June 06, 2024, 05:12:29 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788304 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13770 on: March 26, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
Wait, are you guys talking about the normal aerial views or the newer 45° views? :unsure:
We're talking about the normal aerial views. You can check all the satellite photos taken in your area with Google Earth. Just one thing, the dates aren't always correct.
I know that. However, in my area, you have a choice between normal aerial views and the 45° aerial views.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13771 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »
Wait, are you guys talking about the normal aerial views or the newer 45° views? :unsure:
We're talking about the normal aerial views. You can check all the satellite photos taken in your area with Google Earth. Just one thing, the dates aren't always correct.
I know that. However, in my area, you have a choice between normal aerial views and the 45° aerial views.

Is that on Google Earth (the program) or Google maps (the online site)?  I had seen that 45° feature on the maps website I believe and LOVE it (I know Bing has something similar with their Bird's Eye view, but it is very out-of-date).  But I cannot seem to find the feature anywhere on Google Earth. :hmm:

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #13772 on: March 26, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »

Is that on Google Earth (the program) or Google maps (the online site)?  I had seen that 45° feature on the maps website I believe and LOVE it (I know Bing has something similar with their Bird's Eye view, but it is very out-of-date).  But I cannot seem to find the feature anywhere on Google Earth. :hmm:

Yeah, I don't think there's a 45° feature on Google Earth, nor have I seen it on Google Maps, but I don't use Google Maps that much. I know in Google Earth you can "tilt" your view, but it's not a real 45° view. The only 45° viewing feature I've seen is on Bing, which I would agree, is very outdated. From what I've seen, they're pictures from 2004/2005-ish.

EDIT: Nevermind, Google Maps has 45° viewing but it's not for everywhere like where I am located.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:24:15 PM by GTAIVman »
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13773 on: March 26, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »

Yeah, I don't think there's a 45° feature on Google Earth, nor have I seen it on Google Maps, but I don't use Google Maps that much. I know in Google Earth you can "tilt" your view, but it's not a real 45° view. The only 45° viewing feature I've seen is on Bing, which I would agree, is very outdated. From what I've seen, they're pictures from 2004/2005-ish.

EDIT: Nevermind, Google Maps has 45° viewing but it's not for everywhere like where I am located.

One thing I noticed on Bing's 45° (Bird's Eye) view is that the image will change and either become more outdated or more recent if you zoom in and out and even pan far enough in another direction. :blink:  Their maps have often been very inconsistent because a different image from what looks like an entirely different year will show if you pan far enough to one side.  This could, however, be due to the way the maps are assembled.

And can someone please tell me if Google's 45° view works for their location (besides you, Zach, I guess you can get 45° images in your area).  Because I have always tried several spots, including major cities, and the 45° imagery has never been available. <_<

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #13774 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:33 AM »
It works in Memphis and surrounding areas.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13775 on: March 27, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
Did anyone else notice the new icons on Weather.com?

Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13776 on: March 27, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »

Whoa! :blink:  Wonder why the one for the "Current Conditions" isn't updated, though?

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #13777 on: March 27, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »

Whoa! :blink:  Wonder why the one for the "Current Conditions" isn't updated, though?
I wonder as well. These new icons look like the ones from the iPad app.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13778 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
From the looks of it, I think the transition is still being made.  Or perhaps it is a beta test.  Because the only pages that have them so-far are the "Today," "5-Day," and "10-Day" pages, from what I can see.

They definitely look very "app-like," though I think they're slightly different from those used on the iPhone app (not sure about the iPad).  Why does TWC need all these different icon sets? :blink:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13779 on: March 27, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »
Is there something wrong with weather.com now? for some odd reason its taking up a lot of RAM on my computer just by trying to load the page <_<
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #13780 on: March 27, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
From the looks of it, I think the transition is still being made.  Or perhaps it is a beta test.  Because the only pages that have them so-far are the "Today," "5-Day," and "10-Day" pages, from what I can see.

They definitely look very "app-like," though I think they're slightly different from those used on the iPhone app (not sure about the iPad).  Why does TWC need all these different icon sets? :blink:
The iPhone app still uses the icons weather.com had prior to these ones.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13781 on: March 27, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »

The iPhone app still uses the icons weather.com had prior to these ones.

You're right!  I meant to say the mobile version of weather.com. :doh:  They're kind of similar.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13782 on: March 27, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
Not sure if anyone is aware, but Accuweather Manager and Vice President, Ken Reeves, died in a freak accident in his home on Sunday. He was 50. May he R.I.P. :(

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13783 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »
Not sure if anyone is aware, but Accuweather Manager and Vice President, Ken Reeves, died in a freak accident in his home on Sunday. He was 50. May he R.I.P. :(
OH MY GOD!! :wow: I remembered Ken did the "Heads Up" segment with Bernie Rayno.. may he rest in peace and my condolences to his family :cry3:

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13784 on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »
What was the "freak" accident?  Are we allowed to disclose it?  Very sad news.