June 07, 2024, 02:17:07 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789169 times)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13725 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
After 25.5 days of hibernation, ladies and gentlemen, I have returned with a new laptop in tow!  :happy:

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #13726 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:16 PM »
I take it none of you are fans of the death penalty? I sure am. He killed a cop - he definitely deserves to die.

Edit - Although, even if it wasn't a cop, I still believe in the death penalty.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: September 21, 2011, 11:36:21 PM »
I take it none of you are fans of the death penalty? I sure am. He killed a cop - he definitely deserves to die.

I don't have a problem with the death penalty. What I DO have a problem with is that all these recants from witnesses and jurors have created enough doubt that would warrant a review of the case. It's sorta like the Casey Anthony case: too much doubt for me and a lot of other people.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13728 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:09 PM »

What about the people who kill several people and only get life in prison? That's the case with Brian Nichols, who back in March 2005 killed a courtroom judge, courtroom sheriff, a lady who was in the courtroom, and a FBI agent while he was fleeing the scene yet GA doesn't seem anxious about sticking a needle in his arm. Nichols deserves the death penalty more than Davis does. It would have been better just giving him life than executing him. He already lost 22 years of his freedom he'll never get back anyway.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13729 on: September 21, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »

I don't have a problem with the death penalty. What I DO have a problem with is that all these recants from witnesses and jurors have created enough doubt that would warrant a review of the case. It's sorta like the Casey Anthony case: too much doubt for me and a lot of other people.
There were enough appeals, and if every level of the court said he's guilty, then he's guilty.

What about the people who kill several people and only get life in prison? That's the case with Brian Nichols, who back in March 2005 killed a courtroom judge, courtroom sheriff, a lady who was in the courtroom, and a FBI agent while he was fleeing the scene yet GA doesn't seem anxious about sticking a needle in his arm. Nichols deserves the death penalty more than Davis does. It would have been better just giving him life than executing him. He already lost 22 years of his freedom he'll never get back anyway.
You must have missed this part of my post:

You kill someone, you should get killed back. Especially if it's a cop. Richard Poplawski was just sentenced to death last month for the death of three Pittsburgh cops in 2009, and I couldn't be happier. The trial for an accused Penn Hills cop killer from 2010 starts this fall. If he's found guilty, he should be sentenced to death as well.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
No matter how heinous a crime is, or how evil a person is, I do not wish death on anybody. I have no bones about saying that. And imagine if years down the road, it was proved that Davis really didn't do it? They couldn't even find a weapon!!!!!!  :angry:
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13731 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
No matter how heinous a crime is, or how evil a person is, I do not wish death on anybody. I have no bones about saying that. And imagine if years down the road, it was proved that Davis really didn't do it? They couldn't even find a weapon!!!!!!  :angry:
I respect your opinion. But, you can prove a crime without a weapon.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #13732 on: September 22, 2011, 12:13:42 AM »
I'm kinda neutral on the death penalty. I am all for death of a criminal if he commits an unimaginable act like killing a cop or another respected figure, goes on a mass murder spree or does domestic terrorism. We have no benefit into keeping these tightwads into our society. And as for race, I could care less of the criminal's race. Regardless of race, he/she did a hainous act and should be punished to the fullest extent of it. Critique me if you want.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: September 22, 2011, 12:31:21 AM »

I respect your opinion. But, you can prove a crime without a weapon.

But why was there no DNA and blood linked to Troy Davis, either? Also, why did seven of nine witnesses dispute all or parts of their testimony. That is why there is an uproar, beyond just the death penalty.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/20/troy-davis-denied-clemency_n_971349.html

- From "Moesha"

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13734 on: September 22, 2011, 01:03:06 AM »
I'm not going to debate the case itself.  It was tried in criminal court by a jury of his peers. He had a fair trial and several fair appeals.

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13735 on: September 22, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
I had a creepy dream last night...

First, somebody sends me a message on Facebook that says, "i am rich! my friends, i will be by get my possessions soon!" I think he has the wrong person.

I then look out the window to see someone breaking into the house next door. We sneak out the back and call 911 and get our neighbor. All three of us get a gun. The idiot begins to break into my room (did I mention all of this in the broad daylight?). I don't recall anything else because I either woke up or the dream stopped like a film.

Now I'm paranoid.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13736 on: September 22, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »
I am all for death of a criminal if he commits an unimaginable act like killing a cop or another respected figure, goes on a mass murder spree or does domestic terrorism.
Personally I value taking anyones life as an unimaginable act, not just if they are a cop or respected figure. I never understood why the legal systems values one life over another based on that. A life is a life. Doesn't matter if its Bob who works at the paper mill or Bob who is a famous actor.
So if I go kill 50 people for no reason at all in cold blood you support the government paying my food, water, clothing, medical care and security requirements for the rest of my life? Why not put that money towards the poor or programs to help troubled kids before they make a bad decision in life? I respect people who value life but if you are going to kill someone you forfeit the right to live in my opinion. The world is not perfect and we have to make tough decisions in life. The good of the masses sometimes outweighs the individual.

Now this is a heated topic and sensitive issues. We all have our different opinions and in this case I think we all need to agree to disagree. The porch is about to close so I suggest we talk about other subjects ;)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: September 22, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
After 25.5 days of hibernation, ladies and gentlemen, I have returned with a new laptop in tow!  :happy:
Awesome! What did you get?

I had a creepy dream last night...

First, somebody sends me a message on Facebook that says, "i am rich! my friends, i will be by get my possessions soon!" I think he has the wrong person.

I then look out the window to see someone breaking into the house next door. We sneak out the back and call 911 and get our neighbor. All three of us get a gun. The idiot begins to break into my room (did I mention all of this in the broad daylight?). I don't recall anything else because I either woke up or the dream stopped like a film.

Now I'm paranoid.
Dreams can be crazy things :P

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: September 22, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
I am all for death of a criminal if he commits an unimaginable act like killing a cop or another respected figure, goes on a mass murder spree or does domestic terrorism.
Personally I value taking anyones life as an unimaginable act, not just if they are a cop or respected figure. I never understood why the legal systems values one life over another based on that. A life is a life. Doesn't matter if its Bob who works at the paper mill or Bob who is a famous actor.
So if I go kill 50 people for no reason at all in cold blood you support the government paying my food, water, clothing, medical care and security requirements for the rest of my life? Why not put that money towards the poor or programs to help troubled kids before they make a bad decision in life? I respect people who value life but if you are going to kill someone you forfeit the right to live in my opinion. The world is not perfect and we have to make tough decisions in life. The good of the masses sometimes outweighs the individual.
If Troy Davis really did it, he should spend life in prison. But don't you think it is rather troubling how many witnesses recanted and how shoddy the evidence was, and yet they went ahead and executed him?  :dunno:  That's my final two cents on this topic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:38:02 PM by TampaMillTWC88 »

- From "Moesha"

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: September 22, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »
Is anyone else dealing with all of this rain? I swear I don't think I have had a full day of sun in weeks!