June 07, 2024, 01:15:23 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789093 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #11385 on: April 30, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »

Thanks. I take AP Govt exam Monday, AP Statistics Tuesday, AP European History Friday, AP Environmental next Tuesday and AP English Language and Composition next Wednesday. Probably AP European will be the most challenging. The rest are more time consuming more so than really difficult
I am taking AP European History next year because I'm forced to do so. AP Literature was too hard so I dropped out of that course. Is History really that bad?
I LOVE AP European but it is by far one of the hardest class I have ever taken. Thankfully I have a teacher who has given us a lot of breaks on grades over the year. AP European will likely be different than anything you have ever taken.  Very complicated stuff. In AP US History you learned one countries history, in Euro you learn about 15 and study various time periods (many that overlap each other). Those damn Europeans seemed to have a revolution every few years in every country, then erased any gains they got and started the revolutions over. Haha. Probably what I typed didn't make much sense but my point is its a very unique class that takes a lot of studying and work! I had a high B through the year. Why are you being forced to take it? I wouldn't take it unless you are really interested in it

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #11386 on: April 30, 2010, 06:22:28 PM »

Thanks. I take AP Govt exam Monday, AP Statistics Tuesday, AP European History Friday, AP Environmental next Tuesday and AP English Language and Composition next Wednesday. Probably AP European will be the most challenging. The rest are more time consuming more so than really difficult
I am taking AP European History next year because I'm forced to do so. AP Literature was too hard so I dropped out of that course. Is History really that bad?
I LOVE AP European but it is by far one of the hardest class I have ever taken. Thankfully I have a teacher who has given us a lot of breaks on grades over the year. AP European will likely be different than anything you have ever taken.  Very complicated stuff. In AP US History you learned one countries history, in Euro you learn about 15 and study various time periods (many that overlap each other). Those damn Europeans seemed to have a revolution every few years in every country, then erased any gains they got and started the revolutions over. Haha. Probably what I typed didn't make much sense but my point is its a very unique class that takes a lot of studying and work! I had a high B through the year. Why are you being forced to take it? I wouldn't take it unless you are really interested in it
I am interested in History and European history surely has interested me although I'm not "Really" interested in it. my parents are making me take AP classes and the colleges prefer that you take challengining Honors/AP courses next year in order to have a good transcript record, history, etc.

so far im taking Honors Physics, AP European History and Honors PreCalculus (precal is only an honors course in my school). I'm trying to boost my coursework load

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #11387 on: April 30, 2010, 06:38:05 PM »
EEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!! Well, I'm in for a long night (Patrick can confirm this).

I'm under the following:
  • Moderate risk of severe weather
  • 15% chance of tornadoes with hatched area
  • 30% chance of large hail with hatched area
  • 45% chance of severe wind

Ickkkkkkk. :P I've included several images, 4 of which are SPC forecasts, the other is the latest radar image. Definitely won't be pretty tonight.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: April 30, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »

I am interested in History and European history surely has interested me although I'm not "Really" interested in it. my parents are making me take AP classes and the colleges prefer that you take challengining Honors/AP courses next year in order to have a good transcript record, history, etc.

so far im taking Honors Physics, AP European History and Honors PreCalculus (precal is only an honors course in my school). I'm trying to boost my coursework load
Yea thats why I took 5AP classes this year. Does your school offer AP Government or AP US? Just curious. AP Euro is certainly an awakening when it came to history. I learned a lot about Europe and quite frankly how screwed up it was! haha I had a great teacher which made all the difference. Good luck with it next year ;)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: April 30, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »

Yea thats why I took 5AP classes this year. Does your school offer AP Government or AP US? Just curious. AP Euro is certainly an awakening when it came to history. I learned a lot about Europe and quite frankly how screwed up it was! haha I had a great teacher which made all the difference. Good luck with it next year ;)
yes they have AP US but it's only a junior class and they have AP Psychology too. My history teacher will teach it next year as well...she's a great teacher and gives relatively easy work which makes the difference :D

