April 28, 2024, 09:18:58 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1770868 times)

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #12360 on: July 07, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
Hey everyone, I know I don't post much, if at all, but I've got a question.  You've all been (or still are) in elementary school/early junior high/middle school.  I'm an instructor at a local daycare, and we're doing a weather/seasons week soon.  My question is, do you all have any ideas of simple, inexpensive activities that relate to weather that I could do with the kids?  Thanks for your suggestions in advance!  PM me if there's an idea or few that you've got! 

PS:  the age range of the kids is 5 (kindergarten) through 12.
The classic Tornado in a bottle (when you attach two 2 liter bottles together) is always fun! I remember doing that in elementary school. Its a cheap and neat activity to try :)

My science teacher bought these things that screw the two bottles together...I think they're from Steve Spangler. No guarantees on its origin, but it's a lot less messy.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #12361 on: July 07, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
What I did one time was take a 24 oz water bottle, fill 25% of the bottle with soap and the other 75% with water, shake it, turn it upside-down, and shake in rotation. (I know, it's complicated :P)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #12362 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
In 4th grade, we had a 7 day forecast up in our room, with velcro icons and temperatures, and we had a class meterologist (which was me  :whistling:) who looked up the forecast and arranged the 7 day forecast. I don't know if that would work with your younger group, though.  :no:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:00:12 PM by TWCFreak »

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #12363 on: July 07, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
This past year, we had a 7 day forecast up in our room, with velcro icons and temperatures, and we had a class meterologist (which was me  :whistling:) who looked up the forecast and arranged the 7 day forecast. I don't know if that would work with your younger group, though.  :no:

That sounds a little young for your age, Trevor. But it's also a bit too old for a preschool, most likely. Could be a way to teach a little number identification. I'd give the age group for that as 6-9. Before, it's almost impossible to them. After, it's just stupid to them.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: July 07, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »
This past year, we had a 7 day forecast up in our room, with velcro icons and temperatures, and we had a class meterologist (which was me  :whistling:) who looked up the forecast and arranged the 7 day forecast. I don't know if that would work with your younger group, though.  :no:

That sounds a little young for your age, Trevor. But it's also a bit too old for a preschool, most likely. Could be a way to teach a little number identification. I'd give the age group for that as 6-9. Before, it's almost impossible to them. After, it's just stupid to them.

I meant the year before last (4th grade)  :bleh:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: July 07, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
For the first time in a year, I can pick up my CBS affiliate over the air! :dance: I looked on WinTV's signal indicator and it came in pretty good. :yes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12366 on: July 07, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
Hey everyone, I know I don't post much, if at all, but I've got a question.  You've all been (or still are) in elementary school/early junior high/middle school.  I'm an instructor at a local daycare, and we're doing a weather/seasons week soon.  My question is, do you all have any ideas of simple, inexpensive activities that relate to weather that I could do with the kids?  Thanks for your suggestions in advance!  PM me if there's an idea or few that you've got! 

The classic Tornado in a bottle (when you attach two 2 liter bottles together) is always fun! I remember doing that in elementary school. Its a cheap and neat activity to try :)

My science teacher bought these things that screw the two bottles together...I think they're from Steve Spangler. No guarantees on its origin, but it's a lot less messy.
Duck tape works too :P

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #12367 on: July 07, 2010, 09:04:13 PM »

Martin, there are so many different meanings to that, many of which I will NOT detail. Haha...I know what you're talking about. :P

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:34 PM »

Martin, there are so many different meanings to that, many of which I will NOT detail. Haha...I know what you're talking about. :P

Oh no! Why would you even begin to think about it that way? :wall: :bleh:

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #12369 on: July 07, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »

Oh no! Why would you even begin to think about it that way? :wall: :bleh:

I'm 14! xD :P

Offline narunetto

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 706
  • SD Channel #: 78
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #12370 on: July 08, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
Just thought I'd share a preview of something I've been working on.

http://youtu.be/AmO-2sxsWTU

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #12371 on: July 09, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »
Just thought I'd share a preview of something I've been working on.

http://youtu.be/AmO-2sxsWTU

Neat! B)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: July 09, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
It seems my living room TV cannot deinterlace HD signals real well. :doh2:

Offline brbjambajuice

• Sunny!
    • View Profile
    • Grapple Website
  • HD Channel #: nope
  • SD Channel #: 61
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22884
« Reply #12373 on: July 09, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
I got my copy of Ubuntu 10.04 in the mail today. I installed it on the secondary drive in my PC and it runs GREAT! I even tried a 3D virtual world online game, and I got 50-80 fps on high, versus 50-60.

3:19 joshua8790: Who put the in n out secrets as topic? xD
3:30 joshua8790: Wow, power surge
3:31 SpringRubberMB: it's all of the burger greatness messing with your power
3:32 Ferret95|XP: eh vood lek du beh eh damburger!

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #12374 on: July 09, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »
Anyone ever see a Low Ground Clearance sign before?

I spotted two of these on what is probably the poorest state-maintained road in the county.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!