June 06, 2024, 11:11:14 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788942 times)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #12975 on: March 31, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
Really? We had to do that Feb. 28, when a giant storm blew threw Chattanooga during the afternoon. My only beef: we were told to stay in the classrooms - with GLASS WINDOWS - instead of going out into the hallway. The windows were flexing, the storm was so bad.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #12976 on: March 31, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Really? We had to do that Feb. 28, when a giant storm blew threw Chattanooga during the afternoon. My only beef: we were told to stay in the classrooms - with GLASS WINDOWS - instead of going out into the hallway. The windows were flexing, the storm was so bad.

They obviously don't pay attention to severe weather awareness or they would know one of the first DON'Ts of tornado safety is that you shouldn't hide in rooms where there are windows because that's how you increase injuries/fatalities from open air debris or the glass itself if it shatters around you.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12977 on: March 31, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »
I don't understand why our school doesn't do tornado drills. Sure, they don't happen often or anything, but severe weather safety should still be known about in schools. :yes:

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #12978 on: March 31, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »
I don't understand why our school doesn't do tornado drills. Sure, they don't happen often or anything, but severe weather safety should still be known about in schools. :yes:
Our school has only done 1 tornado drill this year, and that was in December. In October, there really was a tornado warning and nobody knew where to go. It really is a good idea for schools to have at least 1 tornado, fire, and lockdown drill each quarter or trimester.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12979 on: March 31, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »
Our school has only done 1 tornado drill this year, and that was in December. In October, there really was a tornado warning and nobody knew where to go. It really is a good idea for schools to have at least 1 tornado, fire, and lockdown drill each quarter or trimester.
We have a lockdown and fire drill every month in the school year as required by the state of NJ. I think it's important that all states follow similar procedures as the safety of everyone can make a huge impact if a real fire or bomb did happen..

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12980 on: March 31, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »
But of course, a lot of schools just say, "Why? I mean, it's not gonna happen to us." In defense of my school, though, it is private, and they DID get caught off guard, big time. Literally, it was mostly cloudy one minute, and pitch black the next.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12981 on: March 31, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
We have a lockdown and fire drill every month in the school year as required by the state of NJ. I think it's important that all states follow similar procedures as the safety of everyone can make a huge impact if a real fire or bomb did happen..

Wow...every month? :o That seems very frequent, considering we do have fire drills and lockdown drills, but only like twice a year.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12982 on: March 31, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »

Wow...every month? :o That seems very frequent, considering we do have fire drills and lockdown drills, but only like twice a year.
Yeah, but you never know what can happen, especially if your school is in a high crime area.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #12983 on: March 31, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »

Yeah, but you never know what can happen, especially if your school is in a high crime area.
Or in a high severe weather area, like SE Michigan in April-June and October. February, March and April is really when schools should start to practice their severe weather drills.

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #12984 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
In middle and high school we never had severe weather drills until a tornado hit my school in 2001. I can only remember having one or two severe weather drills in middle school, and those were in the months following the tornado. I think the tornado damaging the school was a temporary wake-up call to the administration to hold drills, but it was short-lived, for we never had the drills in high school.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #12985 on: March 31, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »

We have fire drills on a monthly basis too, we had a tornado drill last month for Severe Weather Awareness Week, I think they did a statewide Tornado Siren test that week also. We haven't had a bomb drill yet, we only had that once last year. Speaking of lockdown, my school was in code red today we didn't know if it was a drill or not, but apparently somebody did try to come into the school with a gun.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #12986 on: April 01, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
Hey, what is today?

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #12987 on: April 01, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12988 on: April 01, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
My schools were so old that they were bult to have bombshelters. My middle school was 1918 and my high school was 1911. It would have taken a nuke to cause some major damage. We had tornado drills every now and then though.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #12989 on: April 02, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
Hey, what is today?
I believe you were either looking for:
"It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday" (that song)

or

April Fools Day.

:P