June 06, 2024, 02:10:12 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787958 times)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #12675 on: August 19, 2010, 07:53:43 PM »
Hey everyone.  I have a question for you all.  Is there currently a 'duopoly'within your television market?  This basically means one station doing news for themselves and another station?  The station I work at is going to start doing news for the local Fox afilliate, and I am just curious how duoplies work out in other markets.
Yes, our NBC affiliate does news for our MyTV affiliate, as well as our CBS affiliate doing newscasts for the CW affiliate.
There's more to it than that... CBS owns BOTH our CBS and CW affiliates.

http://www.stormreports.org/grearth.htm :wub: :wub:
I want. NAO. :wub:

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #12676 on: August 19, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »
Hey everyone.  I have a question for you all.  Is there currently a 'duopoly'within your television market?  This basically means one station doing news for themselves and another station?  The station I work at is going to start doing news for the local Fox afilliate, and I am just curious how duoplies work out in other markets.

Eyewitness News (WLMT-TV Memphis) broadcasts on WPXX-TV Memphis

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #12677 on: August 20, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
In Chicago, WMAQ-TV (NBC) and WSNS-TV (Telemundo) are both owned by NBC Universal. However, they both have their own news programs, so I don't think it counts as a duopoly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:47:14 AM by TWC and Apple 4eva »
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12678 on: August 20, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I refuse to use Youtube these days. I hate the new interface that went live. You can't find any content thats not filtered. The "Most Viewed" stuff in the past has conveniently been from the same 10 people usually. I also can't stand the yellow/green/etc backgrounds with some ugly image rather than just a screenshot from the video. OMG SX WITH YOUR MOM? titles are soo annoying as well. But I guess its all about getting more views and thus more money. What a shame

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12679 on: August 20, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
I refuse to use Youtube these days. I hate the new interface that went live. You can't find any content thats not filtered. The "Most Viewed" stuff in the past has conveniently been from the same 10 people usually. I also can't stand the yellow/green/etc backgrounds with some ugly image rather than just a screenshot from the video. OMG SX WITH YOUR MOM? titles are soo annoying as well. But I guess its all about getting more views and thus more money. What a shame

Another thing I should note about Youtube is that every time I search for content, I get results not knowing that the video has already been taken down by Youtube (due to copyright reasons, etc). Once I click the video that "says" it's available, I get a huge note that says "THE VIDEO YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS NOT AVAILABLE". I think I ranted about this before. But it still bothers me today. Youtube needs to clean up their search results.

My account there has been inactive, as I stopped uploading videos for several reasons. But it still doesn't stop me for watching them since it's the most popular video site on the internet.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12680 on: August 20, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
Its just so hard to find stuff to watch now thats not from a "Youtube Partner". The interface to browse most viewed videos now is horrible

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12681 on: August 20, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »
Its just so hard to find stuff to watch now thats not from a "Youtube Partner". The interface to browse most viewed videos now is horrible
Speaking of which i actually qualify to be one. it doesnt bring up that notice saying I unlikely qualify anymore. Probably cuz i have over 200 subscribers and over 100,000 video views

i wont apply though cuz id need to remove all my TWC vids :P
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12682 on: August 20, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »
I got the same thing but declined it. They say that they would pay you for this feature..not sure if its legit.

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #12683 on: August 20, 2010, 03:59:11 PM »
I got the same thing but declined it. They say that they would pay you for this feature..not sure if its legit.

They do pay you, part of becoming a partner is that you get a cut of the ad revenue from your videos. However you can't have any copyrighted or non original videos on your profile if you are a partner.

Offline Jonathon

• Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12684 on: August 20, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »
My internet keeps going down every day. It's driving me nuts. It's works fine for a few hours, then it goes down. Honestly, I think my modem's dieing or it's WOW!'s internet. I may need to get a new modem. I hate this modem! :censored:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12685 on: August 20, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »
My internet keeps going down every day. It's driving me nuts. It's works fine for a few hours, then it goes down. Honestly, I think my modem's dieing or it's WOW!'s internet. I may need to get a new modem. I hate this modem! :censored:
What is your modem's model?

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #12686 on: August 20, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »
What is your modem's model?
It's a Scientific Atlanta modem, but I don't have the modem's model number.
EDIT: The modem is a Scientific Atlanta WebStar DPX100. I looked at the bottom, and it was the correct model.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:25:18 PM by Jonathonstorm99 »

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12687 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15:35 PM »
Modems shouldnt go down unless theres an absense of lights to them or if one of the lights is blinking that shouldnt be

I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #12688 on: August 20, 2010, 10:12:04 PM »
Modems shouldnt go down unless theres an absense of lights to them or if one of the lights is blinking that shouldnt be
What you said is close to what my modem does. When it messes up, the modem logo on my router flashes. Then I have to unplug it. But it reboots all by itself sometimes. I need to get a new modem soon. :whistling2: All the lights stop blinking, they're just static. First, the light that is for power is the only one that is on. Then, all four lights are static. Then they go back to blinking per normal. :yes: The modem is close to dieing. WOW! might have some new modems that I want.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:23:47 PM by Jonathonstorm99 »

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12689 on: August 21, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »
I dunno if Directv is inserting local stuff into the :17/:47 inserts on TWC cuz i saw this after reviewing my PME recording from this evening