June 06, 2024, 01:19:10 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787880 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14430 on: August 02, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
I still got about 3 weeks before I go back for my fall semester of college taking up a new program of study. I didn't like the first one I was in, I changed it right after my first semester ended.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: August 02, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »
I still got about 3 weeks before I go back for my fall semester of college taking up a new program of study. I didn't like the first one I was in, I changed it right after my first semester ended.
What are you majoring in?

I start at the end of the month. Almost 4 months of summer vacation and it's still going by too fast for me. :P

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14432 on: August 02, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
^Design & Media Production

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14433 on: August 02, 2012, 07:33:42 PM »
I hope someone here who is experienced might help me with this dilemma...

My Pinnacle USB tuner stick came in the mail today. While trying it out on my laptop with Windows 7, I ran into a brick wall. I installed Pinnacle TVCenter on my laptop, plugged in my coax (with Charter Limited Basic Cable) into the tuner USB stick, then scanned for channels using TVCenter, and so far no channels from either ClearQAM or Analog have came through. Did I screw something up, or does this tuner usually take forever to scan for channels?  :unsure:

If none of this seems clear to you, let me know and I'll try to explain this further and clearer if needed.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: August 02, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
Summer? What about 2012 in general?! When did we get through 2/3rds of the year?! :lol:

2/3rds of the year? That means...oh no. Only 1/3 of a year left before *insert generic apocalyptic event here* happens! AUGH!  :fire:  :bleh:
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14435 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »

My Pinnacle USB tuner stick came in the mail today. While trying it out on my laptop with Windows 7, I ran into a brick wall. I installed Pinnacle TVCenter on my laptop, plugged in my coax (with Charter Limited Basic Cable) into the tuner USB stick, then scanned for channels using TVCenter, and so far no channels from either ClearQAM or Analog have came through. Did I screw something up, or does this tuner usually take forever to scan for channels?  :unsure:

If none of this seems clear to you, let me know and I'll try to explain this further and clearer if needed.
I had a Pinnacle device some time ago. It would take a while to scan. Try restarting a couple times

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14436 on: August 02, 2012, 10:56:38 PM »

I had a Pinnacle device some time ago. It would take a while to scan. Try restarting a couple times

So far I was able to get only the analog channels via Windows Media Center (it does not support ClearQAM.) I seem to have been impatient so that's why I hit a brick wall while scanning for the channels via Pinnacle TVCenter. Maybe I'll try another channel scan with TVCenter tomorrow morning and let it go for a while to see if it picks up all of the channels, including all of the available digital channels as well as a few HD channels :hmm:  :thinking: 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:59:44 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: August 02, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

So far I was able to get only the analog channels via Windows Media Center (it does not support ClearQAM.) I seem to have been impatient so that's why I hit a brick wall while scanning for the channels via Pinnacle TVCenter. Maybe I'll try another channel scan with TVCenter tomorrow morning and let it go for a while to see if it picks up all of the channels, including all of the available digital channels as well as a few HD channels :hmm:  :thinking:
You need to switch it in the settings from Antenna to Cable :thumbsup:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14438 on: August 02, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »

You need to switch it in the settings from Antenna to Cable :thumbsup:

Under signal source in the hardware tab of TVCenter Settings Wizard, I had set the TV Antenna source to Cable. The scanning part takes forever, which I'll try again in the morning, unless I forgot something  :unsure:
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:03 PM »
Under signal source in the hardware tab of TVCenter Settings Wizard, I had set the TV Antenna source to Cable. The scanning part takes forever, which I'll try again in the morning, unless I forgot something  :unsure:
You can set it to do a quick scan..

From the Channel Scan tab, click on "Advanced Options" and then change the scan mode to quick. But be aware it scans from frequency 1 through 125, so it could be a bit legnthy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:16:49 PM by Zach »
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14440 on: August 02, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
You can set it to do a quick scan..

From the Channel Scan tab, click on "Advanced Options" and then change the scan mode to quick. But be aware it scans from frequency 1 through 125, so it could be a bit legnthy.

Okay, I'll take a look at that in the morning. I'll be sure to let you know if it goes well or not  :thumbsup:
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14441 on: August 02, 2012, 11:59:26 PM »
Hope it goes along for you. My tuner wouldn't scan regardless of the mode back when I got it in Christmas of 2007. I gave up on it

Offline Nathan - a.k.a. NWRGeek

• also elevatorsonly
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: 24131
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24131
« Reply #14442 on: August 03, 2012, 06:38:51 AM »
before *insert generic apocalyptic event here* happens!
Not. Don't worry, it won't happen. It's only a mis-understanding of the Mayan calendar, boosted in 2009 by the sci-fi film "2012". Oh, and sci-fi means SCIENCE FICTION. People actually believed it and told all of their friends and family, but later realized (hopefully) that it's only sci-fi. Don't worry.

(scratch above paragraph if you were using sarcasm or were joking)

In other news, Boston.com made a typo in their Red Sox newsletter this morning.
Thanks NBC Comcast for driving me away from TWC. You've officially made TWC junk, NBC Comcast.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: August 03, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »
before *insert generic apocalyptic event here* happens!
Not. Don't worry, it won't happen. It's only a mis-understanding of the Mayan calendar, boosted in 2009 by the sci-fi film "2012". Oh, and sci-fi means SCIENCE FICTION. People actually believed it and told all of their friends and family, but later realized (hopefully) that it's only sci-fi. Don't worry.

(scratch above paragraph if you were using sarcasm or were joking)

In other news, Boston.com made a typo in their Red Sox newsletter this morning.
It was sarcasm, but thanks for the clarification. :P
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14444 on: August 03, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »
I tried scanning for channels using TVCenter for three hours, and it found nothing at all  :no:  so I gave up on it.

Only Media Center recognizes the PCTV stick but not TVCenter itself so no HD TWC clips from me anytime soon  :no: The program only picks up the analog cable channels and it does not support ClearQAM at the moment  :(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:44:37 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database