June 06, 2024, 01:30:47 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787893 times)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #11910 on: June 07, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
I still have my Palm Centro since i bought it on October 22nd, 2007

Offline Robert

• Everyday I'm Shufflin'
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 974
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #11911 on: June 07, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
I just recently got the HTC Evo.  :D Really nice phone I must say. My mom couldn't afford paying our iPhone plan that we had so I had to go with my dad on his Sprint family plan.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11912 on: June 07, 2010, 05:08:51 PM »
iPhone 4 isn't very impressive.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #11913 on: June 07, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »
Eh.  More aesthetics than meat.  But hey, Farmville for the iPhone. :thumbsdown:

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #11914 on: June 07, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
Eh.  More aesthetics than meat.  But hey, Farmville for the iPhone. :thumbsdown:

Totally agree. That's just one thing I hate about the new iPhone. I'd rather see a separate PC game on FarmVille rather than an iPhone app. It's stupid.

What I love about the new iPhone: MULTITASKING! ^_^
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: June 07, 2010, 07:30:14 PM »
What I love about the new iPhone: MULTITASKING! ^_^
Kind of. Its more like app pausing with enhanced notifications. Its better but still not like it should be. 5MP camera? Come on they should have put 8! Video chatting is nice but its only over wifi. I would have considered switching to AT&T if they hadn't dropped their unlimited plans. Too little too late for me. Definitely sticking with my carrier and if I can get the iPhone, jailbreak it and use it with my carrier without paying half a grand, perhaps ill upgrade

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #11916 on: June 07, 2010, 11:05:23 PM »
Would anyone happen to know why Malcolm in the Middle is playing in Spanish on Nick at Nite?  :huh: :dunno:

EDIT: Hmm, it's definitely something on their end, their commercials were mute earlier.  :thinking:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:14:04 PM by SnowManiac »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #11917 on: June 08, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »
5MP camera? Come on they should have put 8! Video chatting is nice but its only over wifi. I would have considered switching to AT&T if they hadn't dropped their unlimited plans. Too little too late for me. Definitely sticking with my carrier and if I can get the iPhone, jailbreak it and use it with my carrier without paying half a grand, perhaps ill upgrade

Really? I bet you the 5MP camera in the iPhone 4 would beat the 8MP camera in the Evo. There's more to a camera than megapixels. Buying a phone/camera based on MP is like buying a car based on HP.

At first I was a bit skeptical about AT&T dropping the unlimited plans but think about it. How often would you use more than 2GB of data on your PHONE in one month? I know I don't, I just checked my last AT&T bill and I used 54,398kb, I'm glad that my bill will actually go down now.

Most of the crap the iPhone is getting is total BS. People just want something to b*@#h about, it happens with every device Apple makes.

Here's my opinion of iPhone 4. It's not very 'surprising', there really isn't that 'WOW' thing that makes people really want it, there are though some features that are pretty cool like the display, squeezing 960x640 resolution into that space makes the display have the same clarity as print! FaceTime is cool however I doubt I'll ever use it, mainly because at the current moment I only know one other person with an iPhone, and they have a 3G. I'm glad their finally doing multitasking but again, I probably will rarely use more than one app at a time anyway, but the execution is awesome.

*rant over*

Okay now on to some weather topics... I'm sure some of you saw on the news the Tornado outbreak in NW Ohio on Saturday, you may have heard about Delta, OH or Lake Township. I work in Delta, where one tornado hit, and am about 15 minutes from Lake Township. The damage in Delta wasn't too bad, it was a very rural area that was hit so I think only a few barns where knocked over, most of the damage was trees. The real damage was in Lake Township. I went their around 1AM after the tornadoes came through it was surreal, I had never seen damage like that in my life. Dozens of houses leveled, the police/EMS station was torn in half, and the biggest thing was Lake HS which was completely demolished. The road was covered in debris, plywood, and metal roofing, by the time I got out they had closed the road. As many episodes of Storm stories that I have seen featuring tornado outbreaks, nothing is like seeing it in real life, it's unbelievable.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #11918 on: June 08, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
I love my Droid and the Android OS in general. Screw iPhone and iOS. :P

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: June 08, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
I love my Droid and the Android OS in general. Screw iPhone and iOS. :P

That right there is what really sets me off. I don't go around saying "Android sucks, buy an iPhone". I think Android is a phenominal OS. The Nexus One and Evo 4G are two phones that seriously made me want to switch, but in the end I prefer my iPhone. Based on that I defend my position in educated arguments, stating facts. Saying "Screw (insert competitor here)" just shows your immaturity.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: June 08, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
5MP camera? Come on they should have put 8! Video chatting is nice but its only over wifi. I would have considered switching to AT&T if they hadn't dropped their unlimited plans. Too little too late for me. Definitely sticking with my carrier and if I can get the iPhone, jailbreak it and use it with my carrier without paying half a grand, perhaps ill upgrade

Really? I bet you the 5MP camera in the iPhone 4 would beat the 8MP camera in the Evo. There's more to a camera than megapixels. Buying a phone/camera based on MP is like buying a car based on HP.

At first I was a bit skeptical about AT&T dropping the unlimited plans but think about it. How often would you use more than 2GB of data on your PHONE in one month? I know I don't, I just checked my last AT&T bill and I used 54,398kb, I'm glad that my bill will actually go down now.

Most of the crap the iPhone is getting is total BS. People just want something to b*@#h about, it happens with every device Apple makes.
Nice rant :P Well I do understand its not all about the megapixels but I really think they should have gone with a step up in that department. This is considering the claim by Jobs that this will replace your camera. A camera is more about the megapixels but they are certainly important. I am certainly not saying the iPhone is a piece of crap but I am a bit disappointed Apple is choosing to make such small changes each year to the hardware. Considering the next best phone is practically coming out every month on the Android side, they are going to need to step it up to compete. 

Regarding AT&T, I just don't understand how they can charge 30 dollars and NOT increase your cap for tethering. They are charging you for how you use your data. AT&T uses rollover minutes so why not do that for data?

But its all opinion anyway :yes: I have an Android phone as well as an iPhone. I use and love both. Shame we cant combine the best parts of all of them :P

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11921 on: June 08, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
What matters most is what you want your cell phone to do and what features are offered.  It's going to vary for everyone, so we're all stating our own opinions here based on what we like.  It just stuns me what cell phones these days can do.  All I want is one that can make a call! :P

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: June 08, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »
What matters most is what you want your cell phone to do and what features are offered.  It's going to vary for everyone, so we're all stating our own opinions here based on what we like.  It just stuns me what cell phones these days can do.  All I want is one that can make a call! :P
A phone call? What on earth is that? :P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:25:02 PM by Martin »

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #11923 on: June 08, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »

Patrick, you are SOOOOOOOO old-school. :P

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: June 08, 2010, 10:44:07 PM »
Regarding AT&T, I just don't understand how they can charge 30 dollars and NOT increase your cap for tethering. They are charging you for how you use your data. AT&T uses rollover minutes so why not do that for data?

I am in no way condoning AT&T's actions but I see why they are doing what they are. With the ease of use of the iPhone and the multitude of network heavy apps that are coming out for it AT&T is just trying to find a way to discourage people from using 3G and finding a HotSpot instead (unlimited use of AT&T hotspots is included with the data plan). However if you choose to use 3G and go over your 2GB limit they only charge $10 per each additional GB which I find reasonable. AT&T is just trying to prevent people from bringing their network to it's knees.

However AT&T has a ton of work to do to get their network up to snuff. If they could get close to Verizon's coverage they would be a serious contender in the wireless space. The only reason Verizon is so popular is their coverage, they don't have the best phones, or the best customer service. Although Verizon has it easy since they use CDMA.