April 28, 2024, 08:35:40 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1770824 times)

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #12105 on: June 20, 2010, 05:46:13 AM »
Well what I want to know is how another student my age somehow transferred from a job at a movie theater in Okemos to a Hollister there. It would be nice to work there.

But yeah, I should start applying everywhere. Trouble is, I'm behind in just about everything- driving, a job, you name it. Hopefully something comes up this year. I need to start paying for the gas for my travels, and $25 every 4 days is not quite enough.

Also, it apparently took me 2 days to publish all the raw files I caught in Haslett Friday night. This is more than I have caught in 2 months.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:01:29 AM by wxntrafficfan »
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: June 20, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
But yeah, I should start applying everywhere. Trouble is, I'm behind in just about everything- driving, a job, you name it. Hopefully something comes up this year. I need to start paying for the gas for my travels, and $25 every 4 days is not quite enough.
What's wrong with your parents? They make you pay everything it seems :wacko:

I'll never work at a fast food restaurant. Whenever I eat their food, I always get heartburn. I'm looking at working at supermarkets or Wawas.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:46:13 AM by Mike M »

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12107 on: June 20, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
Hehe, they're not that bad. They're just teaching me the classic value of the dollar. I feel a little guilty making them spend over $100 every time I want to leave Lansing.

And yeah, I am not at all crazy about working around Fast Food. Too greasy, and fattening for me to even walk in the door. But you know the saying, "desperate times call for desperate measures".
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12108 on: June 20, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »
I'll never work at a fast food restaurant. Whenever I eat their food, I always get heartburn. I'm looking at working at supermarkets or Wawas.
Neither would I, but many people just want the money.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12109 on: June 20, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »
Wow, I hope I can finally be doing a summer job or volunteer to get community service hours so I'm not at home doing nothing! :happy:
Not a lot of people would be hiring 15 year olds, so I would do some volunteering...

I am always tired now, I don't know why. Now my day consists of watching the TV, being on the computer, eating, or sleeping. What a healthy combination :P
Same here, except I do have tennis for two hours on the weekdays. I guess you can call my sleep schedule erratic, like the longform LF schedule- all over the place and wherever I feel like placing it in :P

Wow, I hope I can finally be doing a summer job or volunteer to get community service hours so I'm not at home doing nothing! :happy:
Yeah, I wish I could get a job too. Not many options paid or not paid around here, as I have found out.
I would apply everywhere, even if it's not posted somewhere that they're hiring. Most employers keep applications anywhere between 45-90 days, in case an opening comes up. Also, apply everywhere, even fast food. Remember, in this economy, it's best to take whatever you can get. Home Depot is not my dream job, and I may not 100% like it, but it's the only place that actually called back for an interview, so I'm not going to leave it any time soon, until the economy improves. A job is a job.
Very well said Jesse. I look forward to do some community service this summer as well but everywhere is out of walking distance from where I live which is the only thing hindering me right now. I applied at 4 places that were actually hiring but got nothing back, so maybe I will try later in the fall for a job.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12110 on: June 20, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »
I'm probably gonna have to apply at McDonalds right down the street where I live. The economy here in my area has been hit hard and will continue to get hit hard. But like the superkitteh said, you just have to get what's left. I'm expecting a "call back" from the bookstore this coming Friday but I highly doubt I'd get a call-back, because last Wednesday, I had a group interview, and about 80 people showed up for that interview! So... there's my hope right there. :(
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: June 20, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
I'm probably gonna have to apply at McDonalds right down the street where I live. The economy here in my area has been hit hard and will continue to get hit hard. But like the superkitteh said, you just have to get what's left. I'm expecting a "call back" from the bookstore this coming Friday but I highly doubt I'd get a call-back, because last Wednesday, I had a group interview, and about 80 people showed up for that interview! So... there's my hope right there. :(
if they don't call you on that Friday, YOU call them back that following Monday and kindly ask about how things are coming alonjg and if they have made a decision. It shows initiative, which is a plus.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12112 on: June 20, 2010, 12:43:56 PM »
if they don't call you on that Friday, YOU call them back that following Monday and kindly ask about how things are coming alonjg and if they have made a decision. It shows initiative, which is a plus.

That is how my mom got her job. She applied at a local store in person and they said they would call but they never did. So she called them and asked if there was any news, and they said there were 2 positions left and that if she came over the next day, they would interview her. Next day, she got the job. :happy:

Anyways, sorry to change the subject but I have a hard time believing this. I saw this from the Taiganet forums, and someone there speculated a tsunami filled with methane gas could kill millions along the Gulf, which is total BS
http://www.helium.com/items/1864136-how-the-ultimate-bp-gulf-disaster-could-kill-millions?page=2

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12113 on: June 20, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »

My friends were telling me the same. So, I shall do that. I'm still keeping my hopes up here! :happy:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #12114 on: June 20, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
Jesse is 100% correct; get whatever you can get.  As Jesse also stated, it is VERY difficult to get a job at 15.  I applied to three places when I was 15, and would call, and they said they aren't hiring 15 year olds at the moment.  Luckily, my neighbor let me work at her day care over that summer at 15, and THANKFULLY my last day at my neighbor's day care was my first day at my first "real job."  It was at fast food, which I tried so hard to avoid.  While I did not like it, I still had to go in with an open mind, and I did.  When I left, I was making $2.50 MORE than I was when I started.  Hard work pays off.

Basically, Jesse hit it right on the head.  Persistence pays off.  I waited FOUR months for the job I have now.  I kept calling until they said they would call me back when they had an opening. 

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #12115 on: June 20, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
I'll never work at a fast food restaurant. Whenever I eat their food, I always get heartburn.

Just because you would work at a fast food place doesn't mean you have to eat the food. Money is money. :wacko:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12116 on: June 20, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »

Wow you drive a lot. Where are you going that you need to drive that much?

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: June 20, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
$25 every 4 days is not quite enough.
That's basically all you're gonna find when you first get a job. As you get more experienced you'll get paid more. :yes:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: June 20, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »
$25 every 4 days is not quite enough.
That's basically all you're gonna find when you first get a job. As you get more experienced you'll get paid more. :yes:
I would hope so. Thing is, I've had the same mowing job at the church here since June 2007.
I know you're not expecting a raise from mowing a yard/lawn, right? It doesn't work like that...

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12119 on: June 20, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
Yes, I know what he meant.
TWC in...