June 06, 2024, 02:05:36 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787947 times)

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13995 on: May 13, 2012, 07:55:21 AM »
Well, I've come up with some alternatives for careers in the *knock on wood* event I wouldn't be able to go to college for meteorology. I can go into graphical media, SERT (State Emergency Response Team - Florida), or perhaps even join the air force (my last alternative).

I could even go into college for some other form of broadcast media...

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #13996 on: May 13, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
Interesting, I was thinking of job alternatives just last night. Great minds think alike!

In the event that meteorology wouldn't work out for me, I'd be working as a technician at either ThyssenKrupp Elevator or Simplex Grinnell fire alarms.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #13997 on: May 13, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
In the event that meteorology wouldn't work out for me, I'd be working as a technician at either ThyssenKrupp Elevator or Simplex Grinnell fire alarms.
You would still likely need college schooling for those.. but in the engineering field in lieu of the meteorology field :thumbsup:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #13998 on: May 13, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »
On my local accuweather channel, they were playing Storm Stories this morning. They played it for an hour, then looped back to the weather feed with music. Has anyone heard of Storm Stories playing on channels outside of TWC? The older episodes were my favourite, but they were playing the episode of the March 2006 Missouri tornado

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #13999 on: May 13, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
On my local accuweather channel, they were playing Storm Stories this morning. They played it for an hour, then looped back to the weather feed with music. Has anyone heard of Storm Stories playing on channels outside of TWC? The older episodes were my favourite, but they were playing the episode of the March 2006 Missouri tornado

Occasionally on my TV guide, I've seen syndicated versions of SS airing on my local ABC affiliate as well as on my local MyNetworkTV affiliate (both channels are shared by the same local news group.)
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: May 13, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »
It's been in syndication since 2008. :yes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14001 on: May 13, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »
SS is syndicated on our ABC affiliate WSB-TV since around 2008 or so like Zach mentioned. Usually as of late it's on Weekend Afternoons around 2-3pm (Unless there's like a game on or something) It also comes on at 3-4am Saturday mornings. I don't know if other stations have done this, but I noticed the Chief Met at our ABC affiliate does a little intro from their Storm Track 2 studio generally talking about what SS is before it starts.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #14002 on: May 13, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
I know they played occasionally around 2AM every night a few years ago on Fox 2 Detroit, but I'm not sure if they still do.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #14003 on: May 13, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
You would still likely need college schooling for those.. but in the engineering field in lieu of the meteorology field :thumbsup:
If you do that, Trevor, you might as well just stick with Meteorology.  I am taking the same pre-requisite math and physics classes as engineering majors :P.

I have officially completed the Physics and Calculus sequence for my MET degree.  Thank the good lord.  Now, I just have to get through Differential Equations this summer and I'll complete all the difficult math (minus my actual meteorology classes) for my degree.
Congrats!  All that math will begin to make more sense when you start applying it to your Meteorology courses. ;)

Most definitely.  I'm looking forward to it, surprisingly.  I learn things better when they are relevant (as I am sure most people do).

I've also axed my broadcast journalism minor.  I absolutely hated it after one class!  So, I've decided to minor in geography, which half of the classes are electives, which I am making weather-related.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14004 on: May 13, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
I've also axed my broadcast journalism minor.  I absolutely hated it after one class!  So, I've decided to minor in geography, which half of the classes are electives, which I am making weather-related.
I was able to minor in Mathematics, but everyone has their own preferences here.  Geography does have some relevance with Meteorology, so it's a decent choice.

I'm not sure you all realized it earlier today, but we just passed 14,000 posts on the Front Porch! B)

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #14005 on: May 14, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »
I was able to minor in Mathematics, but everyone has their own preferences here.  Geography does have some relevance with Meteorology, so it's a decent choice.

I'm not sure you all realized it earlier today, but we just passed 14,000 posts on the Front Porch! B)
I did consider a Mathematics minor, but I'm "mathed out."  Quite a few of my meteorology friends are going that route.  It makes sense, because it's only 2 extra classes.  One of the classes I have to take is linear algebra.  I'd rather take the calculus sequence over again than take an algebra class :P.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: May 14, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
Interesting, I was thinking of job alternatives just last night. Great minds think alike!

Good job in planning ahead.. I was clueless in what I wanted to pursue after high school and to this day I'm still in between majors right now. Initially I went for communications to get a job in broadcasting, but it was realized that I could not handle all the writing involved (English is not my strong point). Plus the broadcasting field is highly competitive and hard to land in these days. Now I'm most definitely going to settle in an IT major of sorts, either CIS or computer science. If I do decide to transfer to a university, then I'll probably minor in a natural science. But right now those plans are far from being put together, as I'll likely be staying in community for another 2-3 years or more... only taking 9-10 credit hours at a time in the spring and fall and am working part time throughout the year.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:30:50 PM by Mike M »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14007 on: May 16, 2012, 02:18:41 AM »
For those of you who just finished another year in college, I hope all of you did well!  Enjoy your summer break ahead. B)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14008 on: May 19, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
Linkin Park to Employ Weather Forecasters on Tour

Maybe we now know why their music was used on TWC?  :bleh:

Also Xfinity in Boston (Suburbs) and Fall River will go All Digital June 19th

After June 19th 2012, equipment may be required to receive ALL channels including Limited Basic channels most of which are located between 2-22, 58 and 95.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:50:19 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14009 on: May 19, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
Mike if ur doing IT, land a job in Japan. They're in desperate need of IT workers :P