April 27, 2024, 11:09:08 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1769382 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14340 on: July 15, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
You are no longer a fan of the current network if you no longer have anything positive to contribute towards it. Sorry but thats simply how I see it. If you no longer like something you can't call yourself a fan of it. This forum was established to find like minded people who enjoyed various aspects of The Weather Channel... not to complain about how its not being run to your satisfaction. Some of you dislike the programming, OCMs, music, local forecasts (or lack thereof), etc. What do you actually like then? This board has a close community that likes to interact about personal and off topic issues. While thats fine it can't be the main reason the forum exists. If there are no longer any fans of The Weather Channel then this forum serves no purpose and should cease to continue operation or at least become archive only. You all should try to look on the bright side of the changes since there is little you can do to turn back the clock.
But, we can still talk about classic TWC in a positive matter, right? I'm not longer a fan of present TWC programming and haven't since probably 2007 (only watched for LFs after that), but that doesn't mean my interest in classic TWC will ever go away. :yes:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:53:20 AM by Mike M »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14341 on: July 15, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »
You are no longer a fan of the current network if you no longer have anything positive to contribute towards it. Sorry but thats simply how I see it. If you no longer like something you can't call yourself a fan of it. This forum was established to find like minded people who enjoyed various aspects of The Weather Channel... not to complain about how its not being run to your satisfaction. Some of you dislike the programming, OCMs, music, local forecasts (or lack thereof), etc. What do you actually like then? This board has a close community that likes to interact about personal and off topic issues. While thats fine it can't be the main reason the forum exists. If there are no longer any fans of The Weather Channel then this forum serves no purpose and should cease to continue operation or at least become archive only. You all should try to look on the bright side of the changes since there is little you can do to turn back the clock.
But, we can still talk about classic TWC in a positive matter, right? I'm not longer a fan of present TWC programming and haven't since probably 2007 (only watched for LFs after that), but that doesn't mean my interest in classic TWC will ever go away. :yes:

I, personally, think that would be fine, Mike, though Martin can certainly give his opinion on it.  Basically, it's posts such as "TWC sucks now...NBC ruined TWC...Screw you NBC...TWC's discontinuation of smooth jazz is the end of the world...The L-Bar is the death of me...blah...blah...blah" that are really getting on all of our nerves.  Sure, maybe some of TWC's latest decisions aren't the best in someone's opinion, but only talking about the bad side of changes and making these adamant, angry posts are just too much.  This forum is called TWC Today, and it's a "fan" forum.  If people can only talk about how much they hate TWC, then I really don't see this forum serving much purpose.

I, too, want to apologize to anyone who thinks we are acting like tyrants.  But I hope you can understand that these posts about how much one person thinks TWC sucks (that, let me add, often turn into arguments and heated debates) are really bringing the forum down.  And that's what the admins/mods are trying to prevent.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14342 on: July 16, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
Oh of course! My point really is that the repeated negativity thats recently been going on isn't productive and no longer adds to the conversation. I highly encourage everyone to share and comment on classic moments they like. Talk about the TWC you liked not the one you dislike :)

I, too, want to apologize to anyone who thinks we are acting like tyrants.  But I hope you can understand that these posts about how much one person thinks TWC sucks (that, let me add, often turn into arguments and heated debates) are really bringing the forum down.  And that's what the admins/mods are trying to prevent.
Exactly. The atmosphere here is supposed to be about the passion and love for TWC classic and current. The forum isnt meant for people to simply bash the network for everything it does. I and others would like to see a return to focusing on the positive aspects of TWC rather than the negative. Find something you enjoy or enjoyed and start a conversation about it!

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14343 on: July 18, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
Saw this at another forum... it's snowing in Southern Massachusetts today?! :rofl2:

I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14344 on: July 18, 2012, 09:54:38 AM »
Saw this at another forum... it's snowing in Southern Massachusetts today?! :rofl2:

I bet you wished it was gonna snow up here  :bleh:

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14345 on: July 18, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
I had recently uncovered this from my personal computer files...

Loudest Thunderclap I've Ever Heard!!!

This is just a photograph and sound of a very loud thunderclap I caught with my old camera back in Spokane just over three years ago. This clap of thunder so was so loud it knocked out my power for about an hour or two.

Sadly, I had lost the original camera video, but thankfully this snapshot and the sound from that video had survived  :thumbsup:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14346 on: July 18, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14347 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Just for laughs...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Stokes-Weather-Channel-Signed-Auto-8x10-photo-/320851317777

IIRC, didn't he get sued for sexually harassing someone at TWC a few years back?  :unsure:
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14348 on: July 18, 2012, 11:26:11 PM »

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14349 on: July 18, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
Just for laughs...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Stokes-Weather-Channel-Signed-Auto-8x10-photo-/320851317777

IIRC, didn't he get sued for sexually harassing someone at TWC a few years back?  :unsure:

yep.

I thought so. Thanks for the clarification  :thumbsup:

Speaking of autographed photographs of TWC meteorologists, either former or current, I do have a photo of Jim Cantore I got from him a years ago, signed by the Can-man himself. I can scan and post the photo here if anyone wishes to see it.
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: July 18, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »
I have autographs from Steele and Forbes. I got them 3 Julys ago. I just wish I got one from lemke and schwartz before they left. They were a pleasure to watch

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #14351 on: July 19, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
When Jim stopped up in Orchard Park a few months ago to cover the snowstorm, my mom ran into him at the park and got him to autograph a slip of paper for me, which was pretty darn cool in my opinion!

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #14352 on: July 19, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
Just for laughs...

yep.

I thought so. Thanks for the clarification  :thumbsup:

Speaking of autographed photographs of TWC meteorologists, either former or current, I do have a photo of Jim Cantore I got from him a years ago, signed by the Can-man himself. I can scan and post the photo here if anyone wishes to see it.

Oh heck yes! I sent in one of those TWC autograph request forms about a year ago and never got one... I guess they did away with that!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14353 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »
In the FAQ they claim they still do OCM autographs.

We have publicity photos for most of our on camera meteorologists. Although there is no guarantee on availability or how long it might take, we do try to grant the requests we receive for autographs. For an autographed picture of your favorite OCM, please fill out the assistance request form and include both the OCM's name and your preferred mailing address, and we will process that request.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #14354 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
My prayers and thoughts go out to those affected by this tragedy in Colorado.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"