June 06, 2024, 01:08:01 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787863 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14010 on: May 19, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
Mike if ur doing IT, land a job in Japan. They're in desperate need of IT workers :P
I'd have to disagree with that, only because the Japanese Yen is worth a lot less in value than that of the US Dollar. Thus, you receive less quantity of money just for doing something that could be done over here.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14011 on: May 19, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
True..but the job market here is not very good for IT. I know several people who graduated with IT related majors and none of them have landed jobs

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14012 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
True..but the job market here is not very good for IT. I know several people who graduated with IT related majors and none of them have landed jobs
Not really true... IT is actually one of the few industries out there where the number of jobs is still growing, and it will remain that way as long as technology improves. :yes:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14013 on: May 19, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
Not really true... IT is actually one of the few industries out there where the number of jobs is still growing, and it will remain that way as long as technology improves. :yes:
I wouldn't do it either way. Lots of math involved and most of the math is useless because you probably won't need Calc 3 in most cases for your job

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14014 on: May 19, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
I wouldn't do it either way. Lots of math involved and most of the math is useless because you probably won't need Calc 3 in most cases for your job
You obviously don't know how real computer programming can be.  Calculus and linear algebra are critical subjects for computer sciences.  There's way more useful math and logic involved than you realize, and that's why the job market is still growing for them as Mike said.  I even got exposure to those subjects in the computer science classes I had to take for Meteorology, and think about the ITs currently running our weather models that are solving Calculus 3 and 4 equations!

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14015 on: May 20, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »
Patrick summed it up pretty well. Plus I can tolerate math a lot more than writing/reading. :yes:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14016 on: May 20, 2012, 01:27:34 AM »
Patrick summed it up pretty well. Plus I can tolerate math a lot more than writing/reading. :yes:
Lucky!! I'm the opposite :(

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: May 20, 2012, 03:13:37 AM »
Linkin Park to Employ Weather Forecasters on Tour

Maybe we now know why their music was used on TWC?  :bleh:

Also Xfinity in Boston (Suburbs) and Fall River will go All Digital June 19th

After June 19th 2012, equipment may be required to receive ALL channels including Limited Basic channels most of which are located between 2-22, 58 and 95.
Shortly there after (a few months or so) you will see a slew of new High Definition channels.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: May 20, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
Plus I can tolerate math a lot more than writing/reading. :yes:

It's amazing how completely opposite people can be, isn't it?  I love reading and writing, yet the mere thought of math sends me into convulsions.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: May 20, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »
Math ftw, yo. :P

But yeah, I seem to favor mathematics and science more than reading and writing.. English has always been a weak area for me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:32:10 AM by Zach »
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: May 20, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
English has always been a weak area for me,

Just imagine how you'd do reading classical Chinese literature without translation, then. :bleh:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14021 on: May 20, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

Just imagine how you'd do reading classical Chinese literature without translation, then. :bleh:

Well, I can tell you this: my school district no longer teaches spelling and grammar to its students :wacko: instead, they use the CollegeBoard's SpringBoard program in English classes instead of the traditional grammar and literature that should be taught  :ermm:

That curriculum has been in place since my 8th grade year in school and since stepping into 9th grade (because of it), never once have I been taught a new grammar lesson or reiterated on one I've learned in the past :itsok:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14022 on: May 20, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »

It's amazing how completely opposite people can be, isn't it?  I love reading and writing, yet the mere thought of math sends me into convulsions.

You and me are more alike. I love to write, I used to love math and science, high school was enough to help me grow a hatred for it. :P

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: May 20, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »

Well, I can tell you this: my school district no longer teaches spelling and grammar to its students :wacko: instead, they use the CollegeBoard's SpringBoard program in English classes instead of the traditional grammar and literature that should be taught  :ermm:

That curriculum has been in place since my 8th grade year in school and since stepping into 9th grade (because of it), never once have I been taught a new grammar lesson or reiterated on one I've learned in the past :itsok:

That's not only terribly sad, but further proof of why America's schools always rank last when compared to those of other nations.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #14024 on: May 20, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »

You and me are more alike. I love to write, I used to love math and science, high school was enough to help me grow a hatred for it. :P
Same here. I used to love math and science in elementary school, but that changed in high school. Now I like English a lot more, but my undisputed favorite class is still Chinese. :)
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper