June 05, 2024, 03:34:57 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787126 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14205 on: June 24, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Victor, I think something happened in the studio that got her upset.  It certainly wasn't the cruise ship itself.  At least she took the initiative to sincerely apologize.

You misinterpreted my post.
And I think you misinterpreted his post. His post was only directed at the first sentence from your above post. ;)

I know about her from not only that video, but from the video where the fire alarm goes off while they are live.

WNBC- FIRE ALARM DURING 11PM NEWS
Ah yes, I like that one too. :bleh:

Let's not forget this one :P

sue simmons falls of chair
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14206 on: June 24, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »
Talk about news bloopers. I was just watching the local WCBS news @ 6:30PM here in New York. They were covering a story about a small fire at LaGuardia Airport. While the news reporter was there, the screen was stuck on a view of the news studio background and a chair by the news desk. And it was stuck on that camera for a full two minutes until they went to commercial break, failing to realize that there was something wrong. Makes me laugh :lol:
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: June 24, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »
Victor, I think something happened in the studio that got her upset.  It certainly wasn't the cruise ship itself.  At least she took the initiative to sincerely apologize.
And I think you misinterpreted his post. His post was only directed at the first sentence from your above post. ;)
No, I didn't. Nobody knows why she yelled the expletive; she never disclosed the reason. I hope you realized I was joking about the cruise ship part because she dropped the f-word when they showed a clip of the cruise ship and it seemed like an awkward moment to be doing something like that

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »
No, I didn't. Nobody knows why she yelled the expletive; she never disclosed the reason. I hope you realized I was joking about the cruise ship part because she dropped the f-word when they showed a clip of the cruise ship and it seemed like an awkward moment to be doing something like that
They moved to a new video/camera control software that day and things were not cooperating and she got frustrated.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: June 24, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »
That's what I heard as well but I never saw an article detailing that

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #14210 on: June 24, 2012, 11:36:57 PM »
Just to let everyone know, I help operate a website, StormChaseTN, where I also own, manage, and maintain a live WeatherCam that updates every 60 seconds from my house. If you want to see what the weather is like in my area, just click the link above (it's also in my signature) and check it out!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14211 on: June 25, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
I talked about this in the Atlanta, GA weather thread, but if you live along the South/Central Plains and the Southeast, get ready to start preparing for this. :o

From the HPC
LOCATIONS FROM THE CENTRAL PLAINS ACROSS THE MID-SOUTH/TENNESSEE
VALLEY INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES AND CAROLINAS ARE EXPECTED TO
BAKE...SIZZLE...AND FRY THIS PERIOD DUE TO A BURGEONING WARM CORE
RIDGE BUILDING ACROSS THE REGION.  THE 00Z ECMWF WAS THE HOTTEST
OF THE CURRENT GUIDANCE...WITH ITS ENSEMBLE MEAN EQUALLY
IMPRESSIVE.
TO ACCOUNT FOR TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCES...WE FOLLOWED
A COMPROMISE OF THE 00Z GEFS MEAN AND 00Z ECMWF. TEMPERATURES AT
THE 850 HPA LEVEL ARE EXPECTED TO BE NEAR 27C/82F...WHICH WOULD
EQUATE TO TEMPERATURES APPROACHING 110F EACH AFTERNOON.
IF DEBBY
DEPARTS FASTER THAN THE NHC FORECAST /OR REMAINS A STRONGER SYSTEM
THAN CURRENTLY ANTICIPATED/ ALONG THE LINES OF THE NON-UKMET
DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE...HIGH TEMPERATURES COULD BE EVEN MORE
IMPRESSIVE IN ITS WAKE ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST AND MID-SOUTH.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: June 25, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »
I think we may see another 106 narration on my IntelliStar, just like last year.

TWC - Memphis IntelliStar- Dangerously Hot Temperatures

I've stopped filming, and essentially watching, TWC; but if the temperature gets over 100, I'll be sure to pull out the PVR.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: June 25, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
I think we may see another 106 narration on my IntelliStar, just like last year.

TWC - Memphis IntelliStar- Dangerously Hot Temperatures

I've stopped filming, and essentially watching, TWC; but if the temperature gets over 100, I'll be sure to pull out the PVR.

Me too, I've never gotten a recording of triple digit heat on the IS before. Hopefully my Hauppauge HD PVR will be here before week's end, if not I'll just have to use my old tuner. Also, wow at that 106 temp in the video. Even more amazing it was only turning 2 o' clock in the afternoon! It was just reaching the peak of daytime heating! :o

EDIT: This is what the HPC is forecasting for Friday.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:45:37 PM by WxSTAR4000FTW »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14214 on: June 25, 2012, 06:31:03 PM »
First time I've seen hail reported at KISP. We didn't get any, but we got some 40-50mph wind gusts.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #14215 on: June 26, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »
Broadcasting in any network is like what you see here.  It's not just NBC.  Everything is about ratings, which is why you see larger turnovers in the workforce within this sector compared to all other fields of work.
A lot of people here don't seem to understand this concept!  This isn't a bash toward anyone, but it's true.  Ratings, ratings, ratings.  Look what's happening (going to happen) over at TODAY on NBC.  Adios, Ann Curry.

At the television station I worked for for about a year and a half, there were SO many changes.  They changed the main anchor team, shuffled meteorologists, went through a handfull of producers, it's nuts.  And yet, I still want to go into this business :P.

Clearly, if any of you saw Sue's goodbye video, she did NOT want to leave.  I used to watch their 11PM newscast when it re-broadcast on PAX years back.  Very professional, and I love her voice.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14216 on: June 26, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
Wow, Kyle, what you mentioned is the exact opposite of what it's like here at WTVT in Tampa! :blink: They have hardly ever shifted anchors or positions, and usually whenever someone leaves that station, it's on the person who's departing and not the executives of the station! Their main anchors have been untouched since before I was born, their chief meteorologist has been untouched since his predecessor retired in the late 90s, and their sports director has been the same since the 90s!

With that in mind, that's why it can be emotional at times for both the rest of the station's staff and the viewers whenever someone departs that station. :P
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: June 26, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
Wow, Kyle, what you mentioned is the exact opposite of what it's like here at WTVT in Tampa! :blink: They have hardly ever shifted anchors or positions, and usually whenever someone leaves that station, it's on the person who's departing and not the executives of the station! Their main anchors have been untouched since before I was born, their chief meteorologist has been untouched since his predecessor retired in the late 90s, and their sports director has been the same since the 90s!

With that in mind, that's why it can be emotional at times for both the rest of the station's staff and the viewers whenever someone departs that station. :P

Our ABC affiliate is like talent-wise. I think that's part of the reason they are the #1 rated in ratings because the newscasters/meteorologists/sports casters are folks they you literally growed up with watching on a regular basis. One of the two longest news anchor vets left back in 2010 and the second is leaving next month, even now I still can't believe she's leaving.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: June 26, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
Same down here with WMC-TV, Zach. The chief meteorologist, Dave Brown, has been working as a meteorologist at that station since 1977. Joe Birch, an anchor for the same station, has been there since 1978!

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #14219 on: June 26, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »

Is that station the number on station?  If so, I would have to say the longevity is also all about ratings.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  That also works in news.  At my station, we were suffering in ratings (number 2).  Since changing anchors, the station has gained in all areas, and they were number one at 5 in May.  The number one station has only changed reporters and their chief meteorologist in the last 3 years.

So yes, I can imagine how emotional it would be for people at the station/viewers when someone who's been there forever leaves or retires :P.