June 06, 2024, 06:48:35 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788545 times)

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #12030 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
It seems as though every time I call about some sort of an issue, I'm told that Comcast is receiving "higher than normal call volume". The automated service said that I would be on hold for more than 10 minutes. Shouldn't Comcast take a hint from this?

Speaking of cable, I noticed in the past month or so that these thick cables that are orange and black in color are being placed underground along the outside of my subdivision. Are these fiber-optic cables?
I would assume so, but I'm not really sure.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #12031 on: June 17, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »
Comcast in Pittsburgh has went completely digital. Now, if you just have a cable hookup and no converter or STB, the only channels you can get are local ones (2-CSPAN, 5-WPCB, 6-KDKA, 7-WPGH, 8-WTAE, 9-WQED, 10-WPMY, 12-WPXI, 15-WPCW, 98-Ed/Gov't). Thats TEN channels. You can't even get TWC (16) without a converter box anymore.

Prior to the coversion, Comcast customers in Pittsburgh could get channels 2-99 without a box.

Speaking of cable, I noticed in the past month or so that these thick cables that are orange and black in color are being placed underground along the outside of my subdivision. Are these fiber-optic cables?
Seen any Verizon trucks in the area recently? Could be Verizon wiring for FiOS.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12032 on: June 17, 2010, 07:30:41 PM »
If you're lucky enough, TWC and or Weatherscan (if you have it) could be ClearQAM channels. :thumbsup:

Down here in FiOS preparation areas with orange conduit, there are signs placed into the ground at both ends of the streets of who's contracting the installation and will more than likely say Verizon somewhere on them. 
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12033 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
The trucks don't have a Verizon logo on them, but before installation they had orange markings on the grass with little orange Verizon flags on the ground.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #12034 on: June 17, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
In Lansing, we were able to get two digital cable boxes, in addition to two digital transport adapters, free of charge. We also swapped out a digital cable box for an HD box, again free of charge. My dad and I walked into the Comcast office between Lansing and the E.L. this afternoon, and were told we could only have two digital transport adapters, and a digital cable box would cost $7.95 more per month.
You seem to be close enough to me that these figures should be the same, so here goes.

You should only be getting 1 SD box + 2 DTAs free from Comcast.  Additional boxes are $7.95, DTAs $1.95.  HD is $7.95 one-box fee.  So in your situation you should be charged $7.95 total for 1 free SD box + 1 HD box + 2 DTAs.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12035 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
Well all I can say is we got lucky somehow. Apparently what the woman behind the counter at the Comcast office had told me is wrong... the DTA can tune to channel 99 (CBC).
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12036 on: June 17, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
Well all I can say is we got lucky somehow. Apparently what the woman behind the counter at the Comcast office had told me is wrong... the DTA can tune to channel 99 (CBC).
Yeah, I get plenty of channels beyond channel 65 with the DTAs at my dad's house. Still wish we had Weatherscan on it. It's still on analog channel 120 (likely serving as a test channel) along with the ~25 local channels.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12037 on: June 18, 2010, 03:12:42 AM »
Whoo! The 99th Graduating Class of Maury High in Norfolk has graduated :D Yesterday was awesome.
Congrats!
Thanks! :)
Finals=done :D
Congrats!

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 64
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24688
« Reply #12038 on: June 18, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »
Ugh I'm never buying another laptop from HP again, I had to send it in for the 2nd time and it isn't even 2 years old. The first time The sound, CD Drive, safety functions, and it wouldn't boot half the time freezing at where it fades into the loading thingy. This time it's graphics card failure, then the whole motherboard fails. Glad I got that 3 year warranty.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12039 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:53 AM »
I'm on the fence about where I stand with HP. I'm honestly starting to believe that it was my own carelessness and the fact that I did not know much about computers that caused many of my problems the past few months.
TWC in...

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12040 on: June 18, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
I hate HP Support, too. I had to call 4 times to get them to send out a box because apparently graphics cards failing and the motherboard crapping itself is a software problem.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12041 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »
I haven't had much problems with my HP, but I regret getting a Compaq. They're terribly slow and don't last that long. The first Compaq I had, I had to replace the optical drive. Then the motherboard went on the fritz. On this one, the PS/2 mouse port and the rear audio out port are bad. Of course, I didn't know as much about computers when I bought this back in 2005. I'm going for a Dell next time :)

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12042 on: June 18, 2010, 08:43:25 AM »
Someone I know had a Compaq the HD went out the first time, then the motherboard went out. They wound up replacing the whole PC. I haven't had problems with HP except with this laptop, I even have an old HP desktop that still works. :O I must have bought a cursed laptop.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12043 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
I don't know that I care for Dell computers. What really sold me with the laptop that I bought was the touch screen control panel. It is so neat to only have to touch a spot above my keyboard and turn down the audio right then and there. Only HP computers have that from what I have seen, and I haven't seen it on Dell.
TWC in...

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #12044 on: June 18, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »
I haven't had much problems with my HP, but I regret getting a Compaq. They're terribly slow and don't last that long. The first Compaq I had, I had to replace the optical drive. Then the motherboard went on the fritz. On this one, the PS/2 mouse port and the rear audio out port are bad. Of course, I didn't know as much about computers when I bought this back in 2005. I'm going for a Dell next time :)
Remember this: Compaq and HP are owned by the same company. Compaq computers/notebooks are low end, HPs are higher end.