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: April 30, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
yes they have AP US but it's only a junior class and they have AP Psychology too. My history teacher will teach it next year as well...she's a great teacher and gives relatively easy work which makes the difference :D
[/quote]
Thats a good kind of teacher to have as a senior :D

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: April 30, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
Thats a good kind of teacher to have as a senior :D
[/quote]
yeah especially by the fact that she'll retire next year :P

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11392 on: April 30, 2010, 07:42:29 PM »

I'm under the following:

Ickkkkkkk. :P I've included several images, 4 of which are SPC forecasts, the other is the latest radar image. Definitely won't be pretty tonight.
I'll just go ahead and confirm it by saying you're under a tornado warning now.  Spotters have confirmed a tornado on the ground with significant damage reported along its path.  It looks like it'll just miss your town to the north based on how the rotation couplet is moving on radar.  Anyone in your area needs to take shelter immediately!

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #11393 on: April 30, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
I never took any AP classes, but now I wish I did because they can be counted as college credit. I only took English honors my sophomore, junior, and senior years in high school. It wasn't too bad, especially because of the four point curve I got at the end of every grading period.  :happy:

Has anyone ever heard the Allen Jackson narration for "muggy"? I just heard him say that for the forecast tomorrow night.  He has said "humid" every now and then, but never "muggy." It's going to be a pretty sticky, soupy night in New Orleans tomorrow. (That's just the type of uncomfortable weather we need for the people assessing the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:26:00 PM by twcfan68 »

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: April 30, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
Never even been close to being eligible to take AP courses... gotta love mental disabilities. <_<

Christina, I've only heard "muggy" here once back in 2007. I'm pretty sure I have video of this. Apparently it's rarely used, and we get nights like this a lot during the summer time whenever we get a southwesterly flow towards us.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #11395 on: April 30, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »
Well, taking any honors or AP course is very challenging. It's not so much the greater workload you have but the pace in which the teacher likes to move is faster than that of a CP course (CP stands for "cool people").  B)  I rarely got a break from doing assignments in English; that's why I never took any more honors classes after that because I would have surely had a mental breakdown.

Ah, I'll have to look for that video. Thanks, Mike. I guess I'm lucky to have caught that narration.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #11396 on: April 30, 2010, 08:43:53 PM »
I never took any AP classes, but now I wish I did because they can be counted as college credit. I only took English honors my sophomore, junior, and senior years in high school. It wasn't too bad, especially because of the four point curve I got at the end of every grading period.  :happy:

Has anyone ever heard the Allen Jackson narration for "muggy"? I just heard him say that for the forecast tomorrow night.  He has said "humid" every now and then, but never "muggy." It's going to be a pretty sticky, soupy night in New Orleans tomorrow. (That's just the type of uncomfortable weather we need for the people assessing the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.)

Funny you mentioned that Christina, I just heard the narration for muggy on my IntelliStar a few minutes ago.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #11397 on: April 30, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »
I think I may have seen it once down in Lansing and once in Ohio years ago.

But yeah, that oil spill truly is starting to be a major concern. I sure hope those assessing and attempting to fix the issue are doing everything they possibly can. Lots of officials will be under intense scrutiny the next few weeks, I'm sure. Also, I wonder... might this do anything to tropical developments this summer in the Gulf?
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #11398 on: April 30, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »

I'm under the following:

I'll just go ahead and confirm it by saying you're under a tornado warning now.  Spotters have confirmed a tornado on the ground with significant damage reported along its path.  It looks like it'll just miss your town to the north based on how the rotation couplet is moving on radar.  Anyone in your area needs to take shelter immediately!

Reports:
  • Large tornado
  • Wedge tornado
  • 1+" hail
  • Debris falling (a la tree limbs)
  • Roof torn off a shut-down museum

All just from Twitter and my dad (who was in Willow Springs). Unbelieveable...at night and a rain-wrapped tornado. If you were watching TWC, the damage path was ~1mi wide and had quite a long track. Dr. Forbes was really concerned with it. My dad is safe. I forced him to get into a shelter before it got there. ;) By phone. Because I'm THAT good.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #11399 on: April 30, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »

I'm under the following:

The SPC upgraded most of AR to a HIGH risk now.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA