June 06, 2024, 01:43:14 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787910 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #11655 on: May 16, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. I want to stream my Weatherscan XL Emulator and host my videos to a server so badly, but my parents won't open the ports on our router because they say my neighbor who has a Bachelor's in computer science told them that port fowarding is very dangerous. Not that I believe it, but they say that hackers can get into the router, control the host computer, and take their bank account info. :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #11656 on: May 16, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. I want to stream my Weatherscan XL Emulator and host my videos to a server so badly, but my parents won't open the ports on our router because they say my neighbor who has a Bachelor's in computer science told them that port fowarding is very dangerous. Not that I believe it, but they say that hackers can get into the router, control the host computer, and take their bank account info. :hmm:
Do it yourself then.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
Do it yourself then.
I would, but my parents changed the password/login name on the router. <_<
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 64
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24688
« Reply #11658 on: May 16, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »
Reset the router like how I told you on Gtalk
Edit: Disclaimer: Not Responsible for any actions you take and the results

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11659 on: May 17, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »
Use FME and stream to a streaming service like uStream or JTV.

What pisses me are  these people who are so paranoid of the internet. Sure someone could target you, one of millions of people on the internet and get into your network. Credit card information is transmitted to websites via encryption. You have a better chance of getting ripped off by someone breaking into your house or leaving your wallet somewhere. Ironic thing is these people are usually complete ignorants when it comes to browsing the web and will click any flash icon saying your computer has 900 problems, click here to fix. ~sigh~ Bachelors in computer science my ass. Pardon me but everything has risk, thats life. 

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #11660 on: May 17, 2010, 08:09:53 AM »

What pisses me are  these people who are so paranoid of the internet. Sure someone could target you, one of millions of people on the internet and get into your network. Credit card information is transmitted to websites via encryption. You have a better chance of getting ripped off by someone breaking into your house or leaving your wallet somewhere. Ironic thing is these people are usually complete ignorants when it comes to browsing the web and will click any flash icon saying your computer has 900 problems, click here to fix. ~sigh~ Bachelors in computer science my ass. Pardon me but everything has risk, thats life.

Ditto. I love it how people believe random people just because they say they have a degree in whatever. Just because someone comes up to me and says they are an ASE certified mechanic doesn't mean I'm going to let them work on my car! The two smartest tech guys I work with never went to college, they went right to work after HS, gaining experience along the way. (I in no way am condoning not going to college) But just as you said, there is such a higher risk of clicking some stupid popup and getting infected with spyware than being attacked through open ports.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #11661 on: May 17, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »
Finally an N/A report (New Bedford is also reporting N/A)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: May 17, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
Whoops, could have also said I was gonna use it to host some files as well, such as HTML templates to my videos. :bleh:

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #11663 on: May 18, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
For those of you who have my facebook, I just added an extra name on my profile. That would be my middle name. I'm doing this for safety and security reasons.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11664 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29:41 PM »
For those of you who have my facebook, I just added an extra name on my profile. That would be my middle name. I'm doing this for safety and security reasons.
Ana, adding your middle name to anything online is actually a safety and security risk.  Why do you want to do that?

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #11665 on: May 18, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
Ana, adding your middle name to anything online is actually a safety and security risk.  Why do you want to do that?

Well, it's just Facebook, nothing else. It's getting a lot more personal since I'm adding more family members. Plus there's another reason why I did that and I'd rather not say it on here. Twitter will stay the same, though.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11666 on: May 18, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
Well, it's just Facebook, nothing else. It's getting a lot more personal since I'm adding more family members. Plus there's another reason why I did that and I'd rather not say it on here. Twitter will stay the same, though.
Alright, that's fine.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #11667 on: May 18, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
So this is nice (with the exception of Friday and Saturday) :D

TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:02 PM »
I'm not even comfortable giving out my last name online other than on Facebook.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: May 18, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
I'm not even comfortable giving out my last name online other than on Facebook.
Neither am I here, but I did it with my sig here because there was a member here whom I added, and they didn't know who I was, even after me telling them "I am Zach from TWC Today". Other than that, if you were one of my original friends here from 2008, you should know my middle name by default. :bleh: