells, are limited to inland places. Sea breezes lower our temps during significant warm spells. So even if it does warm up, a sea breeze will drop the temps. While inland places would be in the 70's all day with light winds, here we'll have 70's for an hour, then a gusty sea breeze will pick up, drop us back into the low 60's. Severe weather? Here? Forget about it. The ocean ruins every opportunity for severe weather until June. April and May, you'll never get severe weather. The cold ocean will annihilate the convective cell of any thunderstorm. Snow lover? Forget it? While inland places will be buried, we'll be warm and rain, or we'll be snow but not accumulate. Get the idea? Spring weather sucks here. The only time it is good is after a frontal pass with a NW wind to counter-act the sea breeze and actually give us a warm day. Oh and sometimes if it's a cold spring, good luck finding the sun.

NWS Forecast:

Overnight Clear, with a low around 29. Northwest wind around 11 mph.

Sunday Sunny, with a high near 45. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Sunday Night A chance of snow, mainly after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday Snow likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy, with a northeast wind 13 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Monday Night Snow likely, mainly before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Breezy, with a north wind 14 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday Partly sunny, with a high near 44.

Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.

Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 34.

Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 47.

Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 48.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14644 on: March 24, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
Seeing how much weather is dominating the conversation lately even on here, would you all be interested in having the weather boards expanded to allow you all more room for model discussions, forecasting, or even perhaps a weather trivia game or forecasting contest?  I gave everyone ideas in that thread several months ago, but I haven't seen anyone else try it, and I really don't want to do it all by myself.  So, I'd like some help from my team and from all of you with thoughts.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: March 24, 2013, 01:02:04 AM »
Lets take at a look at here. We aren't looking at any warm temps until the end of March, early April. Here, when we get huge warm spells, are limited to inland places. Sea breezes lower our temps during significant warm spells. So even if it does warm up, a sea breeze will drop the temps. While inland places would be in the 70's all day with light winds, here we'll have 70's for an hour, then a gusty sea breeze will pick up, drop us back into the low 60's. Severe weather? Here? Forget about it. The ocean ruins every opportunity for severe weather until June. April and May, you'll never get severe weather. The cold ocean will annihilate the convective cell of any thunderstorm. Snow lover? Forget it? While inland places will be buried, we'll be warm and rain, or we'll be snow but not accumulate. Get the idea? Spring weather sucks here. The only time it is good is after a frontal pass with a NW wind to counter-act the sea breeze and actually give us a warm day. Oh and sometimes if it's a cold spring, good luck finding the sun.

NWS Forecast:

Overnight Clear, with a low around 29. Northwest wind around 11 mph.

Sunday Sunny, with a high near 45. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Sunday Night A chance of snow, mainly after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday Snow likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy, with a northeast wind 13 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Monday Night Snow likely, mainly before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Breezy, with a north wind 14 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday Partly sunny, with a high near 44.

Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.

Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 34.

Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 47.

Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 48.

Spring still has no intention of showing up here. We've smashed so many record low temperature records in the last few days, I've been getting dizzy. Record lows of -23, -13, and -9. We will finally climb above freezing next week. Snow is still sticking around, river is iced over and going to flood big time (Fargo is going to have a rough spring).

Long story short, this pattern sucks and I want that stupid groundhog burned at the stake.

Seeing how much weather is dominating the conversation lately even on here, would you all be interested in having the weather boards expanded to allow you all more room for model discussions, forecasting, or even perhaps a weather trivia game or forecasting contest?  I gave everyone ideas in that thread several months ago, but I haven't seen anyone else try it, and I really don't want to do it all by myself.  So, I'd like some help from my team and from all of you with thoughts.

I would love to see this. C'mon, people. Anyone else up for this?
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14646 on: March 24, 2013, 09:01:46 AM »

That would be a great idea! I'd love that.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14647 on: March 24, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
Patrick, I love that idea! And I hope it gets implemented! :yes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »
I also like that idea! And Craig, I so agree. I live close to the ocean and the storms are history by the time they get here. It's not uncommon to get a tornado warning just 15 miles away, and here the sun is still shining. The best chance for shore thunderstrms are those brief, but intense popups

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14649 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »

COUNT ME IN!  :biggrin:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14650 on: March 25, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
Well, those first votes are an overwhelming yes. :P  Since we already have a general weather chat board, I'm thinking of creating a forecasting board where you can talk about the models, discuss forecasting challenges for your area, and try out a forecasting contest in random cities across the United States to help you appreciate the difficulty.  I don't want to disturb the other weather boards, so topics pertaining to your current conditions, individual storm events, or tropical weather should remain in their original places.  A weather trivia game would be something I could whip up in the Game Room if there's enough interest.

Martin and Andy, I could use your help with any other ideas that we could implement to expand weather and make more interesting topics for this forum.  Even more ideas for the classic TWC boards should be considered, so Matt could certainly help here.  I don't want to pursue these ideas all by myself, so please feel free to post below or PM me with thoughts.  I know everyone is busy, but it's clear to me that we need to do more to make this forum more enjoyable and lively again.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
Like you and a lot of other longtime viewers, it just breaks my heart that TWC no longer cares about smooth jazz music or 2-minute LOT8s  :cry:  I wish I could be TWC's programming director or the person who is in charge of the LOT8s. That way, the first thing I would do is eliminate the vocal music, bring back smooth jazz, cancel all long-form shows that have nothing to do with weather, and extend the LOT8s. But that is all just a fantasy, which brings even more pain and heartbreak  :(
Why do you still watch TWC then, if I may ask, if you don't like it anymore?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:37:06 PM by Mike M »

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14652 on: March 26, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
Like you and a lot of other longtime viewers, it just breaks my heart that TWC no longer cares about smooth jazz music or 2-minute LOT8s  :cry:  I wish I could be TWC's programming director or the person who is in charge of the LOT8s. That way, the first thing I would do is eliminate the vocal music, bring back smooth jazz, cancel all long-form shows that have nothing to do with weather, and extend the LOT8s. But that is all just a fantasy, which brings even more pain and heartbreak  :(
Why do you still watch TWC then, if I may ask, if you don't like it anymore?

Mike, I still like the network, but only just to see what my local weather is going to be via the LOT8's, despite them being 60 seconds in length and having vocal music in the background. As for the other stuff on the network, I just really don't care about that  :no:  Not only that, I don't get very many channels in my house besides TWC SD and HD. Hopefully this makes sense to you  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:05:51 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14653 on: March 27, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
With Easter coming this Sunday, do any of you perform any special activities for this holiday?

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: March 27, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
With Easter coming this Sunday, do any of you perform any special activities for this holiday?
Work :P