June 06, 2024, 09:27:16 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788802 times)

phw115wvwx

Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14220 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
It won't be long until 2012 is halfway over, and it looks like we're in for a real heat wave this weekend.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14221 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:36 PM »
It won't be long until 2012 is halfway over, and it looks like we're in for a real heat wave this weekend.
Bring it on! I'm ready for it.... for a couple days at least :P

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14222 on: June 27, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I ain't ready for the heat, but I'm ready to smash some record highs and the June all time high. :twothumbs:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14223 on: June 27, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »
St Louis is going to hit near 110 Friday. Talk about heat. Chicago is going to be 103 and Baltimore 101..ick

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #14224 on: June 27, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »
We've already been dealing with the heat; just yesterday it got up to over 100 degrees by 1pm! :wacko: Luckily it's not going to be that hot for the remainder of the week - only up to the low 90s or upper 80s. Today only got up to 87.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14225 on: June 27, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
The heat's been on across most of the country for the past week now (of course, all TWC talked about was Debby, so most of you probably had no idea about it).  Today marked our fourth consecutive hundred-degree day (I know it sounds like nothing when you compare it to last year :P).  Hottest so far has been 106 degrees yesterday, when, kind of like what Stephen said, it was already 100 degrees by noon. :blink:

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14226 on: June 27, 2012, 11:47:16 PM »
Took me ages, but I finally compiled all the major cities (and by that I mean cities in NWS climate reports) and compared forecast highs to their records. The 34 data sets can be found here:

http://theweathercenter.weebly.com/midwest-heat-wave.html

At the moment, 18 of these cities are forecast to break their record highs, and 3 cities forecast to tie.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14227 on: June 28, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
I admire your dedication!  :thumbsup:

I started doing that one night when I had some terrible insomnia, but only for the 3 cities I've lived in.  :)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14228 on: June 28, 2012, 12:31:40 AM »
The timing of our heat wave was pretty horrible with our past records.  For example, the record high for Dallas yesterday and today was a sweltering 113 degrees! :blink:  But rewind just a couple of days, and our record highs were only 102 - 104.  So had this heat wave happened for us just a little sooner, we probably would have broken some records.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen.  It's just HOT. :hmm:

BTW, Mac, absolutely love that table you made! :biggrin:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14229 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »
I'm not a fan of politics but I couldn't help sharing my thoughts. What do you guys think of Obamacare? It's been upheld. According to CNN and even Romney they say it's a disaster in the making. Millions of ppl would lose their employer health insurance because they'd be forced to have this insurance policy. Doesn't look good come November..:/ (feel free to move this post if needed, didn't check the other politicial threads)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14230 on: June 28, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
For those who want a little more detail:

• All parts of the law were upheld - no parts of the law were ruled unconstitutional.
  • The "individual mandate" - although found impermissible in terms of the commerce clause - is still legal as a tax. From Justice Roberts:
    In this case, however, it is reasonable to construe what Congress has done as increasing taxes on those who have a certain amount of income, but choose to go without health insurance. Such legislation is within Congress's power to tax.
  • The law does not order people to buy health care - the government does not have that power, according to SCOTUS - but it does have the power to tax those without health insurance. This is within legal boundaries.
  • From CNN - It also requires individuals to have health insurance, either through their employers or a state-sponsored exchange, or face a fine beginning in 2014.

Some common misconceptions about this law, from Politifact:
1.) An independent payment advisory board created by the health care reform law "can ration care and deny certain Medicare treatments." - Pat Boone
Politifact Rating: Pants On Fire. See the article at http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2012/mar/19/pat-boone/pat-boone-says-health-care-advisory-board-can-rati/.

2.) President Obama’s health care law "represents a government takeover of health care." - Mitt Romney
Politifact Rating: Pants On Fire. The law is not a takeover of health care by the government, especially since the health care law continues to depend on private health insurance and private-sector physicians. (Politifact)

3.) Those who fail to buy health insurance under "Obamacare" face the threat of jail time.  - Bob Marshall
Politifact Rating: Pants on Fire. As stated above, a fine will be instated instead of jail time.

4.) A provision in the health care reform bill for end-of-life counseling for seniors is not "entirely voluntary." - Sarah Palin
Politifact Rating: False. There is nothing in the current law that forces end-of-life counseling. Although there certainly may be pressure to do so from a doctor, the call is entirely up to the patient. (From Politifact)

5.) Up to 20 million people will lose their employee-sponsored health care by 2019. - Chamber of Commerce TV Spot
Rating: Misleading. The Congressional Budget Office did say this is a possible scenario, but it was under the extreme assumption that employers would have a strongly negative reaction to the cost of obtaining health insurance for their workers. The more realistic scenario is still a loss - but only 3 to 5 million. Another scenario - less likely but still possible - is a gain of employee-sponsored health care - up to 3 million more people.

6.) If the Supreme Court throws out the federal health care law, it "would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress." - Barack Obama
Politifact Rating: False. The passing of the law was done by anything but a strong majority. "Obamacare" was passed by a narrow margin of 5 votes - 220 to 215.

If anyone had any questions about it, I hope this clears some things up.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14231 on: June 28, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
I wonder how this would help (or hurt) the healthcare industry as a whole.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14232 on: June 28, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
The timing of our heat wave was pretty horrible with our past records.  For example, the record high for Dallas yesterday and today was a sweltering 113 degrees! :blink:  But rewind just a couple of days, and our record highs were only 102 - 104.  So had this heat wave happened for us just a little sooner, we probably would have broken some records.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen.  It's just HOT. :hmm:

BTW, Mac, absolutely love that table you made! :biggrin:

Thanks, Andy!

I've run the verification for forecast highs. I've gotten all data in except from NWS Dodge City and NWS Wichita. Highs in that region apparently touched 110 at some points. You can view it at the link below. So far, 10 cities have broken records and 6 have tied.

http://theweathercenter.weebly.com/midwest-heat-wave-verification.html
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14233 on: June 28, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
Wow, this past Monday (June 25th) was the 5th anniversary to TWC Today's forums being opened.. guess we've all been so busy or just simply forgotten to remember the date. :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #14234 on: June 29, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »
Happy 5 years to TWCT! Here's to 5 more. You all have been not only fellow members on a forum to me, some of you have become really close friends, a few of you have even helped me out along the way. :)